News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger Vs Vstom 1000

Started by Briker, February 08, 2004, 05:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briker

Has anybody owned or ridden both bikes? I'm planning on getting a new bike soon. I had it narrowed to the Vstrom and BMW GS and decided to go with the Strom, but am now considering the Tiger. Weather permitting, I'm going to test ride a Tiger next saturday. The Suzuki dealers won't allow test rides at any of the local dealers. Most of my current riding is in the north Ga mountains, and I'm hoping one of these bikes will enable me to take in some of the national forest roads. I'm just looking for a comparrison between the two.

Brock

I haven't ridden a 'Strom, but a UK mag called TWO (Two Wheels Only) recently did a test of big trailies including the GS, the Caponord, the Varadero and the 'Strom. The Suzuki came off worst by far, with the GS and 'Nord tieing for top honours (unfortunately they didn't include a Tigger else it would have wasted them all).

It you like the way the Suzuki rides and can live with a bike that is even uglier than a GS on ugly pills then go for it, but PLEASE give the 'Nord a go. I tried one and t would be my choice if I didn't love the Tigger so much.

Man, the 'Strom's ugly...maybe the designer was pissed or something.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Wrangler

Cycle Canada magazine did a comprehensive comparison in a feature article March 2003 on the exact 3 bikes you listed.  All three bikes had some plus's and minus's.  But the bottom-line is Suzuki was 3rd, Tiger 2nd (if you're serious about off-roading) or Tiger first if you're strictly highways dirt roads.

I recommend Cycle Canada they generally give unbiased reviews and you don't get the impression that there writing something because the manufacture has their hand in their back pocket.  Here is the link

www.cyclecanadamagazine.net

Go to the archive section and look for March 2003.  They charge you $5 bucks but that's Canadian so it's like a buck 80 american :D
I\'ve been from Tucson to Tucumcari

Tehachapi to Tonopah

sycamoredave

I currently own a '96 Tiger (with a bad sprag clutch) have ridden both a 2003 Tiger and a 2003 V-Strom.  I would have bought the V if it was not so butt ugly, and if the Tiger triple was not so great sounding!  I was satisfied with its handling, comfort, features, and power.   The bike was about $1500 cheaper than the Tiger.  The biggest reason for the V was the dealer - I have a great local Suzi dealer.   The Tiger seems to have better handling, more power, is built more rugged, and looks better.  The V has a cheap feel to it, but is addictive in terms of fun factor.  It has a lighter feel to it, and is easier to throw around.  In the final effect, I was unwilling to part with that great triple sound, and the classy but rugged personality of my old Tiger.    I would suggest that you will end up with a great bike either way.

Ride safe... 8)
Dave Ewart

Mount Vernon, OH

\'96 Tiger

\'94 Honda PC800

\'81 Suzi GS750EX

I have no idea what the V-Strom is like to ride. But if you go with the Tiger you'll find it is well capable on gravel tracks and dry "green" roads. From the magazine tests I've read the Tiger has it's max torque much lower than all of it's competitors (incl. the GS) so it's easy to drift the rear wheel at any speed without having to be in the right gear. Nice creamy drive from anywhere in the rev range.

Just do it and join the rest of us in the cage.

Briker

I have a ton of questions about the Tiger and here are a few.

What kind of gas mileage does it get and can you run regular unleaded in it with no problems?

Has anyone had any problems with the oil filter being damaged by rocks? It looks well hidden, but I would feel better it it was protected by a skid plate.

What are the maintenance cost at the recommended intervals? I will be changing the oil myself, but have never done a valve adjustment before.

willchao

Briker,

Since your in Woodstock, might I suggest you visiting Motobritalia and speak with the crew there?  You should get most of your questions answered as well as being able to check out all the cool bikes.

I think the tiger will get mid 30's - mid 40's MPG, depending on how you use it.
Cheers,

Will

2003 Silver Tiger

Quote from: "willchao"Briker,

I think the tiger will get mid 30's - mid 40's MPG, depending on how you use it.

The very best I've had is 69mpg (UK gallons) whilst running in (between 500 & 1000 miles) on a very slow run.

The worst I've had is 45mpg, cruising at 90mph all day.

Brock

Strewth...I don't think I've managed 69 MPG with mine. I reckon on about 45-50 MPG with a mixture of commuting (good fast roads with a bit of town centre), longish runs for fun, and training rides of about 80 miles including all sorts of roads and speeds.

The oil filter is where it is for convenience I suppose, but no doubt if you're "creative" it would be easy to fabricate some sort of protective plate out of thin alloy or cornflakes packets.

The valves are done on main (12,000 mile) services I think, so in Blighty you'd be looking at £250-£300 for the whole service.

I've just met someone who reckons their Tigger was "transformed" by the first main service.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Quote from: "Brock"Strewth...I don't think I've managed 69 MPG with mine.

The valves are done on main (12,000 mile) services I think,.

The 69mpg was a VERY slow run in the Ardennes.

I've yet to meet anyone who's had to have any shimming done at the 12K service. They don't seem to need it then. I'll be needing the 24K this summer, so will be interesting to see if they need it at all. I'm thinking Yam FZR1000 1st valve check at 28K. Could be our valve train is similarly under stressed. Hope so.

Sasquatch

Quote from: "Blacktiger I'm thinking Yam FZR1000 1st valve check at 28K. Could be our valve train is similarly under stressed. Hope so.[/quoteI have owned a FZR 1000, a FZR 750, and two FZ750s, all with the same valve train.  They list in the manual 25k miles for the first valve adjustment.  Few bikes I have ever heard of make it past 15k before needing it badly.  So it is obvious that they are a little optimistic in thier claims of 25k.

Sasquatch (with a drawer full of FZR shims if anyone needs them...)

Well, with 21000 mile up so far, mine still runs fine.

I had a XJ650 a while back. At around 13000 miles it run like a pig. Difficult to start etc. etc.. Until I did the valve clearances. Like a new bike afterwards.

So as the Tiger is still easy to start and runs smoothly etc. I'm confident that the valves are within, or near to, the specified clearances.  

As I said ; "we'll see at the 24K service".

skoron

One of the guys I ride with has a Vstrom 1000.  With me on a Steamer, I do have a hard time keeping up.  That suzi engine is very nice, lots of torque.  He really doesn't have to do as much shifting and goes when the throttle is rolled on.  One thing I notice is he can go in the corner deeper and just roll off the throttle to scrub speed.  Sometimes I get caught going in too deep because no brake lights!

I think the Vstrom 650 would be a nice compliment to my Tiger due to great price and decent performance.  The SV650 was a nice ride.

Skoron
The ride\'s the thing, travel too fast and you miss the reason.

Howie

Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a ton of questions about the Tiger and here are a few.

What kind of gas mileage does it get and can you run regular unleaded in it with no problems?

Has anyone had any problems with the oil filter being damaged by rocks? It looks well hidden, but I would feel better it it was protected by a skid plate.

What are the maintenance cost at the recommended intervals? I will be changing the oil myself, but have never done a valve adjustment before.

I haven't owned or ridden a VStrom but I have ridden quite a bit in the No Ga mountains on my three previous GS's and my 2000 Tiger.  I'd worry about all the plastic on a VStrom.  I average around 42 mpg, but it drops off rapidly when you're coming home on 575 at high speed.  Never had a problem with rocks hitting the oil filter.  Triumph recommends sythetic oil and a 6k service interval.  At Motobritalia, I think it's 5 or 6 hours.  I had them replace the chain, both sprockets and install heated grips on my first 6k service and the total was just over $800, so figure something close to half that for the basic service.

wolmis

Quote from: "Briker"Has anybody owned or ridden both bikes? I'm just looking for a comparrison between the two.

I test-rode these bikes yesterday, april 25th. So Here are my opinioins:

Both are very nice bikes, but in a very different way. Tiger  has a very smooth-running engine - even from low revs, which contributes to enjoyable everyday use. There is nothing wrong with Tiger's torque or power. With pillion it feels sufficient for my needs (touring and twisty road fun). V-Strom being a big twin, on the other hand, requires at least 2500-3000 rpm to run adequately. Rev needle showing anything over that, thrust feels massive - regardless the gear in use. Coupled with strong engine-brake, I can imagine that V-Strom's engine is not the easiest one to handle when riding slow or in town, neither in everyday traffic situations. Tiger's engines smoothness is in a class of its own.

Tiger has a longer and softer suspension, which makes it feel a bit "enduro". V-Strom feels more like a regular bike, although it takes bumps much better than a bike with a short-travel suspension when riding with pillion. Me being vertically challenged, Tiger's higher weight placement (or something) felt a little more difficult to handle on slow speeds. On a twisty road V-strom was easier to bend into curves, which along with the torquey v-twin placed the bike higher on a fun factor scale. On straights Both bikes  feel nice, although better wind protection is to desire on both bikes. V-strom has an adjustable shield, though...

Both bikes have a nice seating position for relaxed day on a saddle for the rider. My companion prefers Tiger due to less wind noise and turbulence, and better grab-handle placement. She also liked Tiger engine and the smooth ride it gives (pillion can't always know what to expect, so smoothness when riding with pillion is something to value high).

Price-wise these bikes are about the same level. I have a difficult choise to make. If it was only me an my fun, I'd probably choose V-Strom. Tiger, on the other hand, feels a more sensible choise with nicer everyday usability, longer service intervall, lower insurance premium here in Sweden, and last but not least: V-Stroms outlook! It's probably one of the most ugliest bikes ever made, but then again, that's ok for a bike with so much testosterone;O)

take care,

Wolmis
The biggest obstacle in the way good things happening to you is yourself.