News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tigger Tyre Guide

Started by Stretch, February 20, 2008, 01:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mustang

Quote from: "HamrenDan"So which Shinko tires did you go with?
My guess would be 705's

Yankee Dog

I put a set of 705 on mine. They handled great, wet or dry, pavement or gravel. But I burned through the rear tire in about 3000 miles. The front is still hanging in there. I do believe the it will last until 8 or 10000. The rear is now a Pilot Road 3 by the way.

NZDeano

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "HamrenDan"So which Shinko tires did you go with?
My guess would be 705's

Yep! Man you guy's know your tires. 705's it is. I guess rear tire longevity could be an issue with these. The comparison on price was $308NZ for both front & rear fitted and balanced. Most other brands on offer were that price for a rear tire only.
Thinking back about my original thread comment I dont beleive there was anything inherently wrong with the worn Tourances, but more to the point that the way they were worn. Having that flat centre it seemed to leave a real smooth (no tread) point on the tire right at that critical roll over point as you lean into the corner. So if you got a stone on the road right on that roll over point, sideways she would go. Again, I think the long swing arm, single shock, high HP design seemed to amplify the problem.
Just one mans thoughts on it.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Champy

Used to believe in Tourances, and they were very good in the wet.

That is until I tried a set of Continental ContiTrail Attack.

Wow. Straight lining was as if the bike was on rails, and the cornering just perfect. One hero blob gone, and the other worn down big time.

Just increases confidence so much!
You need to scare yourself at least once a day.

fnjeep314

The PO installed Metzler Touraces on the rear, and some Dunlop that was too big on the front. I just replaced the front with a Heidenau K76. I only have a few hundred miles on it, I noticed a difference in how more solid the bike felt right away. When the rear wears out, I am going to replace the Metzler with the rear Heidenau K76.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499030
I do things!

Bixxer Bob

There was a leaflet in this month's Bike mag for Maxxis tyres. I've not ridden on them, but they carry a very good selection of tyres from road to extreme offroad.  Anyone used them?

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/Off-road.aspx

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/Street.aspx
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"There was a leaflet in this month's Bike mag for Maxxis tyres. I've not ridden on them, but they carry a very good selection of tyres from road to extreme offroad.  Anyone used them?

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/Off-road.aspx

http://www.maxxis.com/MotorcycleATV/Street.aspx
I've used the Desert IT knobbies on my 450 honda great tire wore like iron (even road on tarmac with it) good traction .

Tried the Presa Detours on my steamer , while they handled good the rear wore out smooth as a babys bottom in (absolutely no tread left )5000 miles . and the front cupped (no surprise there)
was on a road trip from east coast usa to west coast and back .

Didn't think I was going to make it back home but in there defense they made the last couple thousand miles home (7000 total) with no tread at all .
Good thing it didn't rain   :lol:

TigerT

New tyres required for bike. Last set were Bridgestone trailwing which have been ok but not particularly long lasting. I have used tourance before which were good but tempted by continental trail attack but will they match the metzlers for mileage?
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

Champy

I used to get around 8k on rear and 12k on front when I ran Tourances.

Conti's are a little less at 6k rear and 10k front, but are so good, I am happy to live with that!
You need to scare yourself at least once a day.

Spud

I love "anakee" for my 6 year old Tiger. I get reasonable mileage out of them also.

On a side note and not to hijack the thread.....

I have been pricing up the cost of shipping my bike out to the "south island" for a trip, as hiring was looking a tad expensive.

Cheers Spud  :wink:

BigDan

I've done 7k so far on my set of Anakees and still going strong. Hoping to get 10k out of them before a change

2006 tiger 955
2007 Triumph Sprint ST 1050  - Add me on Facebook

NZDeano

Quote from: "Spud"I love "anakee" for my 6 year old Tiger. I get reasonable mileage out of them also.

On a side note and not to hijack the thread.....

I have been pricing up the cost of shipping my bike out to the "south island" for a trip, as hiring was looking a tad expensive.

Cheers Spud  :wink:

Hey Spud, how did you go on that pricing of shipping your bike out? I can only say that regardless of cost, the countryside and scenery wont dissapoint.
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

Spud

looking at about £1600 and the price of the import bond at 15% to get it in to the country, so I may look at hiring again.

i have already been twice and toured in a car but really want to do it on a bike a nice figure of 8 around both north and south islands. cheers spud  :wink:

oxnsox

Had Tourances on the Girly when I got her, now running Conti Trail attcks... Fist time I've worn a tyre to the edge, but then maybe thats just me getting more familiar with her   :lol:   Gave me the confidence to ride thru the hills (Whangamoas) after a cold and icy spell with plenty of Grit on the road. Something I wouldn't have even thought about not so many years back.

On the OT. When you looking at coming down this way Spud?
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

kiwijohn

Quote from: "Spud"looking at about £1600 and the price of the import bond at 15% to get it in to the country, so I may look at hiring again.

i have already been twice and toured in a car but really want to do it on a bike a nice figure of 8 around both north and south islands. cheers spud  :wink:

You could look at buying and selling whle over there. Could work out cheaper.
Somerset, UK