News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Another New Member's Questions About The Tiger

Started by TedH, October 16, 2003, 01:07:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedH

After a test ride I've decided that a Tiger is going to be my next bike. But, I've still more to learn before making the purchase, so I'd appreciate your help/advice on the following:

1. Why are some Tigers called "steamers?"

2. What's a Hinkley?

3. I'm mostly interested in a used Tiger; are there any recent model years that are better than others?

4. Which are the best Triumph dealers in the Los Angeles area?

5. How many watts does the alternator output? :?:

Ted

TigerTrax

1. Steamers: Carbuerated Models ( '95 - some '99's )

These are mules that built the race track for the

EFI thorobreds! ( I hate those guys! )

2. Hinkley: The NEW engines now in Tigers... excellent!

3. I would not go back beyond '98.

'99 - 2001 were in the midst of some major changes.  

Some are good bikes/some have twitchy little  problems.

Some pre-99  models have 'sprag clutch problems'. This seems to be  caused by attempting to start the bike if the battery is weak. Evidently the clutch binds up and you end up spending a big wad.

Always make certain your battery is getting a full charge. First sign of weakness, get a new one.

Also, many 95-98 models have alternator internal bolt problems. The alternator makes a noise like a marble in an empty paint can. It is easily repaired ... if you take care of it at once. Let it slide and fork over $400 - $800! My '98 has 43,000 miles on it ... runs strong!

4. The dealer you want is the guy who KNOWS Triumph.

I'd stop in and see them ...

Check Cycletrader.com

5  If you try to figure that out ... you'll cry!  

Many claim not enough, most

don't know (me ) , but one of Baxter Cycle guys (mecca for Triumph in USA) has taken his '95 Steamer and hooked up aux lights, plug-in vest, heated grips .... with meter hooked up as each item turned on ... he

said he was still full charging with everything turned on.

Made me feel better .... I'll find out this winter!

I'd sell you mine but I'm riding it up to Alaska next July!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

TedH

TigerTrax,

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I don't need to know exactly how many watts the alternator puts out- it's enough to know that a Tiger will run all the electrical gear you listed.

Ted

Quote from: "TigerTrax"2. Hinkley: The NEW engines now in Tigers... excellent

!

A small correction  :- Hinckley is where the present Triumph factory is located in the UK. As opposed to Meriden. Where the OLD pre-1991 Triumphs were built.

People over here refer to the old ones as "Meriden Triumphs". And the new ones as "Hinckley Triumphs".

TedH

It sounds like Meridian is good but Hinkley is better.

So, BlackTiger, where is St. Leonards on the Sea?

AK Tiger

Hi Ted - I purchased my '01 Tiger at So. Cal. Triumph in Brea, CA.  It's about 4700 miles from home but the bottom line was that they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.  The folks in Alaska are nice enough and I've purchased most of my parts and accessories from them, but they were almost $2K (!) higher than So. Cal.  It was worth the trip
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

TedH

AK ,

Thanks for the tip on So Cal Triumph in Brea. I'll only have to travel about 47 miles, 1% the distance you traveled, to check them out this weekend.

Ted

MikeF

TEDH, I bought my new Tiger at  SoCal and I was treated right. They had a used 2000 or 01 (I think) that they let me take for a ride and also let me take a speed triple out too. They also let me ride a Ducati Multistrada to compare that to the Tiger. To me the tiger was better but it was fun to get to try it anyway as I would have always wondered if I should have bought that.