News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Valve stem lube... Molybdenum Disulphide Grease

Started by Cache, March 13, 2004, 11:05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cache

Hey boys n girls - long time...

Anybody have experience or knowledge with regards to lubricating valve stems?  Triumph recommends Molybdenum Disulphide grease.  I'm having a hard time finding valve train specific lube.  I know there is a brand called Clean Flo <sp> White Grease that contains sulphide, but not convinced this is the right choice.

TY & Cheers,

Cache
\"Ah but fortunately... I have the key, to escape reality\" - John Prine

RedMenace

Quote from: "Cache"Hey boys n girls - long time...

Anybody have experience or knowledge with regards to lubricating valve stems?  Triumph recommends Molybdenum Disulphide grease.  I'm having a hard time finding valve train specific lube.  I know there is a brand called Clean Flo <sp> White Grease that contains sulphide, but not convinced this is the right choice.

TY & Cheers,

Cache

I haven't worked on a "modern" valve train, so I could be talking out my ass here, but I don't think it much matters. The grease is going to melt right out of there. I thought valve stems were lubed by top end oiling and sometimes abbeted by the guide material (bronze guides in the case of my Norton). Don't know 'bout the new Triumphs, but I'd guess the grease is just to aid things at start up and any good quality moly would do fine.
The Red Menace

Cache

Quote from: CacheBel-Ray makes a Moly based assembly lube.  I think I'll just crack a beer and use that shit.  

Wahooooooooooo

BR

I agree... don't think it really matters.  Dip each stem in some motor oil and insert for assembly.  That'll be more oil than they'll see during normal running anyway!  Assembly lubes/greases are for those items such as cam lobes/lifters that won't have much oil on them at initial start up.. which is not the case for a Tiger as well.  The shim/bucket arrangement holds enough pooled oil for each successive startup and you'll be flooding the valve-train area anyway with engine oil before you bolt on the valve cover anyway (right?).  No grease needed...

BR

'98 BRG Tiger

Cache

Quote from: "BR"I agree... don't think it really matters.  Dip each stem in some motor oil and insert for assembly.  That'll be more oil than they'll see during normal running anyway!  Assembly lubes/greases are for those items such as cam lobes/lifters that won't have much oil on them at initial start up.. which is not the case for a Tiger as well.  The shim/bucket arrangement holds enough pooled oil for each successive startup and you'll be flooding the valve-train area anyway with engine oil before you bolt on the valve cover anyway (right?).  No grease needed...

BR

'98 BRG Tiger

Yes indeed TY.  I'm also going to warm the majority of oil up just b4 I push the button.  The Buell guys recommended mixing  a 50/50 STP oil treatment and 20W Synthetic and use it on the freshly honed sleeves and valve train.  That works for me.

I'M GETTING REAL ITCHY TO RIDE :-) pant pant...