News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Which one is best?

Started by Scouser, December 12, 2003, 01:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scouser

I've been lurking around this site for a while trying to get a feel for which  model Tiger is the best?   I currently have a 98 Speed Triple which I absolutly love, but I'm willing to give up in order to get a Tiger.  I've had no problems with the Trip and think the motor is excellent, so would be more than happy with same in a tiger, but the question is:  Is the extra expense of a newer model worth it .  Would really appreciate all your comments on the pros and cons of all earlier and later  models .

BykBoy

Go with the 955i models (2001 - current). It's all about the power... You can find some great deals if you are willing to travel. I got mine in LA and drove it back to Washington DC.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

Chris Canning

I've had two 900i's,nice bikes steady,and get the job done, but the 955 is way better,suspension(but still needs work)but it's the motor that makes the difference it's shed loads better!!!!!!!,one of the enjoyable  things of rideing a 955 is bumping into someone rideing an 1150 GS,that is on the rare occasion you find someone rideing one quickly!!! they do have some advantages,but you can murder e'm every time with the motor.

Chris

sycamoredave

I'm not necessarily convinced that the motor is that much better on the new Tigers, but the other things they have fixed are a big deal.  The older bikes have some problems with the starter sprag clutch, and that is a very expensive fix.  I think the suspension is also a lot better on the 955i.   Fortunately (or unfortunately) Triumphs depreciate pretty rapidly.  You should be able to find a used 955i for a reasonable price. 8)
Dave Ewart

Mount Vernon, OH

\'96 Tiger

\'94 Honda PC800

\'81 Suzi GS750EX

RobZ

Quote from: "BykBoy"Go with the 955i models (2001 - current). It's all about the power... You can find some great deals if you are willing to travel. I got mine in LA and drove it back to Washington DC.

Black ones are faster   :D

tenpaq

955i, screams period! don`t travel much, go down one tooth on front sprocket and do smooth low roll on wheelies in first comeing out of red lites all day long! no herky jerky, wheel comes up about a foot or so and lasts for about 40 - 50 ft. it just feels cool to me! Oh and the "Silvers" are faster , why i don`t no! :D
\"If you can`t get hurt, skip it!\"

2004 Silver Tiger

Quote from: "tenpaq"Oh and the "Silvers" are faster , why i don`t no! :D

No. Sorry you're wrong.

I beat three silver ones winning the French Mistral run this year. Black is the fast colour/shade.

tenpaq

Quote from: "Blacktiger"
Quote from: "tenpaq"Oh and the "Silvers" are faster , why i don`t no! :D

No. Sorry you're wrong.

I beat three silver ones winning the French Mistral run this year. Black is the fast colour/shade.
the what, who, when, were??? ok, while i`m on my 04 "Silver Tiger" they are the fastest ! I don`t mean to brag but i`m # 1+ here in the U.S.! just because most of the kids in my nieghbor hood ride 50cc scooters shouldn`t matter. they have the "AGE" thing goin for them! Oh, and If i want to, i could scrape my pegs all day long if I wanted too! It`s just that my bike is brand new and I don`t want any scratches.

2004 Silver Tiger

Lucifertiger

You are all wrong, I had a 2002 Black & a 2003 Lucifer Orange, the lucifer one is definately quicker, leaves my riding partner on his Black GS1150 in my wake! too :twisted:

Quote from: "Lucifertiger"You are all wrong, I had a 2002 Black & a 2003 Lucifer Orange, the lucifer one is definately quicker, leaves my riding partner on his Black GS1150 in my wake! too :twisted:

I think you must be colour blind. :?

BigDave

Quote from: "Chris Canning"I've had two 900i's,nice bikes steady,and get the job done, but the 955 is way better,suspension(but still needs work)but it's the motor that makes the difference it's shed loads better!!!!!!!,one of the enjoyable  things of rideing a 955 is bumping into someone rideing an 1150 GS,that is on the rare occasion you find someone rideing one quickly!!! they do have some advantages,but you can murder e'm every time with the motor.

Chris

I agree, the newest is the best.  The 955 is a top notch motor.

As far as "mudering" a GS, I'd say the Tiger will definety beat the GS is a drag race, but once we get into the corners, the GS puts the Tiger in the hospital, period.

Chris Canning

Hi Dave

I like a man with a sense of humour,or is that a bad memory!!! I also own a BMW 1100s I've had it 4 years Ohlins,Dymags,AP 6 pot brakes and god only knows what else,but i'd be more than happy to take it on with the Tiger,never mind an 1150 GS,nice and practical??? without a doubt exciteing???? get outahere!!!!!!!,but i'll give one thing when your rideing hard, two up there's no getting nutted in the back of the head!!.

Chris

BigDave

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Hi Dave

I like a man with a sense of humour,or is that a bad memory!!! I also own a BMW 1100s I've had it 4 years Ohlins,Dymags,AP 6 pot brakes and god only knows what else,but i'd be more than happy to take it on with the Tiger,never mind an 1150 GS,nice and practical??? without a doubt exciteing???? get outahere!!!!!!!,but i'll give one thing when your rideing hard, two up there's no getting nutted in the back of the head!!.

Chris

uh....what? :?:

translation please...

Chris Canning

What is it you need a translation on Dave,how wonderfully practical BM's are or how bloody boreing they can be,and i can say that as someone who's had one four years!!!!.

Chris

tenpaq

From what I have read, and it has been quite alot. The "Tiger" spanks the "BMW" EVERYWHERE! Except the status symbol area and front end dive. Pop in a set of "White Power" fork springs and you`ll be fine. The "Tiger" is the do it all machine.  "Gs`s" do look alot (way) more industrial, which is really cool. also check the blinker set-up on a "Gs"if ya ever get a chance.???   Just do your research, cause it`s all over the Web in spades.

2004 Silver Tiger