News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How about maintenance?

Started by looch, October 21, 2003, 10:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

looch

Haven't heard too much mentioned about maintenance on this machine. I'm very much into doing my own work, both for convenience and quality control reasons.

Is it feasible for a shade tree mechanic (save fuel injection, ecm stuff). Are there reources available (shop manuals?). Hey, BigDave, no Wrenching forum?
Looch

BigDave

Well I'm not the best person to ask about serious mechanics.  I used to tear apart carbs and 2 strokes but modern four strokes and EFI is way passed me.  I too would like to do some maintenance.  I am getting a shop manual from www.hermys.com  as they do Triumph parts at 10% off.

I originally had a mechanical forum called "Vet Clinic" but I consolidated that and a few other forums into the General Tiger forum.  As things grow, I may make a separate wrenchin' forum.

zombie

Right now I have my tiger apart and I would be willing to write a couple of articles detailing maintenance.

I think the first one will be on valve adjustments as most of the work is taking the thing apart and it is realatively easy to check the valves ..

I don't have a digital camera but should have one in a couple of weeks.

If you are going to do valves there is a couple of tools that you will need to get that are relatively inexpensive.

I have 20k on my bike and the valves are still in spec

looch

QuoteI am getting a shop manual from www.hermys.com as they do Triumph parts at 10% off.

Thanks! I googled for shop manuals yesterday and couldn't find anything for 2001 and later.

Zombie - It's my understanding that the valves use a shim/bucket set-up, just like my F650. The only special tools I required for that were a torque wrench and some feeler gauges. DO get yourself a digital camera. I went without one for a long time and now use it all the time. Great little tool for taking pics of complex assemblies before dismantling them. I have a Canon S230, which is a great little camera - but way overkill if all you want to do is post stuff to the Internet. I degrade my shots by about 80% before I post.
Looch