News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Todays GS Launch in the UK

Started by Chris Canning, March 13, 2004, 06:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Hi Gents

As i've owned a BM 1100s for 4 years got roped in to the new GS launch at my local dealer,to say it was a shock would be putting it mildly at the risk of some exageration!!! it's  about half the size of it's predecessor,there are one or two things that are a little iffy!!! but BM really have made a grandstand effort,just makes me even more even more angry at Triumphs piss poor effort.

Chris

Brock

Mmmmmmmm...

I'll be taking a ride on one myself when the stampede's died down.

I've heard they've sold all the first shipment and they're taking orders for Sept delivery...
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Chris Canning

Hi Brock

They told me the september if your lucky which really mean 05!!!,don't get me wrong the while the new GS is a good'un my SuperMoto'd Tiger is still good enough to kick it's ass,but thats not the point really,it's the fact that Triumph's sitting on it's back side.

Chris

Pawk

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Hi Brock

They told me the september if your lucky which really mean 05!!!,don't get me wrong the while the new GS is a good'un my SuperMoto'd Tiger is still good enough to kick it's ass,but thats not the point really,it's the fact that Triumph's sitting on it's back side.

Chris

If Triumph is planning to focus on the cruiser/retro bikes and ditch all the others within 5 years as discussed in another thread,  why would they spend all the R&D time on a massively revamped bike that they plan to 86 anyway.....

Chris Canning

Well that in actual fact is Triumphs problem,they can't make their mind up about the Tiger,i believe their original intention was to just let it fade away like the others,the rub being that at least in the UK it's has been a very good seller,no doubt being a lot cheaper than a GS.

For me they should either leave it to die a death,or made some kind of effort,a bigger motor,change the exhuast,and generaly get some weight off,the lastest effort as they say neither Fish nor Fowl !!!!!!

Chris

Brock

Chris...I have to disagree re the bigger motor. The 955i's big enough and it's soooooooooo much smoother than a boxer. In this case, personally I feel bigger would not be better. Less weight would be nice but again I don't feel it's a problem. I think a bit of a styling make-over, some modern (more pwerful) headlamps and upgraded suspension to keep pace with the competition would have been enough. Let's face it...in the real world  a GS still won't keep up with a well-ridden Tigger.
Chris

Quote from: "Brock"Let's face it...in the real world  a GS still won't keep up with a well-ridden Tigger.

I hate to say it but, I think (on paper) the new GS is going to be quite a beast. 100bhp @ 200kgs is as good as our Tiggers 104 @ 215.

What worries (or it could amuse!) me about the BM is its reliability. My old GS 100 had knackered gearbox and shaft after only 25K miles. This new GS has an unproven new design of swingarm which looks rather iffy to me.

We'll see.

Brock

Yeah...as they say, it aint what you've got, it's the way that you use it. Anyway if it did come down to power/weight I can't see the difference being worth almost 3 grand (the difference between a new GS and a new Tigger). Hey ho...
Chris

Quote from: "Chris Canning",it's the fact that Triumph's sitting on it's back side. Chris

With the Tiger being the biggest selling "big trailie" (April Bike mag pg40) why should Triumph bother?

Quote :-

"The Tiger is a very important bike for us and will continue to evolve" Bruno Tagliaferri.

Obviously he should have added "slowly".