News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Rear Shock question

Started by zombie, September 05, 2007, 09:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zombie

I'm removing my Hagon shock to get it rebuilt and here is my dilemma,
I have got the top bolt out and the bottom bolt out but cannot for the life of me get the bushing/sleeve thingy on the bottom to budge.
I have removed the swimgarm and am trying to drift the sleeve out but it's not moving at all
Any creative ideas welcome
My next move is to heat up the bottom of the shock and see if I can drift out the sleeve then
cheers mick..
Strecth maybe you have an idea perhaps :?:

WIDGIN

If soaking with penetrating oil fails:

Let's see, heat expands metal and cold contracts it.  Try packing the sleeve with dry ice.  Make a churn of ice cream while waiting for it to get cold and shrink.  Then whack away with a drift :wink:

Or you could buy a cheap press from Harborfreight.com.   :?
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

zombie

Quote from: "WIDGIN"If soaking with penetrating oil fails:

Let's see, heat expands metal and cold contracts it.  Try packing the sleeve with dry ice.  Make a churn of ice cream while waiting for it to get cold and shrink.  Then whack away with a drift :wink:

Or you could buy a cheap press from Harborfreight.com.   :?

brilliant young man , I'm going to heat it and beat the living crap out of the thing as I go by the rule when in doubt hit even harder with a bigger hammer :lol:

zombie

didn't heat it but bought a proper brass drift and with some persausion out it came.

WIDGIN

Glad to hear it.  Amazing that specialty tools sometimes (but not always) are quite good at specialty jobs.  :wink:
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.