News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thunderbolts Way

Started by Advwannabe, March 09, 2008, 08:53:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Advwannabe

Is the name for one of the bike riding meccas in inland NSW. It takes you through the Great Dividing range. I had to ride back to Sydney from Brisbane and thought I may as well make a ride of it.

I hadn't planned on it chucking down rain and record floods along the way. The first day down from Brisbane and the Oxley Highway was effectively a wet weather test of the new Macadams. Not bad!

Sunday was mercifully a little drier and I was able to enjoy some fast dirt around Walcha before the rain arrived again

before turning onto the Thunderbolts. Corner after corner and views like this

It couldn't last though. I got of and took this photo just as the air started to thicken and cool

After a solid drenching I convinced myself it would be dry enough to attempt the Barrington Tops road over the range to Moonee Flat. Not clever. THe ride though the clouds near the top of the range was pretty cool though

before some steep rough downhills and finally some fastish downhill corners with views just before the bottom of the range.

Just about the only things that would have made this ride better would have been a decent bashplate, shock and some TKCs. The rear shock faded badly over the rough country and we had effectively no damping left after 100 miles or so of dirt. Trying to coax Tigger up a steep incline with the ammount of axle tramp it was getting was 'interesting'. Overall though, short of really knarley single track, Tiggers can handle anything!
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

HockleyBoy

Nice report and great photos. You are lucky having such great trails to ride in that part of the world!
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport