News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Voltage Fix - 955 Tigers .......better known as the SASQUATCH MOD

Started by Sasquatch, November 10, 2007, 10:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joep

The picture links in the OP are broken. Any chance to get them back up? I see it is from 2007 maybe not possible. There are some pics later in the post that are helpful.

Mustang

they were hosted on the op's photo acct and he aint around no mo'................... :^_^

Putts255

I may have saved the original post as a Word or PDF document a couple years ago.  I will check my home computer when I get home and try and upload it. 

Cheers! 

Here is the pdf, actually had it on my work computer.... :icon_eek:

If the pdf does not show as an attachement send me a personal message with your email and I will forward it to you. 

Paul
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

benebob

Well I decided against doing the mod for now.  Instead i replaced the rectifier with the newest Shindengen Series regulator rather than a shut style.  A sparky I am not but with all the reading I did and the helpfulness of the www.roadstercycle.com site (and owner) I used the Triumph Harness out of a later Rocket 3 Part number #T2500676 which connects to the orignal wiring and then also to the new shindengen electrical connectors.  The bolt holes do not line up  so you would need to make a bracket to mount it to the original location.  I did buy my regulator from the roadstercycle as I was impressed with his site and the help it provided.  The part number is SH775.  If you'd rather use a dealer you can get it from polaris dealers as it is oem in one of their machines.  After replacing I've noticed that my battery doesn't flicker on throttle blips like it used to.  I wasn't having any other charging issues but was concerned with an upcoming ride on the Lab highway alone in the middle of nowhere.  If someone wants pics let me know as I snapped a few but it is really a simple straight foward swap that should end much of the heat related issues with the stator/regulator and wiring.  Not sure what that means for the squach mod but figured I'd stick with the factory set up until I notice some voltage drop to the battery or other issues.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Sasquatch

I am still here but lost all my photos that I had on Smugmug.  Yup, forgot to pay and in a very short time they were deleted.  My fault none the less.  Nice to see my mod is still being used.
Sasquatch
adventurepowersports.us

motoOzarks

Have had:  Girelli Bronco 50, Honda xr70, Yamaha YZ80, Yamaha MX175, Suzuki TS250, Honda XR350, Honda XR500, Honda XL600r, Suzuki DR200, Suzuki GS1100e, Honda Ruckas 49, BMW F650GS
Have:  Yamaha TW200, Suzuki DRZ400s, Triumph Tiger 955i

iansoady

Quote from: Sasquatch on October 09, 2015, 02:01:48 AM
I am still here but lost all my photos that I had on Smugmug.  Yup, forgot to pay and in a very short time they were deleted.  My fault none the less.  Nice to see my mod is still being used.

Good to see you back.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

benebob

So I got my spare harness all wired up today and put a 30amp maxi in it.  With the heated grips on, high beams on, driving lights on the voltage at idle is a nice 14.2.  When I turn on the turns or the brake light it dips to 13.5ish.  I used a 6awg maxi fuseholder I got via Amazon.  It is very heavy duty and quite large but fits fine in my 06 beside the tank.  Now my question is should I be using a 30amp or 40amp fuse in there.  I bought an assortment set cheaper from amazon then one fuse was at pep boys.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

MikeBenzon

I just completed the mod today. My stator and RR went belly up last summer, while I was replacing them, I built the mod. I'm getting 14.12 at idle. When the roads dry out and thaw, I will give the biker a test ride.
Mike Benzon
Burney CA
00 Suzuki DRZ 400S
05 Triumph Tiger Lucifer Orange
08 Harley Ultra Classic Anniversary Copper

http://fast87.smugmug.com/

haggis95

I did this mod last year but left a coil of wire about 3 feet long. I was thinking of relocating the rectifier to the front of the bike. I never got more than 13.9v. Today I cut the wire right down and am now getting 14.2 at idle.
There's a Tiger in my garage

Gravity Tester

I know this is a dead thread and Most folks have moved on and honestly I read to page 9 and gave up. But hopefully there's someone still watching this   

I see and understand the current draw potential of 40 amps and 8 ga. Wire. But coming out of the RR are 2 12 ga. wires. So is the one 8 ga just for looks? To keep the battery clean? Less inpedince? Is there anything with using 2 12ga. Wires out of each connector and 2 20 amp fuses? Then use one ring at the battery? I'm having trouble getting my head around the splice at the connector. I've even thought about stripping the 8 ga. Wire showing enough copper to divide the wire in 2 Run the split to each spade connector then liquid tape and heat shrink any bare copper. If anyone is still monitoring please advise.

Thanks.

Chris Canning

Electrics has never been my strong point but I do have the above mod and did just as you would painting by numbers,4 wires out of the R/R two black two red.

Splice two blacks and have one with one wire to the neg,splice to reds together with the maxi fuse to the pos and that's it.

atokad

YES! 9 years! A recent dead battery has got me diagnosing my electrical system to make sure the RR and stator are still good.  Thought I would post that the Mod is still good 9 years later and the RR has checked out fine.  Need to check the stator next.  I was a little concerned about the RR at first because some of the contacts were dirty and I felt maybe a little loose after 9 years so I cleaned and DE greased them and added a large piece of shrink wrap over all the connections and added a couple if zip ties to keep it all tight and clean.

Gravity Tester

I did the Mod 14.8 at the Battery.  :*  Without a schismatic I dont know why we swapp both wires.  unless there is another point where  both Reds reconnect somewhere else. There is only one red at the battery.  so where does the other red wire go?

atokad

If you go to post #167 there is a pdf you can download with pictures that show the 2 reds (and 2 blacks) coming off the RR connector are spliced into the one red and black wire that go to the battery.