News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Why do they call them....

Started by droopydawg, March 12, 2008, 12:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetdocX

When is "Beaker going to formally make it into this thread? :twisted:
From parts unknown.

viltsu

I call my 955i Tiger 'Ossi', as the sticker on the side panel looks like it's reading 'Ossi', '9' with big head looks little bit of 'O'. Ossi is male name in finnish. It sounds little funny to call it that way.

Milton

Mine actually sounds like a steam engine when pulling away from a stop.
1992 BMW K100RS 4V 49K Broken but not dead. She shall arise from the ashes!

1998 Triumph Tiger. This bike rocks!

kdog37217

I remember when the '99 models came out. They were sometimes referred to as "Electrics", as in diesel/electric locomotives compared to steam locomotives. Maybe the fact that they also had electronic fuel injection had something to do with it.

We seem to have settled on Girly, but I wanted to inject that little memory in there, before it goes away.

Kdog37217
'01 Tiger 955i
I\'ve planned the route where no day is more than 288 miles...

mbellantone

Sorry, new to the Triumph fold and I see the term a lot, (which i'm assuming is a model)  but what the hell is a "Steamer"?  My kids will tell me it's a fresh pile of dung?

thanks!

Mike
2012 Tiger 800 Venom Yellow
1984 R80RT

ArcticTiger

Its the nickname on the first gen Hinckley Tigers, that went from 1993 to 1998. There is a tread around on the forum explaining the nicknames in the various models.
BTW: The green ones from 1998 are the best ones 8)
-09 Triumph Tiger 1050 blazing orange
-98 Triumph Tiger 900 british racing green
-06 Ducati Multistrada 1000 S DS red
-99 Moto Guzzi EV 11 Cali. (Wi, USA)
-00 Yamaha TT600R
You are allowed to have only one wife, but you can ride as many bikes as you want...

Dilbert

You can save the "Beaker" for the 800XC, if you like, but the standard distinction on the 800 site for this is 800 Roadie, which makes a lot more sense

But then when did sense enter into forum life  :wink:
2011 white Tiger 800 roadie, with a naff tiger decal on the tank so you know it\'s me!

TrEx

There have been nicknames lovingly applied to previous models of the Tiger: Steamers, Girlies, Roadies, Beakers....
That forum hasn't yet christened the Explorer, and over on the Tiger Explorer forum,  http://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php?action=forum#c1 so far I've seen TE, T12, X12, E12, Tiger 1200, Tiger Ex, Tiger Explorer, and simply Explorer along with some personal sobriquets like Dora.

Any creative ideas out there for a nickname that captures the soul of the new machine? (apologies to Tracy Kidder)
Dave
Rochester, NY
Make time to ride, don\'t ride to make up time.

Bixxer Bob

It's already pretty much ''Dora'' in other posts on here :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Sin_Tiger

I'll be interested to see what moniker they give the spooked wheel version :?
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

TrEx

Seems to me to be a fine name for an individual bike, but I'm not sure it fits as a more-generic term for a class of bikes. Not that I have any better ideas myself, but I'd be surprised if that goes into general usage.
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"It's already pretty much ''Dora'' in other posts on here :D
Dave
Rochester, NY
Make time to ride, don\'t ride to make up time.

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "TrEx"Seems to me to be a fine name for an individual bike, but I'm not sure it fits as a more-generic term for a class of bikes. Not that I have any better ideas myself, but I'd be surprised if that goes into general usage.
Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"It's already pretty much ''Dora'' in other posts on here :D

They might just steal your tag, which wouldn't be half bad actually.

I was offered a tatty  Rocket III recently and for a fleeting moment considered a custom paint job with the name of T Rex or T Wrecks-
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Bixxer Bob

It used to be a brand of lard....... :lol:

Mustang 'll be along in a minut to stop this hijack.... :violent1
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

kneedragon76

being that i'm a new tiger owner and having read this thread i'm never going to look at my bike the same again.  Eyelases and breasts, wow???...