News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

This cat does not like the sand box!

Started by CBAT, September 09, 2007, 10:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CBAT

I've had my '96 for about a month now. I really think I stole it for what I paid but that's another discussion. My brother in law came over to plan a trip to Big Bend in October and we decided to head out to stretch our legs. We headed east to a photo spot I'd been wanting to hit with the steamer. This old bridge is east of Coupland, TX on CR 345. It's a fully adjustable truss with moveable joints at each upright post.

From there I head to a short dirt road ride that I knew of through some wooded back country. First time to have the big cat off the hard surface. I was taking it nice and slow at first to get the feel. I had been down this road many times on my '83 Honda XL600R so I know what was ahead. Took most of the corners in first gear paying attention to handling characteristics. Last week I put Metzler Tourances on front and back. They felt pretty good like the Avon Gripsters I had on the XL. Then it happened....... Sand with ruts several inches deep. Take a look at this photo and see if you can guess.

OK. I was up on the pegs in second gear moving about 25 mph. A little throttle to try and straighten it out. Oops, too much. This always worked on the XL. Try again. Yikes!

One more try..... crap!

I wish I had video of the fall. My tailguner, we will call him the Rhodesian judge, gave me a 9.5 on the dismount. Flipped over the handlebars landing on shoulders and legs following with a thud. AGATT so no real damage to me. My left leg is sore, like a deep bruise maybe. The bike; scratches on the tank and fairing and a broken turn signal. The forks were a little out of alignment but a stop at a mailbox post and a good twist fixed that. You can see the damage at the end of this video as I walked the trail.

Can anyone fix this video imbed? I need some tech help here.  Thanks

EDIT: fixed with help from Fano.  Thanks

If I had only been patient and waited a couple of weeks until my engine guards arrived and were installed. Oh, well. It just adds character, right?
The turn signals needed replacing anyway. When I got home I was comparing to the left signal. The rubber was so hardened that it cracked and broke off in my hand. Absolutly zero flex left in the rubber. Anyone got any suggestions on replacements? Mudhen? Stretch? Anyone?  

Any tips for riding this beast in the sand? There will be plenty of that in Big Bend on our upcoming trip.
Bruce

Idhosam

CBAT, I too am having problems with the embedding, so what I did is just insert a link to the video post.

Back in March I had the opportunity to buy a fire engine red 95 steamer with 11,200 miles for $3500 I am still kicking myself in the ass for not getting it.  I have my 06 and if I brought that one home I was pondering how many nights on the couch it would cost...still wish I got it I love the old steamer styles, enjoy yours.

BTW glad to hear your OK and it was sandy, the first thing I bought for my Girly was engine guards cause it's not if it's when.

fano

fano

If you like , have a look  at my first time in the sand:

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,3073

CBAT

Thanks Fano,
What's the secret on the imbed?

Nice sand pics you had there.  :D
Bruce

fano

Quote from: "CBAT"Thanks Fano,
What's the secret on the imbed?
The secret is here: :lol:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,14

CBAT

I fixed the original report. thanks. I also just now noticed the tag inserter in the reply box. Duh!  :oops:
Bruce