News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigger Tyre Guide

Started by Stretch, February 20, 2008, 01:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REGULATOR

is there a post somewhere with a realistic explanation of what to expect from each of these tires on a Tiger?

I am thinking of going more dirt agressive but still want to do some miles...

or Do I need to get a two sets of tires and swap them out

Tom Herold

I replaced my worn out Pilot Roads with the Continental Trail Attacks last night at 23,300 miles on the odometer.  The Tiger also received a new chain and sprockets, the bike feels like a new machine again.

After doing a lot of research, and analyzing my riding style (90/10), this seemed like the tire for me. I'm a daily rider, commuting to and from work 10 miles each way. The Tiger's my weekend run-around machine too, so it see's some distance riding as well.  There are a few fire roads I plan to investigate now that I have a "dual-sport" capable of enduring them.

Initial impressions after the first 100 miles are mixed, but still favorable. I have to admit, the front end feels a bit heavier in turns, but not in a bad way, just different than what I'm used to.  They lean into the corner well and stay there once established, I'm confident in the tires ability to stick.  On the highway, they track straight and don't grab the tar snakes or siping in the roads, so I think they'll be a good touring tire too.  

The tires look good on the machine, meaning they don't look out of place.  The tread pattern is definately different than most conventional tires, but it's not overwhelming.

The tread pattern is deep, I measured 9mm depth on the rear just after it was mounted. I'm hoping for at least 7-8k out of it. The front's a bit thinner measuring in at 5mm, but not so much that it doesn't offer a good impression of longevity.

The ride quality is good, the road noise is minimal and they feel sure footed on both rough and smooth pavement.  They're not as scrubbed in as I'd like because it's been a bit wet here, but it'll dry out the next couple of days and I'll put them through their paces on some of my favorite roads, to include a few trails in the area.  I'll also post how they do when the bike's fully loaded and two-up once I get to that point.

I'll update this with more impressions as the miles roll on and give a wear report so others considering this tire can have the information to ponder.

As soon as I get home from work, I'll post a few pics.

More to come.  :new_xmas

Edit: Pics added showing rear mounted, front mounted, and tread depth measurements for both.

Edit Edit:  I put down 450 miles on the tires on Christmas day, part interstate, part two lane, wet, dry, down pours, grated bridges, hot and cool weather.  No off-roading yet, so no report for that type of riding.

Further impressions:  These tires definately feel solid on the road at any speed regardless of the road conditions. I hit 120mph on an open stretch with no traffic and a straight shot and these tires did very well. I traveled at speed through construction areas where the road surfaces changed from concrete, to asphalt, to concrete again and these tires didn't care, they stayed planted and tracked true. You can run over road imperfections and they'll stay on track without wandering or a wiggle.

In the wet weather they performed well regardless of the amount of water on the roadways; no floating feeling, nothing unsure or suprising, and confidence inspiring even in the corners.  The tread pattern evacuates water very well and the compound sticks to the surface. The only problem encountered was starting off from a red light and the rear spun on the white painted line. Admittedly, I was on the throttle pretty hard and getting ready to row through the gears to get on the interstate. It wasn't a bad spin, but I did lose a bit of traction and it wasn't planned.

The biggest drawback so far is the front's heavy feeling.  It takes more effort to get the front into a corner, but once it's there, it stay's planted and is easy to lean into. Coming out of a corner the tires want to stand up and track straight again, which can require some more effort if you're running the twisties.  

Final short term thought: The heavy front end is something I can live with and I'm guessing I'll grow accustomed to it. They're definately not a high performance street tire, but seem to be good all-arounders and touring skins.  These are good tires overall and can be purchased at a good price, I like them.  The real clincher for me will be the longevity, which I'll report on as the miles pile on.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

Tom Herold

Okay, I have 1500 miles on the tires now and remeasured the tread depth at 7.7 for the rear and 4.5 for the front. They're wearing pretty well and look to give decent longevity.

This has been 99% road and highway mileage broken down into a 10 mile daily commute to work on side streets, and another 10 home, 5 days a week.

There are two one-up weekend road trips, and one two-up 400 mile day run on superslab and secondary roads also.

As the tires have broken in, I'm finding them very complaint and sticky for my type of riding. I've leaned the bike all the way over to a foot peg scrape on turns, and ridden in all weather except ice/snow and have found them very secure on wet roads. They don't care about irregular road surfaces and feel great at high speeds (100mph+)

Overall, I like them and recommend them to anyone considering a set.

I'll keep the mileage updates coming.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

"When people believe you to be the fool, why open your mouth and remove all doubt....??"
Gen. George S. Patton

cwdrifter

How many miles now...my rear Anakee is shot at 10,000 miles....but I don't really see that much rain in So Cal so running it still with treadless stripe down middle...pushing my luck.
85 Suzuki SP 600
IBA # 21941

Tom Herold

I'm at 2600 miles on the tires now. The front's wearing like iron, the Conti Attack lettering is still there and easily read. The rear measured out at 6.9mm tread depth after all street use for my commutes and weekdn road trips.  I'm running 40psi on both ends.

Having started at 9mm rear tire tread depth and now at 6.8 after 2600 miles, the outlook is pretty decent.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

Gen. George S. Patton

oxnsox

Thanks for updating your experience with these, have just fitted a pair to my 03. Interestingly the recommendation for pressures was 34-36 front and 38-40 for the rear, depending upon load and use.

Will see how they run in the next few weeks on a trip.....
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tom Herold

The front tire took a fairly large lag bolt right through the middle of the tread. It was big enough to ruin the belt and render it incapable of being patched or fixed. So..... ordered a new front tire last night and will have to start over with that one  :cry:  

The rear was spared so I'll continue to update on the mileage/wear.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

Gen. George S. Patton

oxnsox

Just put around 2000 of your miles on my new set and generally happy with them.  
First days ride was just over 400 where I found the rear end seemed to have a shimmy, (mostly noticeable around or above 65).  Wasn't sure if this was caused by the loaded panniers, poor balancing, or something to do with the new tyres (pressure/profile). With warm rubber at fuel ups I simply checked what I could, adjusted the load, and pressed on. Couldn't check cold pressures next day again so things were warm when I fueled.   When I did check things cold, they were low (both around 32), and I can say things felt much better after that with the right air all round.
Lessons learned. 1) Don't believe the tyre shop, check the pressure after they fit new rubber.  2) Carry a tyre pressure gauge to be able to check things cold, wherever you are.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

xtphreak

I have a new-to-me 1999 Tiger ... i.e spoked wheels

so .... tubes

in reading widely varying "opinions" on this, I was perplexed.

not safe in all tubeless tires due to rough interior / only use "radial" tubes / only use heavy duty tubes / don't use heavy duty tubes / etc / etc

so I asked Continental

specifically can I run tubes in their radial tubeless tires (Attack series)?

and can I run a 110/80-19 Trail Attack front with a Road Attack rear (since I have a brandy new Road Attack 150/70-17 in the garage for the rear of the TDM850)?

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
Re: FWD: Tire Fitment

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Customer (Janet D******a) - 03/30/2009 04:33 PM   
Please forward following reply:

Dear Mr. M******n,
Your recent inquiry was forwarded to the Continental Tire North America
Two Wheel division.  
You can certainly mix and match our tires, and all of our tubeless tires can also be used as tube type with a tube.  

You might see a little better mileage on the Road Attack compared to the Trail Attack, but it depends on your type of riding.  

You can look at our website www.conti-moto.com for more detailed descriptions of the two models.  

Thank you for your interest in Continental motorcycle tires.

Regards,
Janet D*****a
Continental Tire North America Inc.
Coordinator, Operations/Administration
Two Wheel Tires
Tel: 973-471-****
Fax: 973-471-****
Email:  mailto:janet.d*****a@conti-na.com">janet.d*****a@conti-na.com

(names and numbers blocked for privacy by me)

DRB Imagery

An interesting site you might want to look at. www.gnarlyparts.ca. Have great shipping and tire prices I think.

Dave

oxnsox

Thru the Conti website there is a copy of some comparative tyre tests done in Germany on an R-1200GS thats worth a read. Compares 6 different Manufacturers dual purpose rubber in wet and dry...  

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/w ... ner_en.pdf

You may have to cut and paste the link.  and yes Conti came out well which is,no doubt, why they got it translated and posted.  Thanks xtphreak for leading me there
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TigerTrax

XTP...
The '95-98 Steamers and '99-04 Girlies ran TUBES.
However, the tires are TUBELESS.
It's just that Triumph's spoked rims ... well.... are spoked.

So just get a good tube and throw it in.... you'll be OK.

FYI...
Breaking the bead on either is rougher than a aged corn cobb on a cold
winter night inside a one-holer!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

xtphreak

Quote from: "TigerTrax"XTP...
The '95-98 Steamers and '99-04 Girlies ran TUBES.
However, the tires are TUBELESS.
It's just that Triumph's spoked rims ... well.... are spoked.

So just get a good tube and throw it in.... you'll be OK.

FYI...
Breaking the bead on either is rougher than a aged corn cobb on a cold
winter night inside a one-holer!

as we say down here

I ain't Skeered

looking back on it, I don't know what the big deal was ... I went thru this on the XT600E when I first went to Avon Gripsters ... which I'd run on the Tiger in a skinny minute if they were available in the right sizes. Fantastic grip on road, wet or dry, quiet, long wearing.

Some Gripsters were listed as Tube, some as Tubeless ... but they all worked on the XT600E with tubes

Tom Herold

I had to make a run from Charleston, SC, to Dallas, TX, last week for a funeral. I loaded up the Tiger and hauled ass 1050 miles one-way, as quick as possible. The first day I ran 800 miles before the weather got the best of me and I decided to get some rest before finishing the ride up the next day. The saddle bags, tour pack, tank bag and back seat were packed with my road kit, hot, cold and wet weather gear and of course, clothes. The tires were aired to 36psi front and 38psi rear.

The run was all super slab and the tires never let me down. I put them on at 23k and now have just at 28,200k on the bike. If you've been reading, you'll know I had to replace the front due to a large lag bolt right through the middle tread, so I had to reset my mileage on the one. However, the rear measured out at 5.8mm tread depth tonight after 5k miles on it.  I am continually impressed with the tire's ability to adapt to all road surfaces and conditions without hesitation. The mileage is looking pretty good too.

In all honesty, I'm going to replace the rear Trail Attack with a Road attack when it's due for replacement since my off-roading thoughts seem to have dwindled and the dual compound Road Attack should wear longer.

I'll keep the commentary running as the tires continue their service.
1999 Triumph Trophy 1200
2002 Triumph Sprint ST
2005 Triumph Tiger

Gen. George S. Patton

Mini Mo

I just ordered a Conti Road Attack this morning for my '99. I'll be taking a 7,000 mi. ride in June and will let you know what kind of milage/wear I get. Took the same trip last year with a new Anakee. It handled great in the dry and excelled in the wet (2 1/2 days of solid rain and snow) but am a bit disappointed in the mileage I got. Less than 8,000 and it's pretty much shot. Also, these things are LOUD when they start to wear.
1999 Tiger
2006 KTM 450 EXC
1971 Honda CB750