News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Windy Ride, 4/15/08

Started by paulie, April 16, 2008, 04:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulie

http://madisonmotorcyclist.blogspot.com/2008/04/windy-ride-report-4152008.html

DISCLAIMER: I don't have any pics :(  Sorry kids.

QuoteSo my girlfriend and I took off on a ride after work yesterday.

Temps have been in the upper 50s so far this week, but the winds have been incredible. We're talking ~30mph gusts(according to the weather sites). We geared up and took off anyway, knowing we'd get pummeled.

We took backroads from Madison out to Mount Horeb, WI. This area contains some of my favorite riding within a half hour of Madison. Nice and twisty anywhere you go. Have a look at Google Maps and do a search for Mount Horeb, WI. Then find County Highway JG going north out of Mt. Horeb. We rode JG and points northwest. There were a couple of roads that were closed for some unknown reason, which caused us to double back a couple of times. I didn't have the inclination or the daylight to explore why these roads were closed. I probably would have if I'd been riding solo. I also was forced to really take it easy in the twisties, since these are side roads after all. They still had sand and areas of gravel from winter. These roads are some of the most fun when they are clear. You can really lean over. Awesome.

Anyway, after about an hour of riding we stopped to rest a bit. My girlfriend noticed my "perma-grin" and mentioned she was having lots of fun, and that her "favorite part is the curvy bits". Always good to hear! Especially since I wasn't even pushing through those corners due to road conditions.

She's been doing awesome so far when she's riding with me. I have no complaints on her riding. She keeps her head on the inside when we lean, and that's really all I ask. I guess the only thing I would change is to give her a few extra inches in height. It would be cool to be able to have her seeing over my shoulder so she can anticipate things a bit better. The other hand sees her head right behind my shoulders, which I'm sure sheilds her from oncoming winds quite a bit. She says she's been comfortable so far, so that's all that matters, right?

We geared back up and continued on toward home.

The ride home was a slab ride on 151. This highway rides the ridges amongst the hills and farmland of southern WI. Did I mention it was WINDY? It seemed especially strong on this road, as we were essentially riding the hilltops with nothing to break the wind(aside from yours truly  :lol:). It was difficult to keep the bike in a straight line. There were times that leaning the bike over into the wind was the only solution. As soon as that wind was broken up though, I'd have to immediately compensate or I'd be in the ditch. It was my first ever ride in high winds, and despite having to keep on my toes to keep the bike on the road, it wasn't too bad. I wouldn't want to ride in winds like that for hours though, I was tired enough after a half hour of it. The Tiger handled the winds OK, and I dont think there's a windscreen in the world that could have alleviated those winds.

We got home shortly after sunset and ate pasta.  :roll:

I'd just like to close with this: Every time I ride my Tiger, I seem to "connect" with it more. I do really think that this is the bike for me. Is it possible to be in love with a machine?  (Maybe I should ask Harrison Ford?)

Ride on everyone.

I'm really looking forward to riding with some more Tigers this summer!
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650