News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigger Tyre Guide

Started by Stretch, February 20, 2008, 01:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NKL

I had exactly te same issue as Bixxer Bob when I changed squared off Anakees to Contis but soon got used to it, I've doe about 4500 miles on them now and the rear only looks about half worn and the front looks lke new (how does it grip so well?) Could only get about 4500 miles out of a rear Anakee
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Basri..."
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"The bike felt like it was on a knife edge all the time and oversteered everywhere.

Still have this feeling.. :D

You'll get used to it eventually...... :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Stretch

Received via email just a couple days ago...

------------------------------------

Stretch,

Wife and I flew to Seattle, purchased an 05 Tiger from fellow ADV rider, good transaction. It had a new set of Shinko tires. Got to a friends home in St. Louis, 2,000 miles, had buddy sit on bike so I could check chain tension. Rear tire, every "block" was torn on two sides, a small screwdriver went in crack over quarter of inch!
Another ADV had a Bridgestone in "stock" at his home, threw that on, no worries. Ran 42 psi at modest speeds but high air temps. This may prevent someone getting hurt.

Thanks

Brian

-----------------------------

Thought you would like to know.

Stay safe.

Sasquatch

Tires are kind of a sore subject with me.  At 380# on a loaded Tigger and a very heavy throttle hand, I tend to shred tires rather quickly.  The following are my opinions:

2001 955i

Shinko 705 (radials):  Good handling in all conditions, best "street" tire off pavement I have ridden.  Front rides a bit rough due to the tread blocks (at low speeds).  Price is very cheap for these tires.  I have been through 3 rears and one front.  Front lasted 10k miles, but the most I got out of the rear is 3,800 miles.  Will not run these again.  They may be cheap and work good, but I simply can not find a bargain in a tire that only lasts 3800 miles.

Continental Trail Attack:  10k out of a front, 7500 out of the rears.  So far my favorite tires.  Work fantastic on the pavement and tolerable off pavement.  The tire I am currently running.

Tourance:  I ran these when the bike was new.  Went through a couple of sets of them.  Always had a bit of the "tourance weave" out of the front tire.  Worked well enough on and off pavement, but the weave drove me nuts.

Mustang

Tires are a lot like oil ..everybody has their own preference  :shock:
what works for one person somebody else will hate . :D

Just sayin ................
let's talk sidecar tug , I can't get a rear motorcycle tire to last more than 3000 miles no matter what brand or size , next up , going to the dark side with an 195/45 /17 CAR tire . I think it's going to work well into the 20 k range  :D

I've had dunlops maxxis contis pirellis tourances shinkos on the three steamers over the years and rears always wear out two to one for the front , no matter what brand . dunlop and maxxis were the worst .

and no matter what brand the front will eventually cup so bad that it gets binned long before it's bald . again dunlop gets the worst rating for cupping .

it's the nature of the beast  :D

D-Fuzz

I've been running Mitas E-07 tires on my Tigger and have been really happy with them.  Similar to the Heidenau tires people rave about.  I have about 4000 miles on mine and am really happy with the way they are holding up.  They are a little noisy on the pavement but still perform well and they are good off-pavement as well.
Scott

1996 Tiger 885, black

ChazzyB

Quote from: "TigerTrax"3. The new Anakee 2 radial tires are really nice. I had always run bias-belt
    tires ... there is a difference. Softer ride.  I'll have the whole story when it's time to replace them.

I've been using Anakee 2 for a couple of changes now. I get about 6K from a rear (possibly more), which isn't bad, as I don't spare the horses, as a rule.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

NZDeano

Not wanting to state the obvious here for those who have had their tigers for years and been through many sets of rubber. For those who haven't, my experience might be of interest.
Purchased 2003 Girly, beautiful little bike with only 11,000km on it. It had Metzler Tourances on (told these are the top tire). These were worn though. The guy I got it off must have ridden straight lines only, because the centre was gone, but the sides had heaps. Now, here I am on my new tiger expecting to have fun and just could not get my confidence going. I am a reasonably experienced rider (30 yrs) but the bike gave me no confidence leaning into corners and I drove everywhere like an old lady. I even placed a thread on here called "Are Tigers more likely to slide" Everone that replied to me said a big fat "NO" Comments like 'mine squats like a sumo wrestler coming out of corners' really started making me think that something was wrong with my bike or me, because even on the way to the shop about 250km away, the rear end stepped out twice on me (very un-nerving) One step out it jumped ut about 6" sideways. Then during a recent service where we upgraded the pipe, new tune etc, we put new rubber on it. Of all the tires on offer I ended up opting for a set of Shinko (cheap price). Everyone said 'too cheap, can't be any good' After fitting and scrubbing in I went for long ride over tall winding mountain roads and had some of the best fun I have ever had on a motor bike. Now this bike really does handle. With the new pipe & race tune, a full service, metal fuel fittings, new tires, crashbars (yet to go on) and some other nice farkles, I LOVE THIS BIKE. I reckon these are the most underated bike around in its class. But the real lesson is that I would not have said that with the rubber like it was at the time I purchased it. Just incase you ask, the test ride when I purchased it was on city streets, so the problem didnt show up. I think this type of bike with open back end (single shock) long swing arm, heaps of rear wheel H.P. really depend on having exceptionaly good tread out back, more so than other bikes I have owned. I now understand why Tiger riders feel like they have discovered a secret no one else much knows about. It is going so well.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

iansoady

Quote from: "NZDeano"Purchased 2003 Girly, beautiful little bike with only 11,000km on it.

I just wondered what you considered a "big bike".... :?:
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

2004Tiger

Quote from: "NZDeano"... I reckon these are the most underated bike around in its class. ...
You got that right!!
My worn out Tourances cornered very well, don't know what happened to yours. Perhaps the rubber was old, stiff, slick? For an old tire I have sometimes, on the center stand, run in 2nd gear and apply a rasp or an angle grinder to the old rubber to expose fresh rubber. Temporary fix.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

NZDeano

Quote from: "iansoady"
Quote from: "NZDeano"Purchased 2003 Girly, beautiful little bike with only 11,000km on it.

I just wondered what you considered a "big bike".... :?:

Slip of the tounge actually Ian, will watch my wording more closely. I really should have just said "beautiful bike" It's definetely not a little bike. I sat on an new 800 XC the other day, that didn't feel all that much smaller either. Wonder if the 1200 feels big.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

jphish

Tourances are pretty good rubber - never tried Shinko's. But for my $, the Anakee2's wear well, and excellent in the curvy parts.

vince

sorry to join in with my two pennies
just replaced my annakees with bridgestone 023's as i don't go off road
first impressions they roll well into corners, less road noise and a bit softer ride seem to stick well and no wobble in corners
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

NZDeano

Quote from: "vince"sorry to join in with my two pennies
just replaced my annakees with bridgestone 023's as i don't go off road
first impressions they roll well into corners, less road noise and a bit softer ride seem to stick well and no wobble in corners

Don't be sorry Vince, your two pennies are worth the same value as any others. Have made a note of bridgestone 023's.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

HamrenDan

So which Shinko tires did you go with?
HamrenDan
1999 885 Tiger
Previous 99 955i Sprint ST