News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

My new steamer

Started by andnew, September 05, 2007, 03:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Quote from: "andnew"I've put about 300 miles on the rig since Friday. I also had to do some maintenance.

Adjusted steering bearings
lowered tire pressures
set Penske shock for my weight and riding style
Adjust and lube chain
test the Corbin and decided it sucks ass
upgraded to Pro-Taper bars, originals were bent
remove bar risers
Start working on a belcrank system to fix the shift pattern.
replaced front brakes after completely cleaning and flushing the system
Order new rear tire to match the new front (d607)
Started search for spare wheels, want a set with TKC80's ready to bolt up

I idd about 40 miles in the dirt, not bad! This thing feels like a mosquito compared to the Beemer sled.

So begins the quest for a trip to the great white north.

NICE!

I have a love/hate relationship with my Corbin.  It's so freakin' wide that it cuts the circulation off to my feet, but it's still so much better than my stocker for long distance.  If I'm going off roading I use the stocker, though - since I can get my feet down better with it.

Why spare wheels for TKCs?  Mileage?  Or because you REALLY push it on the street?

If you're going dirt riding on your big trip up north add to your list an air filter mod.  Not sure yet exactly what that mod is - pods?  I'm jetted to run both sides of my airbox open and use pre-filters over the intakes...that helps some.  A shield would be nice to block the dirt from the rear wheel being thrown up directly into them, though...there really isn't a bolt on fix...

'belcrank system'?
\'96 Steamer

andnew

Ah! You noticed!

The bike will be used in nice weather for commuting. If you think the TKC's will fit that bill, and they are cheaper than the D607's, I'm all in!

The front is new and the rear is toast. so I already ordered a matching rear.

I live about 5 miles from mountain access and can hit FS roads in less than that. So the bike really will be offroad a lot. I have a backup bike and cage if things go really bad.  :D

This Tiger is hiding a Daytona motor and as such has a reverse shift drum to account for the upper reversed shifter on the Daytona.

I LOVE the extra HP so I need to make it more intuitive to shift. The reverse pattern is annoying.

So, if I machine a bellcrank to change direction with another small piece of linkage, well tucked away from harm that will give me a standard shift pattern.

I got the original mill with the bike too...One of the reasons for the friendly price with all the farkles.
Andy
Enumclaw, WA
1996 Blue Steamer
2003 Black BMW K1200RSA (Dread Zeppelin)
Certified, (certifiable) Bike tech in my past life.

Stretch

Quote from: "andnew"So, if I machine a bellcrank to change direction with another small piece of linkage, well tucked away from harm that will give me a standard shift pattern.

Take lots of pics.

Mudhen

Quote from: "andnew"The bike will be used in nice weather for commuting. If you think the TKC's will fit that bill, and they are cheaper than the D607's, I'm all in!

The front is new and the rear is toast. so I already ordered a matching rear.

I live about 5 miles from mountain access and can hit FS roads in less than that. So the bike really will be offroad a lot. I have a backup bike and cage if things go really bad.  :D

This Tiger is hiding a Daytona motor and as such has a reverse shift drum to account for the upper reversed shifter on the Daytona.

I LOVE the extra HP so I need to make it more intuitive to shift. The reverse pattern is annoying.

So, if I machine a bellcrank to change direction with another small piece of linkage, well tucked away from harm that will give me a standard shift pattern.

I got the original mill with the bike too...One of the reasons for the friendly price with all the farkles.

What is up with all the Daytona-fide Tigers lately?  Or is it the same bike just getting passed around?

I love my TKCs.  Installed my current set on 4/1/05, 23k miles.  The bike now has 41k miles on it.  Same set of tires.  However...I do have another set of off road wheels (21" front, 18" rear) that I have put about 6k miles on.  So I've got about 12k miles on the Contis.  They're just about done now, though...getting a lot of vibration out of them.

If you've never tried them before, you should...before spending money on another set of rims for them.  A lot of people are pleasantly surprised by how well they work on the street.

Still get the rims, of course...but use Karoo's or something gnarlier that won't last at all but will give much better traction than TKCs off road  :wink:
\'96 Steamer

TigerTrax

Hey... Mudhen...
That Corbin seat that is too wide....
Shave off the sides.

Corbin 'pours' their base foam in liquid form...
then it sets up and hardens... like a resin.
Then they overlay with a thin layer of foam.

You should be able to remove the vinyl or leather and
sand or shave off what you want.

Since you are making it smaller... the cover should fit everywhere else
and all you have to do is tug it tight and rivet or staple it back into place.

BUTT! If it were me.... I'd grind off some more seat... get your butt down in the saddle so you son't slide; Grind off enough to lay in a gel pad with
MEMORY FOAM over the top..... Your Butt will love you!
( Your 'pillion rider' will be forever grateful in animalistc ways! )
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

andnew

So we had the tech day last Saturday, and only a couple of folks showed up. I wound up changing the "DoHickey" on one guys KLR650, he was too cheap to buy the "tool" which was nothing more than a 22mm bolt.

After a trip to town to check out getting one at the Kaw store, we came back and one guy, (Keith) manned the computer, Dan started scouring my pack-rat garage and found an old Saab Turbo driveshaft that looked like it had the right stuff.

I grabbed my car's spare part and lo-and-behold the threads were a match!

So, picture if you will:
Welders were produced to make an inner flywheel holder, the Saab doner was threaded in and a pipe wrench was used to turn the driveshaft and break the flywheel off of the crank. Success!

That's me on the right...
Dan is the cheap ba$tard on the left.  :lol:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 931&page=4 The pics are at the bottom.

Obligatory Tiger Talk:
Put new Pro Taper bars on (the S.E. model ATV high bars match the stock steamers and allow full bar swing without hitting body bits. But you do lose a pound and your bar end weights. :-) )
Replaced rear tire
bought new Garmin Zumo 550 and complete Nolan bluetooth setup
Started talking to  Moto-Pro suspension to get the forks sorted to match the Penske shock.
Woot!
Andy
Enumclaw, WA
1996 Blue Steamer

nightrunner

That is one beautiful cat.  The blue was pretty rare so that was a lucky find.     They have a couple of quirks.  Search on DAR and the sprag clutch.  Lots of info here and Advrider.

Cheers
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

andnew

So here's the latest on the Tiger.

I got together with the guy who had the spare motor, (original) and the broken parts leading to the Daytona motor.

I have the original motor and the pieces of the original cam chain guide, (in pieces).

I also got a set of K&N pod filters, the Dynojet kit and the D&D pipes!

I'll be stripping the motor down shortly and get that fixed and put away, ready to bolt in.

Anyone tried the D&D pipes with K&N filters? What kind of jetting was needed?
Andy
Enumclaw, WA
1996 Blue Steamer