News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigger Tyre Guide

Started by Stretch, February 20, 2008, 01:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Lion

I just did a search on the Shinko 705's as I'll be needing new tyres soon, but was shocked to find that they seem to be attracting a lot of negative attention.
See the following for details:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-2004-2011-%5B-wee-strom-%5D/51883-how-you-liking-your-shinko-705s-8.html
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116429
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276646
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248053
It seems that their might be a bit of a delamination problem across the Shinko range.
Black '96 Steamer : \'04 RM250 : \'10 Arctic Cat Prowler 700XTX

Mustang

all of those posts are a year or more old ........................just sayin'

shinko is supposed to have corrected the problem with the 705 radials , the early ones from those posts were bias ply

having said that I ran a bias ply on my steamers rear end for 10,000 miles and the tread blocks showed no sign of cracks until at 10k I switched it over to the side hack to finish it off , YMMV
the front went 15 k easy and still lots of life left .

Tigger 1 has shinkos 705 on it as we speak and so does tigger 4 , tigger 2 has shinko raven on front , no problems and tigger 3 (the hack) has a shinko raven on the rear that has held up the best so far , compared to tires like continental and dunlops and tourances .
you can't always believe what you read in forums  :5huh
yeah I got 4 steamers ..I'm kinda goofy like that  :love10

I like them I use them .
Shinkos are not the only ones that do it .
heres a shot of a 150 dollar front  tourance by Metzler that I lifted from advrider , what do you see ........yep cracks around the treadblock

daveb

just changed the Anakee 2 on the rear after 7,300 miles, more than pleased about 1mm left before tyre bars, so replaced with another Anakee 2.

front also replaced to anakee 2, had a metzeler tourance on the front. still loads of life left but lost confidence in this tyre as some times great grip in heavey rain or dry roads but as it starts to rain it felt vauge.

so cut my losses and changed both.

Chad

ive decided to chance my arm on a set of these  from mynemoto germany £144 deliverd :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Quote from: fnjeep314 on June 13, 2012, 07:54:39 AM
The PO installed Metzler Touraces on the rear, and some Dunlop that was too big on the front. I just replaced the front with a Heidenau K76. I only have a few hundred miles on it, I noticed a difference in how more solid the bike felt right away. When the rear wears out, I am going to replace the Metzler with the rear Heidenau K76.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499030
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

gilly527

I have Metzeler Tourance on the front and back right now... I am thinking about exploring other options this next time I'm due to change, the front is about done right now.

What are the draws of the Anakee's over the Tourance's or vice versa?
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.

cosmo

Not sure Anakee vs Tourance, but this is my experience with Michies: The first set of Anakees, supplied with the bike (natch) lasted 16,000 miles, with both wearing out at the same time. And I mean just to the wear bars, not to the cord.

The second set lasted 16,000 miles, though I recall one was a II.

The third set had to be Bridgestone Battlewings, as Anakees were on BO. These are not to the wear bars yet at 14,000 miles.

Maybe I'm not aggresive enough, maybe the Tigger is just easy on tyres, maybe I'm just getting on to old. Fact is, I just rolled 46,000 miles on this '06 Girly, and I'm just thinking about purchasing my fourth set of tyres.

Oh, yeah, impressions from the mild one: The Skidstones felt a bit more planted than the Anakees, but only a smidge.

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

gilly527

I have Tourance tires on my Girly right now and am thinking of something a little more road oriented for my next tire as that is where the majority of my riding is, while still wanting some tire ability for offroad. Which brings me to the question, is anybody running Tourance EXP tires on their Girly, and if so, do you like them?

From the sounds of things that I have been reading about them they sound like a great tire but I want to know first hand from anybody on our bike what they are like if anyone is running them.

I am also open to other suggestions for tires too...
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.

Bixxer Bob

You'll get loads of preferences Gilly, just like I'm about to.  I was in your position and went for a totally unknown at the time, , Pirelli Scorpion Trails. They are very road biased but, in the two sets I've had, I've never had a butt-clenching moment with them, wet or dry.   On tarmac they grip like the proverbial.  They are much sharper steering than the block treads but also much smoother and quieter.  I hadn't realised how much till I fitted a set of Tourances recently when I couldn't get PSTs.  Can't wait to go back to them.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

tigergotcha

Quote from: Bixxer Bob on October 17, 2012, 11:29:34 AM
You'll get loads of preferences Gilly, just like I'm about to.  I was in your position and went for a totally unknown at the time, , Pirelli Scorpion Trails. They are very road biased but, in the two sets I've had, I've never had a butt-clenching moment with them, wet or dry.   On tarmac they grip like the proverbial.  They are much sharper steering than the block treads but also much smoother and quieter.  I hadn't realised how much till I fitted a set of Tourances recently when I couldn't get PSTs.  Can't wait to go back to them.

Scorpion Trails are very good road biased tyres - I've had three sets and really enjoyed them. Sharp steering, very good overall grip, decent on gravel (not flying on it of course...). And also mileage on average (10k km for me, rear wearing faster as usual, but with less difference with front than other tyres - which should mean softer front/better front grip).

Pirelli had some problems on first batches more than two years ago, so check manufacturing date on the tyres before buying. Second half 2011 and 2012 are 100% ok.

gilly527

So you're preference is the Anakee II by the sounds of things. It seems a lot of people run those on our tigers..

oes there happen to be a comprehensive tire thread on this forum where everyone has chipped in on what they run on their Tiger and what they like dislike about them bearing in mind their riding style? I tried to ask a question about tourance vs the tourance exp the other day hoping that someone on here would see it and comment on it if they are running the exp's but my thread was deleted... Thanks to whomever did that...
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.

Mustang

Quote from: gilly527 on October 18, 2012, 04:52:10 AM
I tried to ask a question about tourance vs the tourance exp the other day hoping that someone on here would see it and comment on it if they are running the exp's but my thread was deleted... Thanks to whomever did that...
:wave

Chad

well they have arrived and are fitted

i have to say im quite taken with them , the bike feels nice and nimble at low speeds and when your getting a lick on they feel very stable and planted :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

all in all happy so far

Quote from: Chad on October 07, 2012, 11:19:55 PM
ive decided to chance my arm on a set of these  from mynemoto germany £144 deliverd :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Quote from: fnjeep314 on June 13, 2012, 07:54:39 AM
The PO installed Metzler Touraces on the rear, and some Dunlop that was too big on the front. I just replaced the front with a Heidenau K76. I only have a few hundred miles on it, I noticed a difference in how more solid the bike felt right away. When the rear wears out, I am going to replace the Metzler with the rear Heidenau K76.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499030
Despacio. Hay m\'as tiempo que vida

VM-BASIC

Hi Everbody.
Just a quick word about Avon Distanzias. I fitted new front and rear in May this year. Ran the tyres at Triumph recommended pressures, 36/42. Most of the riding was a straight commute up and down the very straight and boring Highway 1 here in sunny Alberta, with weekend hunts for twisties with Mrs VM perched on back. Was giving the old girl a once over in mid Sept, when I noticed that the front Distanzia had cracks around 75% of the sidewall on the right hand side and about 50% of the left. In a couple of spots these cracks were deep enough to expose chords in sidewall. I immeidiatley VOR`d the beast and contacted the retailer, Canadas Motorcycle in Ontario. They got me to post the offending rubber to them for a warrenty claim. While all this arguing about warranty was going on, I was bikeless, so bit the bullet and bought a Tourance front.
Doing a google search of Distanzia sidewall cracking, found articles going back to 2005 highlighting this problem, which strangely only affects the front, rear is fine, if a little squared off, (Damn straight Highways......).
Cutting to the chase, Canadas motorcycle refunded me the purchase cost of the Avon, so a big up to them for customer service. Damn Canadian weather has stopped me from putting more than a couple of 100 K on the new rubber so will see how it fairs. I am expecting reasonable performance juding by others comments though.
So be warned, Avon have not solved the Distanzia front tyre problem yet.
If you can`t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical fault

2001 in Roulette Green

Fross

I'm thinking of fitting a pair of Road tyres on my 05 Girly (cast wheels)
I've seen these on ebay

Front . . Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 110/80 R19 59V
Rear . . .Bridgestone Battlax BT-023 150/70 R17 69V

£190 + £6.95 delivery for the pair

Any reason why I shouldn't?
I don't ride off road (not deliberately :new_all_coholic)
2005 Tiger plus a few Norton's dating from 1951 to 1972. New winter bike Kawasaki W650.
British Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.

iansoady

But how will you get of those muddy campsites?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650