News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Voltage Fix - 955 Tigers .......better known as the SASQUATCH MOD

Started by Sasquatch, November 10, 2007, 10:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eurobykz

I'm starting to tackle wiring upgrades on my 2004 Girly.    Just to make sure I'm not totally confused (since the original sasquatch photos are gone and there don't seem to be any others that help me, or if there are, I didn't find them...   I've spent several hours perusing the information here - but before I start, it would really help with my confidence if someone could assure me that I'm on the right track...

so...  some wires (presumably 3 black) leave the stator hidden within a black approx. 25mm corrugated plastic hose conduit and go up behind the LHS top engine mount.   3 black wires go into a connector ("A") and 3 yellow wires leave "A" and go into the RR.   From the RR, 2 black and 2 red go forward into another connector ("B") which is zip-tied to the back of the fuel rail.  then 2 black and 2 brown seem to leave that connector heading toward the RHS of the bike for parts unknown (presumably the main wiring harness?)

So help me out here - and my apologies if I'm being unreasonably stupid -    to do just the sasquatch fix,  I should leave connector "A" alone and cut the 2 black and 2 red wires between the RR and connector "B" and then splice the 2 black wires together and the 2 red together (that are currently between the RR and connector "B") - and then connect the red through a really big maxi fuse with an even bigger mega fuse holder into a ring terminal that will go on the positive battery post - and similarly with the two black to the negative battery post.   Or cut the 3 black wires upstream of "A" (if length allows) and send them directly into the RR where the yellow wires are currently connected...

And then, to do the sasquatch fix PLUS replace the RR, it's just an extension of the above...

Am I on the right track?   I always hated wiring.    I tool ElecE 101 "Electrical Circuits" in 1st year of Engrg school in 1980 and I was completely baffled the whole time.  So I went into Geol. Eng!!!

Thanks in advance

Ian
Ian Fleming
Saskatoon canada

2007 MotoGuzzi Breva V11 (Italian Mistress)
2004 Tigger 955i 
2014 KTM Duke690 (impulse purchase)

Bixxer Bob

Why are you moved to attempt this in the first place?  I tried the mod when my voltage at the battery was barely hitting 13v.  It increased it to nearly 15v, but eventually the main culprit - the reg rec - gave up.  I replaced it with a MOSFET type that incudes a purple battery monitor wire and at the same time removed the mod and have been getting a steady 14.5 -14.8v ever since as well as a noticeable improvement in how the bike runs.

But in answer to your question, yes - do the black and red as you describe.  As for the three stator wires you can simply clean the contacts in the connector, grease with dialectric grease and reassemble, or as I have done on both my Tiger and my Blackbird, get rid of the connectors and solder then insulate the wires instead.  I use good quality heat shrink for insulation.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

eurobykz

Thanks BB for the reply - so you suggest I just leave well enough alone and replace the RR with a MOSFET type.  I think I saw somewhere in here a recommendation regarding where to source such a thing...
Ian Fleming
Saskatoon canada

2004 Tigger 955i 

Bixxer Bob

I think that other wise you are only postponing the inevitable.  We use Electrexworld in the UK, not sure about Canada though.  If ther4e's any doubt about the contacts in the three wire stator connector  replace it by soldering the wires, assuming of course that you are competent with a soldering iron (I only say that because some folks aren't)
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

eurobykz

thanks - I will contact electrexworld and see how they feel about shipping to Canada - unless anyone knows of a supplier hereabouts...???
Ian Fleming
Saskatoon canada

2004 Tigger 955i 

Bixxer Bob

If you go for the Elecrex world one make sure you get the one with the extra purple wire.  Its a battery voltage sensing wire and makes your reg rec work like a battery tender like Optimate.  Same price as the standard so worth doing.

benebob

Is a 10awg wire fuse holder good enough or should I get a 8awg.  Only reason I ask is that with the 8awg I will neeed a new crimp tool for the ring terminals.  Also, a 30 amp fuse right?  I would've thought it would take a bigger one.

99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Sin_Tiger

Just nip it with decent pliers and solder it, I'd recommend soldering any connections you can. Try measuring the resistance before and after soldering, you'll be surprised and that's before it gets hot  :sign13
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

30amps is the same rating as the main fuse on the side of the battery box.

benebob

I have no idea where to get a solder ring terminal for such small wire so that isn't an option.  I was planning on soldering the  wires together but again 8awg or 10awg?  I would think 8 would stay cooler but is it too big for the amount of amps?
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

Sin_Tiger

The only downside of heavier gauge cable in this case is physical manipulation.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

iansoady

Quote from: benebob on February 14, 2015, 02:27:28 AM
I have no idea where to get a solder ring terminal for such small wire so that isn't an option.  I was planning on soldering the  wires together but again 8awg or 10awg?  I would think 8 would stay cooler but is it too big for the amount of amps?

It can never be too big in terms of current carrying capacity but can be a problem to physically fit in some cases.

I'm not familiar with awg sizes.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

benebob

So after more reading here and other forums I decided to replace my rectifier.  Ordered the speed triple harness leads from Triumph that adv rider site said would be a direct plug and play so for $10 it was worth a try.  Now, for those who went with a mosfet, where did you get it and how much.  Seems to be quite the range of pricing and of course Chinese ones are $40 shipped up to $160, problem is most of the sellers don't tell ya who makes what they sell.  I just want to avoid a break down where parts are hard to source in NE Canada.
13 Tiger 800

Bixxer Bob

Chap in the UK just bought a Shinginden MOSFET, too early to tell how it will work out but as Electrex World aren't doing them for the time being we need to look wider. 

I got caught out the other day, rode to town, voltmeter said 14.3-14.6 so happy enough.  Tried to restart bike after stopping in a carpark and .... nothing.   Left it half an hour and it grumbled into life, just.

Motobatt yellow battery died with no notice whatsoever, as Chris Canning has said they do many times.  It was probably five years old. New battery and all's well again.  And, interestingly, bike is running better. 

I'm always saying, most probs with this bike are down to low volts / amps....

trophydave

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on March 13, 2015, 09:58:10 PM
Motobatt yellow battery died with no notice whatsoever, as Chris Canning has said they do many times.  It was probably five years old. New battery and all's well again.  And, interestingly, bike is running better. 

My Motobatt died about a month ago,it was 2 1/2 years old.I have replaced it with a Varta one.