News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Maxxis Presa Detours - First Impressions

Started by WIDGIN, August 05, 2007, 09:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WIDGIN

Went up to the N GA mountains today to scrub in the new shoes.  First thing I noticed is that these tires sing.  Not terribly loud or obnoxious, but about the same sound level as the triples whistle and geartrain noise.  Sounds a little like you're driving a Jeep with stock tires down the road.  

You can distinctly feel the large treadblocks when putting around the parking lot.  However, once on the road, they feel quite smooth.  I did notice that you can feel road imperfections more clearly than with Anakees.  I think that they may have a slightly quicker turn-in but difficult to compare worn tires with new.    

How do they grip?  Well, I babied them during the morning, trying to lean progressively to scrub in the sides of the tread without experiencing any sudden loss of grip.  Many thanks to the Ducati ahead of me picking nice lines at a quick yet leisurely pace which allowed me to concentrate on gradually expanding my lean angles.

I then hit a few gravel, rock, and light sand roads.  These tires are tremendously better than Anakees in this element.  Their large sipes provide much bettter grip and the bike felt very well planted.  Didn't test powersliding around a corner but think they possibly may be up to the task with the nice sized blocks running partially up the sidewalls.

Back to the road.  After I'd run them about 150 miles, I had a couple of sportbikes following me back down route 60 and I decided the tires were sufficiently scrubbed to find out if these sportbikes were posers or just relaxing for a bit.  After a few corners taken at higher speeds, the posers disappeared from the mirrors never to be seen again.  

Do the Maxxis tires stick as well as Anakees?  I can't be sure since I was not in a tremendous rush to slide them today.  But I'm satisfied that you'd have to be pushing the Tiger quite hard to notice a loss of grip.

Of course, Mother Nature wouldn't let me scrub in new tires without testing their wet ability.  Although I didn't run through a Georgia downpour, I was running through decent rain for awhile and felt secure despite the greasy roads.  Luckily, this came near the end of the ride and the tires were already decently scrubbed in.  

Summation:  When I bought these Presa Detours I felt they would be an 80/20 (road/dirt) tire at best.  But now, I think I may consider them a 70/30 or 65/35 tire.  For the type of riding I do, if they last 5,000 miles (like the Anakees did), I've found a favorite. :D
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

Stretch

I've seen pics of them on the manufacturer's website, but would you post a photo of them mounted and used?

Thanks.

abruzzi

I'm happy with mine so far.  They did surprisingly well in rocky, sandy, badly maintained fire roads.  I didn't fall once which is a testament to their grip. :-)  The only real unknown is treadlife.  I'm expecting 10k, since I now have 2k on them and they seem barely worn.

Geof

abruzzi

Quote from: "Stretch"I've seen pics of them on the manufacturer's website, but would you post a photo of them mounted and used?

Thanks.

If I get a chance, I'll get some closeups.

Geof

tigerrider

These will likely be my next choice after my Tourances wear out.

Thanks for the detailed write up!

Wanna show them off this coming weekend for an early morning run to Coopers? :wink:

WIDGIN

Quote from: "tigerrider"Wanna show them off this coming weekend for an early morning run to Coopers? :wink:

Tigerrider,

I could probably get away Sunday morning.  The earlier, the better!
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

tigerrider

Let's try for Sunday then...I will PM you and Stretch.