News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Tiger query

Started by Jim S, August 21, 2007, 04:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty

Quote from: "rxcoop"monty....question, comment, ???
Sorry, don't understand?? :?:
Bill Montgomery

droopydawg

Just coming across this post, so it is late in respsonse.
07 Tiger 1050, 14,600+ miles and no, I repeat, NO oil consumption.  ZERO, NADA, ZILCH.  I change it 3000 to 5000 miles, use the stock oil filter and use Royal Purple full syn oil.  It is always on-line when I check it.
The one and only time I lost oil, was when I did not change out the crush washer. I find the suspension very adequate.  Cold cranking AMPS suck, as it is very hesitant to start when it is below 40F. The alternator went out at 4500 miles and was replaced under warranty.  Replaced rear worn tire with a Dunlop D616, and much more pleased with the results.

To add....regarding the break in procedures that I followed.  I did not follow what the sticker on the tank said.  The sticker says not to exceed certain rpms. If you are contant on the trottle, the rings wont have a chance to seat properly, cylinder walls will varnish and oil will blow past.  When I was breaking mine in, I flucuated my RPMS up and down over what the sticker said. Not excessively, but I was not anal about keeping within the recommendation. Currently while riding, I dont go over 6000 rpms.  I have not need to.

Jamming

Quote from: "Jim S"I find it hard to believe there's no comments from new Tiger owners to confirm or deny the issue of oil usage I've highlighted.

I'm only trying to get a true picture of the extent of this problem. I would have considered a new Tiger in the future but the info I've got so far is they have an oil consumption issue. Come on guys, let me know one way or the other.

Jim, 18,000 miles in 6 months on my Roadie 1050. No oil usage and the motor has been bullet-proof. In case you think I've been easy on it, I have not. Mine sees 85+ MPH EVERYDAY and lives above 5000 RPM.

My Tiger is my everyday transportation. he has seen 30 Degree days and 100+ F days for months on end in Arizona.

The Internet makes small problems a few people have seem gargantian in proportion. Yes there's been issues for a FEW people, but I wouldn't let it scare me away from a GREEEAAATTTTT Motorcycle.

I've got a million plus miles on 2 wheels and the Tiger is one of the best I've had the pleasure of owning.

Don't get the Triumph bags, get the Trax bags and the TOR pipe. Then ride it.

abruzzi

Yeah, I figured all that oil consumption nonsense was just that--nonsense.  The 1050 on my speed triple is bullet-proof, and dosn't burn a drop of oil.

Geof