News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigger Tyre Guide

Started by Stretch, February 20, 2008, 01:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVdyhrd

Quote from: "matteblack"I have used Mefo Sport Explorer (MFE 99) tires on a KLR before, and really liked them. Decent on the road and not too noisy, but solid on gravel/dirt. Probably more of a 50-50 than an 80-20. Not sure if they would fit on the Tiger, but they do come in 17 and 19". Here is the site:

http://www.mefotyres.com

i would kill to get ahold of some that'll fit my tiger :) or k60's but both are terribly difficult to get.

Why is it we are in love with bikes that have the most expensive/limited tire selection?  :cry:
When all else fails, be lucky.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

tigergotcha

I used anakee (both I & II)  and pirelli scorpion sync before on my 2006 Girly; now i'm on my first 1k km with pirelli scorpion trail . too early to talk about mileage, but for me they are really the very best so far for road use in both dry and wet conditions

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorcycle/sheet/scorpion_trail.html

D-Fuzz

I've been thinking about a set of those Kenda K784 Big Blocks for my Tiger.  I ride about 70/30 pavement.  What are the knobbies going to be like for the 70% on pavement?  I know they will wear more quickly, hence the Kendas.  I currently have Michelin T66s, the front is likely OEM, but the rear is pretty much new, only a few hundred miles on it.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Mustang

they won't be as bad as a full blown knobby like the kenda DOT Trackmasters .......but , they are going to give vibration feedback in the handlebars and will probably be noisy , THE TRACKMASTERS , my buddy can hear me coming to his house a mile before I get there .they hum loud !

The 784 does look like a good alternative to a Karoo or a TKC , you will need to learn how hard you can push them on the pavement wet or dry b4 they give up on you though .

If your 30% offroad is mostly fire roads and forest service type of roads , good ol tourances or for less money the Shinko 705's work really well. and you get good hiway mileage out of them .

D-Fuzz

That is pretty much what my 30% off-road consists of, nothing too outrageous.  I rode my DR650 pretty much everywhere with Michelin Anakees on it and never had a problem.  I know the Tiger is a much bigger bike and am a bit more concerned about the chance of the front washing out more than the traction at the rear.

I thought for the price ($190/set) I could try the Kendas.  That said, there is a better chance of me riding on the pavment in the rain than there is me riding through thick, goopy mud, so maybe the Shinkos are a better choice.  I am not an overly aggressive rider, so I doubt I would ever reach the limits of either tire.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

Mustang

Steamers don't like mud or sugar sand regardless of  what sneakers they wear ! :shock:

motero26

I used to use 100x100 asphalt contiroadattack 2 of continental perfect for your favorite section and even circuit curves are perfect and water also work well just hope I last longer than contiroadattack 1 that I endured only 6000km and then snapped

http://www.soymotero.net/contiroadattac ... ontinental
triumph forever

NeilD

Hmm the Conti RA2 looks interesting.. the most 'off road' I go is across a camping field, was so was considering road tyres this time... look to be about the same price as Tourances here, anyone else tried 'em and got an idea of how long they last?

Putts255

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"
Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"My 96 Steamer has a set of Dunlop Trailmax on them. Just noticed the sidewalls have some hairline cracks in them so I'll be changing them soon. I have no idea how old they are.

This might help !!

http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/R ... /tires.asp

KK

Link not working anymore.  Try this one.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Riding/Street/Resources/TireDesignations.aspx
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

Basri...

It has been 7 months and 2500 km since i put new Conti Tarail Attacks on my Steamer..

These are the ones:

I always have been using Metzeller Tourances or Tourance EXPs, but, this time only for 50 Dollars difference prefered Trail Attacks..

What a big, deadly mistake.. :BangHead

Since the first day i put them on;

Bike dives at low speeds, it is shimmy, at higher speeds, have to spend extra attention to keep the bike on a straight line and many other negative effects..

They both are 2010 production..

Definately it is the tyres, checked ewerything else, 100% sure..

The old 8 yrs old Dunlops on it were much better..

I am not the ony one who complains about them:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... ail+attack

Most people are happy with them, but, my advice, if anyone planning to put Trail Attcaks on his bike, please think twice..
Basri,

since 1965...

NKL

I run these on my Tiger and are fantastic tires, I know some tires don't suite some bikes but you should try playing with the pressures, its amazing what a couple of psi will do.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Bixxer Bob

I was thinking the same.  When I first switched from a squared off Anakee to Pirelli MT90s my first thoughts were, OMG what have I done?  The bike felt like it was on a knife edge all the time and oversteered everywhere.

After a few days (and putting the tyre pressures exactly as they should be) I realised that it was oversteering because I was used to wrestling the squared-off tyre into every turn and that in fact the tyres were very neutral and quick steering.   Once I got used to the light touch and sharp handling, I got to enjoy them to the point where for a whole summer I never once entered a corner wondering if the rubber was going to stick - it just did.  Turned out to be the best tyres I'd ever had on the Tiger.  Not quite so good in the wet, but still very predictable.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

When I got the Bike last year it had Tourances, cant complain really but tried the Conti TA2's when change time came. Couldnt fault the handling and grip and the rear did 6500, but the front also was gone at 6500. So, back to a pair of Tourances, the rear managed 7500 and the front finally went at 10000.

Im now running Anakee II's and the wet weather grip is brilliant but wear looks fairly brisk, the backs now done 3000 and has gone from 8mm to 4mm in the centre, so on that estimation Im looking at maybe 4500/5000 tops.

Think Tourances will be back on next time, so far the best mix of grip/longevity.
2016 Tiger Sport

Putts255

So I am going to be moving a few things around in the shed this weekend and will finally take the time to look at the manufacture date of the tires.  

Opinion, how old is too old?  If it shows a manufacturer date older than lets say 2008 should I change them?

They are Metzler's on there right now and have a lot of tread left but I need to feel confident the tires will be good for all the riding I will be doing this coming season.  2 trips already planned and another possible 1 week trip through the Britsh Colombia mountains....I hope!

Cheers and thanks!
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

Basri...

Regarding my complaints about Conti Attacks;

After your comments on the subject, i have been thinking, did i do any other changes on the bike at the time i put new Conti Attacks on ?

Yes, i did, also put 1,5 inch tall handle bar risers same day i changed the tyres..

Today i removed the risers, most complaints gone..

But,

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"The bike felt like it was on a knife edge all the time and oversteered everywhere.

Still have this feeling.. :D
Basri,

since 1965...