News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New 04

Started by Briker, February 15, 2004, 02:44:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Briker

I put a deposit on an 04 orange today. I think I'll be picking it up on 2/28. I bought it at Chattanooga Triumph for $9199 + a 6% Georgia sales tax. It cost about a grand more than the cheapest price I was quoted on the Vstrom, but less than that if you add the side bags and auxillary plug. I almost got the Strom, but I guess I just wanted to try something different.

Has anyone did the switch at the axle to lower the bike 2 inches. They are going to do that for me and raise the forks, before I pick up the bike. I have a 30" inseam and I think I will be more comfortable on the bike like this, at least untill I get used to it. I thought this might also let me use the adjustable seat more to vary the riding position. As is, I would always be on the lowest setting.

I will be lurking here frequently and I'm sure I will have many questions.

VtMike

Congratulations, you won't regret your decision.

I went from the F650 to the Tiger last year. I also have a K1200RS for touring.  The other half and I enjoy riding the back roads as much as the touring. I was able to adapt the Pirates Lair backrest from the K onto the Tiger. I also have a Ram Mount and Street Pilot. Other than that and a center stand, it's stock.

I also have a short inseam and lowered the bike. Sure there is less clearance, but I don't get off-road where I'd need it. The biggest problem is getting it onto the center stand. Even when it's not loaded down it's tough getting it up there. I'll probably cut it and the side stand down now that I know I'll be leaving it that way.

The only thing I wish for that I can't change is a an 850 watt alternator.

Mike

Quote from: "Briker"Has anyone did the switch at the axle to lower the bike 2 inches. They are going to do that for me and raise the forks, .

A friend of mine has.

You or they will have to chop the length of the sidestand down. It will still go onto a centre stand OK. Apart from that............

If you ride quite hard you'll also find that you run out of ground clearance earlier, when cornering, than your Tiger owning friends.

That's it. Enjoy. :)  :)

Briker

Vtmike,

How much extra power do you have to play with. I'm planning on the heated grips and maybe some kind of auxillary lights. I may also add a vest or jacket next year. Is anyone using a volt meter to moniter their system?

I didn't see the next thread on volt meters. I'll follow that thread.

VtMike

Quote from: "Briker"Vtmike,

How much extra power do you have to play with. I'm planning on the heated grips and maybe some kind of auxillary lights. I may also add a vest or jacket next year. Is anyone using a volt meter to moniter their system?

I didn't see the next thread on volt meters. I'll follow that thread.

Not sure, but I killed the battery once when I was using the Gerbing jacket and pant liner, plus socks, gloves and GPS. Luckily I had stopped at the dealers when it happened.

I want to add lighting and heated grips.

I like the volt light idea. If it changes to amber I can start shutting things down.

Brock

Hey Briker...well done...I'm sure you won't regret your decision. Just for your info, I do a fair bit of commuting in the dark during the winter, as I work shifts. I run the Triumph heated grips almost continually, plus a pair of Ring driving lamps (as the standard headlamps are crap...you'll find that out!). There's also an Alarm, although that draws a negligible amount of power. I have no problem with the battery, although I do use an Optimiser about once a week via the aux socket just to keep it in tip-top condition.

All you need now is a pukka Ceebaileys Screen to make the old bird even more spanky!

Orange eh? They aint as fast as black 'uns!
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Briker

I'm sure I'll be getting the new and higher screen, but I'll give the stocker a try before I order the new one. I'm 5'9" tall, so I probably don't need that much extra height added to the stocker. I like the windshield at a height where I can look over the top of it.

I thought most people liked the output of the stock headlights. From your comments I guess they don't do the job for you. I will be adding some kind of extra lighting, not sure what yet.  I will be adding the Thunderbike crashbars, and they also have mounts for lights.

BykBoy

Quote from: "Briker"Has anyone did the switch at the axle to lower the bike 2 inches.

I am 5'8'' (with boots and helmet) and I rotated the rear concentric and lowered the forks. The big cat is still tall and heavy, but much more comfortable then stock. I can touch both tips of my boots at the same time on flat roads. I rotate back to stock if I go for a day or two of two up riding. Center stands rule!

I had to shorten the kickstand about 1" to prevent tip-overs. I figured this out the hard way after I got caught between the bike and the gas pump... I don't have any problems with the center stand. You will have find some washers to raze the back part of the chain guard. I cut a piece of old hose and used it as a washer. Works just fine for me. I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow。
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

BykBoy

Here's a pic of the washers I used to lift the chain guard.
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE