News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigger Tyre Guide

Started by Stretch, February 20, 2008, 01:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: benebob on June 21, 2014, 03:17:37 AM
My 99 came with Anakee's and I found them to be the worst tire I've ever ridden on.  Rear slipped and slide around on heavy acceleration.  Replaced with Bridgestone Battleaxe and loved them for 2500 miles.  Now on my 06 I'm back to Anakee's and haven't had an issue yet, go figure.

I experienced similar with Metzlers, and I'd had previous experience with them. Turned out after I'd spoken to the PO that they'd been on the bike during the whole of his ownership of 4 years, sitting in the sun and not getting a lot of riding other than short in town commutes, although they showed no signs of cracking but the finger nail test showed how uncompliant they had become. Sure enough when I checked the dates  :bug_eye they were off in a flash. Difficult thing to be objective about, more so when you get factors like that.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

rocco

Fitted a set of Michelin Anakee 3's prior to a blast down to Mugello in Italy for the moto gp.......
Awesome tyres that performed going accross the Alps superbly!!!!
68 BSA Bantam D14
71 BSA Bantam B175
79 Suzuki X7
93 Kawasaki ZXR 400
03 Triumph Tiger

nickjtc

Tourance NEXT mounted on a Steamer with 7,000+km of use, on not very twisty roads.

Can you spell square?  :icon_wink:

PS. With the wheel off the bike it stands up by itself, the tyre is so square!!
"That which does not kill us reminds us to wear motorcycle specific clothing!"

blacktiger

Forget all these dual purpose tyres like Anakee and Tourance. Waste of time when there are decent road tyres about. I'd be looking at the Avon Storm 3D-XM now that they make Tiger sizes. http://avon-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle/storm-3d-x-m
I had the original Azzaro/Storm combo and they were absolutely fan-bloody-tastic.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

nojohn

anakee 2 or Michelin pilot roads any views on these tyres need to replace my worn out anakee 2

bigdan74

i'm not sure that the anakee 2 is still available, pretty sure it's been discontinued here stateside.  i have one on the front of my klr and like it...  had a distanzia on the front of my tiger and liked it fine on the highway but it was scary on gravel.   gravel is a necessary part of my ride to get to the pavement everyday so i spooned a tkc 80 on the front. so far i like it, great on the gravel and very good on the highway... not sure what direction i will go with the rear tire...

Spud

Anakee 3's are a great tyre superb grip in the wet or dry

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

vince

Anakee 3's are a great tyre superb grip in the wet or dry

cheers Spud  :thumbsup

+1 on that   :thumbsup
had them on my 955i  :icon_lol:
and now on the 800 :icon_biggrin:
transformed the bike :wheel
what if the hokey cokey is what it's all about

HockleyBoy

+1 on the Anakee IIIs, just about to put a new pair on my 955. Not only do they have brilliant grip wet or dry they are very very hard wearing.

Longest lasting tyres I have tried by literaly thousands of miles.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Graham

I am off to Spain in a few weeks and need some new tires.
I have been using Anakee 2 for the last few years and have been very pleased with them.  I was going for the new Anakee 3 but my dealer persuaded me to try the new Avon Trailriders. They are designed for 90% road use and are supposed to be the dogs .....
Initial test reports by the bike magazines seem very good.
After my trip to Spain in October I will let you know.  I am hoping to be able to only report dry conditions :icon_razz:
Graham

MattDaleEvans

Hi All, I've a 2007 Tiger which came with the heavy duty Michelin Anakees on it from brand new which looked really cool!  At first they were OK but then they just went a bit too square and hard for my mainly road use (98% tarmac - 2% other for me) and I just couldn't handle wet corners very well in decent confidence!  When that first set wore out I then used Bridestone BT020's (which were great for the road - dual hard/soft compound) but they have been fazed out and I've now been using Bridgestone BT023's front & rear for the last 4 to 5 years (these are also a really 'good' road orientated tyre again - dual compound). I get roughly 10000 miles on the front (£85) and 5000 miles on the rear (£95) before they get dangerously worn out.  The center tread wear is the main issue now - the rears just go bald in the middle and it turns the Tiger into a bit of a Bambi on ice when its very wet!  I've sawn the tyre in two and there's a good 5-6mm thick rubber band beyond the wear bars......... Just need to keep leaning I suppose............ ;0)  I use mytyres.co.uk for supplies in the UK obviously - great service.

MattDaleEvans

cavi

seams most of the tires discussed here are geared twords road use.  I am one who uses the bike on fire roads and gravel roads.  My 99 came to me with new metzler torance tires, but I would really like something that would do a bit better off road but not die on the pavement.  I am looking into a couple tires, the scout, the anaklee wild and conti tkc.
Opinions!!!

Mustang

tires like the tkc's are only going to last a few thousand mles.....................

look at shinko 805's
unless your idea of offroad is single track (where a tiger has no buisness being way) the beast does just fine on an 80/20 tire

cavi

how do my tourances compare to the shinko 705?  They look very similar but my tourances look to have a bit more space between blocks but not has tall blocks...  I will for sure run out my current tourances, but after that who knows.....