News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New member/questions about the Tiger

Started by ram600, October 09, 2003, 05:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sycamoredave

Quote from: "BigDave"
Quote from: "Blacktiger"IMHO the V-Strom IS ugly. It looks like none of the bits were designed to go with the one next to it.

It weighs about the same as the Tiger. Has about the same power.

I am not sure what bhp rating the Strom has, but in the real world the engine doesn't come close to the 955.  In fact in comparison I felt it was underpowered and sluggish.  I only spent 20 minutes on a Strom last Summer at about 9000' and I thought it was a nice bike, but it doesn't have an engine like the Tiger.

I have ridden the VStrom, a 2003 Tiger, and own a '96 Tiger.  The VStrom is butt ugly, or I would probably have bought it.  The bike handles very well, with a light front end, and great seating position.  I really liked the instrumentation, including the 6th gear overdrive indicator light.  I would want a taller windscreen, but the buffeting wasn't that bad.  I thought the engine was very responsive, and felt little difference in power from the 2003 Tiger.  I don't think it is built nearly as rugged as the Tigers, and it doesn't have that great triple sound.  It is about $1000 cheaper than a new Tiger, and in my case, is supported by a much better dealer.  

I think your choice of bike has to be a combination of economics, dealer strength, intended use, and of course, personal taste.   It is a buyers market ....  Have fun!

Ride safe ...

8)
Dave Ewart

Mount Vernon, OH

\'96 Tiger

\'94 Honda PC800

\'81 Suzi GS750EX

tenpaq

Quote from: "Cache"BTW, you sound like my kinda rider.  Some stiff competition...

Quote from: "Blacktiger"See you in the pub!

I'll get the beers in while I wait for you to catch up. Te he!

Thats it you two!!! Don`t make me bring my 04 and Metzlers to y`all`s neighborhood!!!   mainly cause I don`t know what state y`all live in...
\"If you can`t get hurt, skip it!\"

2004 Silver Tiger

Cache

Quote from: "tenpaq"
Quote from: "Cache"BTW, you sound like my kinda rider.  Some stiff competition...

Thats it you two!!! Don`t make me bring my 04 and Metzlers to y`all`s neighborhood!!!   mainly cause I don`t know what state y`all live in...

Git yer asses up here to iglooland...  British Columbia for next years repeat of this ride...  RedMenace, I expect to see you and your sidekick, I mean sidecar too!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ght=loaded
\"Ah but fortunately... I have the key, to escape reality\" - John Prine

Quote from: "Cache"[  Have you tried the Anakees Blacktiger?  The Pirelli ATs??  Whats your opinion?

Thanks,  Cache

For the 20K miles I've done since new, I've stuck with the Metzeller Tourances that were original fitment on my bike. I really cannot fault them. They allow peg scraping lean angles without complaint and I get 8000 miles from a rear, 12000 from a front. The good mileages may be because my tyres don't square off. I'm always right over on the edge scraping those pegs. :twisted:

I do know some BMW GS riders who've tried the Anakees. They say that they are "almost" as good as the Metzellers.

tenpaq

Quote from: "Cache"
Quote from: "tenpaq"

Git yer asses up here to iglooland...  British Columbia for next years repeat of this ride...  RedMenace, I expect to see you and your sidekick, I mean sidecar too!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ght=loaded
All i can say is (i reviewed the whole trip u guys took) that trip looked totaly AWsome, words fail on this one!! i`m in this flat ass florida shiot and gatta make a trip like that someday!! Oh yeah, now i relize  i have one of the new "Girly Tigers" after seein all the roadwarriors on that trip!! i`ll probably crash it on purpose a couple of times before i come up there, because you fuders ain`t "Raggin "on me the whole time!! Again , OUTstanding Story and Pictures.
\"If you can`t get hurt, skip it!\"

2004 Silver Tiger

Cache

lol Tenpaq, glad you took the time to sift thru all that and enjoyed it.  It truly was an awesome trip.  A day short IMO.  However, considering my Tiger let me down, I wouldn't have enjoyed another day.  Next year will be a different story.  I've re-enforced that subframe and am in the process of giving it all the preventive maintenance and TLC she needs.  I'm lookin' forward to Loadedpalooza 2.  I imagine there'll be a few more bikes next year.  Great bunch of guys, good sense of humor and the older folks were surprisingly great and fast riders.  Trailer your bike up to Oregon, meet up with RedMenace and pick up the doods in Warshington on the way ;-)  TIGERS BABY!!!  All things considered, they kick ass.
\"Ah but fortunately... I have the key, to escape reality\" - John Prine