News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigger Tyre Guide

Started by Stretch, February 20, 2008, 01:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"My 96 Steamer has a set of Dunlop Trailmax on them. Just noticed the sidewalls have some hairline cracks in them so I'll be changing them soon. I have no idea how old they are or how many miles are on them, but I've had a couple of surprises with them. The rear is currently about 65% gone. The front about 35% gone.

They look a little off road oriented, which might explain my findings.

Nikolai
I can't find that tire for sale anywhere on the net for USA dealers it only shows up on UK web sites

Also they all claim  superior off road use and not so much for road but road legal that would explain their bad manners on pavement

That tire is not listed in Dunlop USA's tire catalog either on their web site , so quite possibly you have old tires (cracks in sidewalls) and that will also make for hard rubber that will behave badly

Tourances work really really good on steamers good grip and long life

Dunlop 607 works good but wears faster,

Cheapest ,bestest tire I have used so far is the Shinko 705's , they are not radials but bias ply and the tigger worked real good on them last year on cross country trip wear has been excellent and the price is smokin but they are hard to find now after the BMW crowd learned of them
They look to have a new radial version coming out for Tiger sizes but the price is going up  :cry:

Colonel Nikolai

So it would seem I'm riding on wheel chock rubber. Once again, thanks Mustang. I have a long list of work to do: Replace tires and chain and sprockets. I probably shouldn't be riding it at all until this is done.

I did see your post about the Shinkos and investigated them. Maybe I'll try a set of those.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

NeilD

Quote from: "Mustang"Tourances work really really good on steamers good grip and long life

:

had a pair put on mine a month or so back to replace the old cracked 'escapes' that it came with...  I love 'em so far although not tried them in the wet nor off road, but great for my riding...  8)

JetdocX

OK, my inner cheap bastard can no longer stand the Conti Trail Attacks (coincidentally they are mostly worn out).  

I've had Anakees on there and liked them.  I had TKC-80's on a smaller bike and loved them, but since I commute on this thing, I think knobs are a waste based on the accelerated wear vs. price.

Anyone tried Anakee II's?  Anything else?
From parts unknown.

Colonel Nikolai

If you can wait long enough (week or 2) I think I'm going to end up with anakee 2s because my local guy has them and can mount them for me.

KuzzinKenny

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"My 96 Steamer has a set of Dunlop Trailmax on them. Just noticed the sidewalls have some hairline cracks in them so I'll be changing them soon. I have no idea how old they are.

This might help !!

http://www.amadirectlink.com/roadride/R ... /tires.asp

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Colonel Nikolai

Hey thanks KuzzinKenny.

So out to the garage and I find that the tires were made in January of 2004  :shock: No wonder.

Mustang if you're reading this and want to remove my posts on the Dunlop Trailmax from this thread, feel free: I figure since the thread is sticky and my information is out of date on a tire that isn't being made and could potentially mislead people. Or? Maybe it's helpful? I dunno. Up to you.

Cheers everyone.

jsingraham

So since I have an extra set of wheels for my 06, I am looking to put a set of sport touring/street tires on that extra set of wheels.  Any recommendations from those of you who have ran street tires?  

I live in the midwest, and 80% of my riding is fairly straight roads with the occasional trip to Arkansas or S W Missouri where there are some good twisties, so I do want something to handle well in those circumstances.  But since I really don't need the dual sport tires but for about 2% of my annual mileage, I figured I might as well run something that gives me a bit more smooth ride and probably better handling than what the Anakees that I have on it now provide.

I was looking at the Metzeler Roadtec Z6 sport touring ones, but really don't know what to look for since I haven't tried anything but Anakees and Tourances on my Tiger's before.

Thanks,
Jason
06 Triumph Tiger - Caspian Blue
07 Yamaha FJR - Black Cherry
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel
02 jr 50(really for the kids!)

Mustang

Jason

These work pretty good and give good mileage wear too !

Avon
AM26 Roadrider Rear Tire

Rear from Motorcycle superstore is $100 and the matching front is 85 but the front size is only a 90/90/19

the metzlers are available in a tiger size of 110/80/19

that's the common problem trying to fit street rubber to the tiger hard to find matching front tires lots of tires out there that will fit the rear .the front not so much

Bridgestone
Battlax BT-45 Sport Touring Front Tire

these are the bonneville tires and they can be had in tiger sizes for front  but the rears only go up to a 140/17  
but you can get a rear Battlax BT-45V for a 100 bucks that is a 150/17
so you could run the bridgestones which work very well on the bonneville BTW for about $180 a set

jsingraham

Thanks Ken...after posting that last night, I got a response from my neighbor who is on his 3rd set of Michelin Pilot Road's and I did a little reading on them and found quite a few Tiger and big trailie folks have used and really liked them.  There is some on Ebay now, a front and rear set for $189.  So between your suggestions and the Michelin's, I think I have a couple to choose from that are all at good prices.

Jason
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel

jsingraham

Ended up going with the Michelin Pilot Roads.  For $189 for the pair with free shipping and the high ratings everywhere that I found, I figured it would be tough to go wrong with that.  We shall see once I get them mounted on my spare wheels and then swapped over to the bike.  Hope to do it in the next couple of weeks.  Haven't even pulled the Tiger out of the shed yet this spring, so hopefully this will be enough of an incentive to get me moving on it.

Jason
86 Honda TR200 FatCat
85 Yamaha BW200 Bigwheel

tett

Just installed Heidenau K60's.  Feels great now that I know I can do this task.   So good it's time for an evening beer!

I just need to balance these and I am ready to slap em back on.

Here are a some of great youtube vids which show how to change tires

98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

JetdocX

OK, I'm finished with the Conti Trail Attacks.  If you look really close, you can actually see the air inside.

The sidewall wear came on really suddenly.  Scared the crap out of me Sunday morning 100 miles from home.  I rode back on them.  It was the longest 2.5 hours in the saddle to date. :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

You can really see the dual compound construction.

9649 out of the rear tire.  I think that's a record for me.  I could push it some more, but left turns now scare the crap out of me.

Going with Anakee II's next.
From parts unknown.

EvilBetty

You easily have another 10k to go on that tire...

:new_popcornsmiley
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

tett

I just did my first 50Km's on the Heidenau K60's.

I balanced these with Dynabeads.  http://www.dynabeads.net/

On dry pavement these tires are great!  Quieter than I thought they would be.  The dynabeads did a fantastic job of balancing the tires.

I think these a re a great dual purpose 50-50 tire.

tett
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger