News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Why do they call them....

Started by droopydawg, March 12, 2008, 12:45:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

droopydawg

Mustang

From the TRIUMPH Tiger List on Yahoo !
QuoteGroup folklore. One of our ex-members (J Sagar) and one of the other
listers were having some friendly banter and it was mentioned that the
bike look quite industrial and J had a picture of his in front of
coal-skip. The conversation went on about coal-powered, steam-driven
etc....so it's been Steamers and Girly efi's from there on :)

and of course the obvious reference that they are a steaming pile .......
a steamer if you will...........

Girly ... just have a look on the eye-linered face of the 955 , you understand
why.
[/b]
and the Roadie name came from the same group maybe cause when the new tigers came out they are not as adventure type bike oriented in looks at least .

and there you have it

Hey Stretch maybe you should make a sticky cuz new tiger owners seem to always ask this question !

WIDGIN

Regarding Girlies, it's also been suggested that the volumptious, rounded gas tank resembles a woman's bust.  I prefer this version since the eyelashs were only on a few years production.  :lol:
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

Stretch

Also that the reliable starter and nearly maintenance-free fuel injection system lends itself to derision by the real men who ride (and fight with) Steamers.  Or some shit.  :mrgreen:

Carburetors = lower tech than electronic fuel injection, so they're likened to steam engines... 'Steamers'.

CBAT's Steamer

Abruzzi's Girly.  Notice the eyelashes (2001-2004) and voluptuous tank.

Isldtime's Roadie, so nicknamed due to it's apparent lack of off-road ability, although a good rider can ride anything nearly anywhere.

Mustang

actually the Girly name came about because of the 1999 885 fi bike it was smaller than the steamer and dubbed a Girly because it was not as manly as a steamer  .

as Paul Harvey would say ...........and that is the rest of the story !

WIDGIN

Quote from: "Mustang"actually the Girly name came about because of the 1999 885 fi bike it was smaller than the steamer and dubbed a Girly because it was not as manly as a steamer  .

as Paul Harvey would say ...........and that is the rest of the story !

Mustang, you're quite mistaken.  Steamers were named that way because the 885 motor provides a wimpy, albeit leisurely ride (like a steam powered paddlewheel riverboat.) :roll:
Girlies, on the other hand, provide a wild, exciting ride like...like... :shock:
Never mind, this is a family site.  :oops:
WIDGIN (When In Doubt, Gas It Now)
BRG 2005 955i R.I.P.

Mustang

Quote from: "WIDGIN"Mustang, you're quite mistaken.  Steamers were named that way because the 885 motor provides a wimpy, albeit leisurely ride (like a steam powered paddlewheel riverboat.) :roll:
Girlies, on the other hand, provide a wild, exciting ride like...like... :shock:
Never mind, this is a family site.  :oops:
:ImaPoser

ridin gaijin

Quote from: "WIDGIN"Regarding Girlies, it's also been suggested that the volumptious, rounded gas tank resembles a woman's bust.

I think SOMEONE needs to maybe get out a little more...
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

TigerTrax

Girlies derived from the early model '99+ fuelies because they had
scalloping over the headights that resembled 'eyebrows'. Personally... I refer to them as 'sluts'. Elliot Spitzer might refer to them as a 'good time'.

I don't know how 'roadies' got into the mix.... I guess it's because even Triumph didn't know how to classify the '07+ models. Can't say as I've heard how comfortable they are long distance.... but I would question their comfort for an 800 mile day. I picture it as a 'street fighter'.

So far my '06 has done all I have wanted in a bike.

Somewhere out there is a 750cc 'standard' waiting for resurrection!
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

CBAT

Where'd my Steamer go? I was kinda honored to have it picked as the example. Now the picture is gone.  :(
Bruce

HockleyBoy

The red steamer (yours?) is still there when I look.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

CBAT

Well, now it's back.  :eusa_dance Must have been lost in cyberspace last time. I even reloaded the page twice.  :icon_scratch
Bruce

droopydawg

Well, I guess I can defend the Roadie, or whatever it is being called, with regards to comfort.  I bought my 07 last april. Have 10k on it now, which includes riding from Atlanta to Sturgis, by way of I-40 to NMex and up to Denver.  Most days were 400mile+. One day 500+ and one day 600+ miles.  It was very comfortable considering the length of riding on some of those days.
I even went off road for 30 miles on a dirt road with mostly hardpack, some loose gravel and plenty of washout (Phantom Canyon Road, Colorado). Loaded down with camping gear for my week and a half adventure and even sliding out the rear tire intentionally on the dirt road, standing on the pegs, it did remarkably well, considering the asphalt oriented Micheline Pilots as OE. The prior years Tigers do look more capable of these kinds of roads, but was impressed with the 07 performance. Maybe we can call the '07 the BEAR, since it is maybe BEAR-LY capable of off-road.
I am in the planning stages for a trip to the AC (artic circle) in '09 and think Dunlop D616 might be more suitable.

Mustang

Quote from: "droopydawg"Most days were 400mile+. One day 500+ and one day 600+ miles.  It was very comfortable considering the length of riding on some of those days.

That's what Tigers do !

QuoteI even went off road for 30 miles on a dirt road with mostly hardpack, some loose gravel and plenty of washout (Phantom Canyon Road, Colorado). Loaded down with camping gear for my week and a half adventure and even sliding out the rear tire intentionally on the dirt road, standing on the pegs, it did remarkably well, considering the asphalt oriented Micheline Pilots as OE. The prior years Tigers do look more capable of these kinds of roads, but was impressed with the 07 performance.

It's still a tiger WOOHOO !

BIG BILL

You,, Yank's  :D

The Steamer was nown to leak from the radiator pipes on early models hense Steamer. the 955i had ( on early models eyebrows painted above the head lights ) so was named Girly and so on ( I have since added Grapihcs on my Tiger--Cos I like them ) The rodie or 1050 Tiger was built for road use only.

All new Tigers are fine for high Millage and long live the Tiger.

I can't wait for the 1200 later this year.
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the bloody thing (Barry Sheene) Silver 2004 tiger