News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A verklimt Pre-Tiger fellow (LONG)

Started by echoyankee, December 19, 2003, 02:09:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

echoyankee

Greetings All:

My First Post.

I've been aboard my"beginner bike" for four years now.  It's a 1996 Yamaha SecaII with an air cooled 50hp in line 4 that displaces just under 600cc's.  I bought it used and it was 4 years old at the time I bought it.  At present, the motorcycle is running just fine and I've poured some pretty serious maintenance dollars into it along the way to keep it that way.  So, whlie it's doing well and nothing is broken, I'd thought to sell it to another novice who can do nasty things to it.  

In the Fall of this year, I returned to the same electronic resource where I found my beginner bike and discovered a black, '99 80hp steamer for sale with hard cases.  I was smitten.  It matched my hp requirements as an intermediate level bike and seemed to be the all purpose bike that I was interested in, with comfort for disatancebut no FUEL INJECTION.  

I had never pegged myself for a DP rider.  Always had just about enough things to manage on the road as it stands without throwing in some more variables into the mix.  I had passed a yellow Tiger, also a steamer, in my neighborhood on my way back and forth from work many a time and took note of this large, ungainly YELLOW thing and just kept on going.  It never really spoke to me and I'm more of a sport-touring, errand running fellow who usually makes use of mass transit or a bicycle for my 1 mile trip  to work.    

Since my initial discovery and smittenhood (?) I have done an amount of research into the Tiger that almost warrants some psychological care.  In that time, the original object of my lust had sold or been removed from the web.  This, it seems is for the better.  I've learned that the '01-'03+ 955i's are the way to go.  Sadly, in my case, this now puts the power output beyond what I consider to be an 'intermediate level' motorcycle.  This didn't put me off though:

I also went to visit the closest Triumph dealer and sat on a Lucifer Orange tiger and looked it over in great detail with an especially critical eye for maintenance issues as my japanese bike has had an understandable number of problems given its age, but, given it's simple design and air cooling has had no real problems with the motor.

There are some real issues I have with the Tiger:

-The Triumph dealer I visited in Lodi, NJ charges $80/hr for labor.  This is more exorbitant than the $65/hr rate of my MANHATTAN shop which I would grant a little more leeway to in this regard.  The owner, to his credit, is ringed with some 4-6 HD dealerships and if he can't keep his business alive with sales, he's going to recoup with charging a premium for service.  Now, I have done some serious wrenching aboard the japanese bike.  My oil changes are done by me personally and I have swapped out the rear suspension.  I'm the type who prefers to check the manual and see if it's simple enough for me to turn my own screws and bolts to save an hour's worth of labor charges.  

-On the orange model I was able to look at, the braided steel oil lines leading to the cooler were kinked or damaged.  For a quality conscious guy, this, on an unridden motorcycle was a big dissappointment.  

-Like others, I found the bash plate to be misplaced and/or inadequate without much sheilding for the coolant or oil lines from things kicked up from the road surface.  

-I can't believe that the coolant reservoir is next to the instrument cluster.  If I decide to bang into something, I'd rather not have my journey to the front of the motorcycle complicated by a geyser of scalding hot coolant flying out of the instruments.  If I overfill or (as I have read) just fill the reservoir, coolant will seep out of the machine right in the cockpit.  

-The fuel disconnects are laughable as I've read about here and at the other boards but sadly, it's not limited to the fuel connects.  I was underwhelmed by the coolant reservoir closure and the oil dipstick.  

-I do like the upright riding posture in the Tiger.  I'm becoming more amenable to trip taking aboard the motorcycle and I don't like the idea of being hunched over on my wrists.

-I like the lock-able hard cases.  For trip-taking as above, but also, as it stands, I have to remove EVERYTHING from the motorcycle and put it in my bag when I leave the bike.  In my current riding area, it's well known that if it's not bolted down, it will walk away.

-I like the windshield and the fact that there is an option for a bigger one.  Very nice.

-I hate the stripes and eyelashes.

-I've already got a centerstand on my beginnerbike and can't imagine life without it.  

-I like the novelty of the Triumph marque.  Sounds shallow, but I like the idea of riding something that not everyone else is aboard, y'know?

-Supposedly the exhaust note of the bike is fine.  In my original beginner bike purchase, this was a non-issue.  Since then, I've acquired a riding buddy who's aboard an F650 which has a very lawnmower note to it that I find a bit underwhelming.  This same buddy, when I started my bike for him for the first time said to me, "Whoah, that's manly."  (honest.)  Now, I don't want to detonate car alarms along the streets as I go.  In fact, I'd like to be able to move through a campground at night without attracting dirty looks.  Sadly, I have yet to hear any 955i running.  The Tiger I was looking at at the dealership was not 'prepped' and had no fuel or battery aboard.  

-The fact that I have to buy proprietary motor oil for the motorcycle is absurd.  I change my own oil with a trip to the auto store for a total of some $18 including an overpriced oil filter that I don't have the good sense to order online.  

When Big Dave posted about his transfer to the GS, it almost slammed the door totally shut on my days thinking about the Tiger.  Then, a brochure arrived in the mail from Triumph (with a paltry single page for the tiger, the bike I was most interested in) and I read something most interesting which is why I finally registered here and decided to post this.

You see, in the back of the brochure for the sports and sport touring Triumph bikes, there is a little asterisk next to the model name of the Tiger.  Well, at the back of the brochure, buried in the fine print is a little disclaimer that essentially reads that 'this motorcycle isn't really supposed to go off road and if you take it there, there is a risk that you'll lose control and fall down.'

Then it all became clear.  This bike was never meant to do what Big Dave had asked it to do.  It COULD, however, do what I'm asking of it.  I think that the most off roading that I would ever do would be on a gravel driveway.  Well, for a bike that's not supposed to go off road, this bike has some really superfluous crap aboard.  The long travel suspension (I don't like that it plows down under hard braking) and spoke wheels are essentially for decoration.  Though, I've read that the gooey suspension can be a bonus for the less than perfect road surfaces that can be found in abundance.  

And what about the Sprint?  Well, I got a chance to sit on the Sprint when I was at the dealer.  I like the idea of the exhaust not interfering with the luggage.  I found it a bit too leaned forward (I guess the word is 'sporty') in terms of riding position.  I'll have to refine my opinion at the international motorcycle show I guess.  The Sprint doesn't have the "all purpose" character that the Tiger does.  The Tiger can go to the supermarket or for a 200mile day trip or for a trip downtown to meet friends for dinner.  I can't see the Sprint pulling up into a supermarket parking space.  

All of this is compounded by the fact that my job situation is on a knife edge (partially my fault, partially the fault of my boss) and I don't like the idea of spending extra on the Sprint.  Buying used will be the way I go.

At the same time I don't think I can let the approx $2700-$3000 equity in my beginner bike just get whittled away.  I'd like to have that equity go toward the purchase of my next bike.  The other contenders are the FZ6 and the DL650.  I'm having a hard time shaking my enthusiasm for the Tiger though.  It just seems very fraught with loose ends and inconsistencies.  

If you think any of my fears are unfounded or have anything that might help, please let me know.  

Many thanks for your time and patience.

Best,

echoyankee

AK Tiger

Yo, Echoyankee...   Sounds like you're really trying to talk yourself out of this bike.  Look at any machine long enough and you'll find "warts".  If you've hung around this web site long enough, you know that we, as Tiger owners, take them most anywhere we want to go (excepting sand washes, that'd be a bad move), tour with them under adverse conditions, do Iron Butt type rides on them that make sane people blanch, and generally love our bikes.

You'll also find that many of us agree with you on several points such as the issue of the center stand.  You're right, it should be standard equipment and the bash place is wholey unsuitable for serious off-roading.  You're also right that there are other bikes available for less money, but none, IMHO that do everything as well as this bike does.  But that's just my opinion.  I like the bike, I have no desire to sell it and purchase anything else.  If there are assembly errors on the unit you saw, look at another unit.  Mine has performed flawlessly for thousands of miles in rain, some snow, cold, dirt roads, blazing sun, and done so both two-up and by myself.  If you're concerned by the disclaimer that you may fall down in the dirt and get hurt, look at the disclaimer on most off-road specific machines.  Lastly, that "superfluous crap" as you call the long travel suspension is WONDERFUL on dirt roads or pavement breaks.  I love it, especially up here in Alaska.  I've ridden almost 1500 miles in 24 hours and can vouch for the bike's ability to "take it" without causing undue disconfort.

If all goes according to plan, my Tiger and I are going on a 18 K mile trip around the U.S. this summer and fulfill the requirement for several IBA rides including Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Key West, Florida  and the SCMA Four Corners Tour.  It's the Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles.  I'd respectfully suggest looking at the bike again before you successfully talk yourself out of a fine machine.

Darrell
Darrell
IBA 16091
2005 Tiger
2002 Tiger (Deceased - Killed by a suicidal caribou)

echoyankee

Geeze, I just came back to read this post afer all this time.  

I guess I was really trying to talk myself out of the Tiger.  

I just wanted to share that my 'smittenhood' got the best of me and I purchased a 2001 Triumph Tiger, in black, over the holiday weekend here.  

I'm still a little numb.  Happy-numb.

And that beginner motorycle that I'd been so hesitant to get off of?  Well, that's now for sale:

http://home.earthlink.net/~efy1

I'll be back with questions galore I'm sure.  

Best,

echoyankee

Sasquatch

Quote from: "echoyankee"There are some real issues I have with the Tiger:

-The Triumph dealer I visited in Lodi, NJ charges $80/hr for labor.  This is more exorbitant than the $65/hr rate of my MANHATTAN shop which I would grant a little more leeway to in this regard.  The owner, to his credit, is ringed with some 4-6 HD dealerships and if he can't keep his business alive with sales, he's going to recoup with charging a premium for service.  Now, I have done some serious wrenching aboard the japanese bike.  My oil changes are done by me personally and I have swapped out the rear suspension.  I'm the type who prefers to check the manual and see if it's simple enough for me to turn my own screws and bolts to save an hour's worth of labor charges.

Do your own work.  It is a well laid out bike and quite easy to service.

Quote from: "echoyankee"-Like others, I found the bash plate to be misplaced and/or inadequate without much sheilding for the coolant or oil lines from things kicked up from the road surface.

There are aftermarket alternatives out there.

Quote from: "echoyankee"-I can't believe that the coolant reservoir is next to the instrument cluster.  If I decide to bang into something, I'd rather not have my journey to the front of the motorcycle complicated by a geyser of scalding hot coolant flying out of the instruments.  If I overfill or (as I have read) just fill the reservoir, coolant will seep out of the machine right in the cockpit.

Incorrect.  It is simply a reservoir.  NOT under pressure.  To fill the coolant, pulling the tank to get at the radiator is needed.  Not a hard thing to do once you have done it once.

Quote from: "echoyankee"-The fuel disconnects are laughable as I've read about here and at the other boards but sadly, it's not limited to the fuel connects.  I was underwhelmed by the coolant reservoir closure and the oil dipstick.

Again, there is an aftermarket fix for the fuel disconnect.  In my opinion, the only real service issue on the tiger.

Quote from: "echoyankee"Sadly, I have yet to hear any 955i running.  The Tiger I was looking at at the dealership was not 'prepped' and had no fuel or battery aboard.

Pure music.  Once you hear it, you will be bitten by it's sound.

Quote from: "echoyankee"-The fact that I have to buy proprietary motor oil for the motorcycle is absurd.  I change my own oil with a trip to the auto store for a total of some $18 including an overpriced oil filter that I don't have the good sense to order online.  

I do not use Triumph oil.  I simply use Mobil 1 15w/50 that I buy at my local auto parts store.  I also use an $8 NAPA oil filter.  But even if I used the triumph oil, the oil changes are at 7,500 miles.  If you really consider the long run, it is not that expensive.

Quote from: "echoyankee"When Big Dave posted about his transfer to the GS, it almost slammed the door totally shut on my days thinking about the Tiger.  ........  Well, at the back of the brochure, buried in the fine print is a little disclaimer that essentially reads that 'this motorcycle isn't really supposed to go off road and if you take it there, there is a risk that you'll lose control and fall down.'

Then it all became clear.  This bike was never meant to do what Big Dave had asked it to do.  

BigDave is a wuss (in the nicest way, of course..).  The Tiger is infanatly more capable off road than the GS.  I have done more serious off roading this spring alone on my Tiger than 99% of GS owners will do in their lifetime.  Look at:

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=256

After riding the Tiger, the GS feels like you are riding a water buffalo.  Do not be afraid of venturing off the tarmac with the Tiger.  Lower the pressure in the tires about 10 psi and it will handle just fine.