News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Recommend me some tyres

Started by tediem, March 19, 2004, 04:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tediem

Hi,

I have Mich MT66 on my 2001 Tiger and am not convinced about them, anybody got any suggestions for good alround tyres?

Cheers

Mark

Robbie

Metz Tourances for road and light laneing
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

Brock

My Tigger had Tourances on it when I bought it, but when they started to square off a bit at the beginning of winter I decided to try something "different". Our local club had a talk by a guy from Michelin and he told me about their "Anakee" tyres. Apparently they'd used a Tiger during the development of the tyre, so you could say it was designed with this bike in mind. So I bought a pair.

Handling-wise they're very similar to Tourances. The big difference is in the wet. Tourances could be made to spin-up and slide, but it's far more difficult with the Anakees. Obviously I haven't tried them when it's dry and sticky yet, but every indication is that they should offer a bit more grip. Obviously the trade-off is that they probably won't wear as well as the Tourances, but hey...grippy tyres wear out quicker. It's a fact.

Overall I'd recommend the Michelins. I believe the Anakees replaced the MT66's.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

tediem

Thanks for the suggestions, will go round a few tyre dealers at the w/e and see what deals I can get.

madmax

i need some new tyres.how much are the anakees.compared to the tourances..

Brock

Nothing in it really...about the same.
Chris

madmax

8) had a quote today for a pair of Tourances they priced them at 210 pounds.The guy in the shop said that the Anakees would only last half the mileage of the Tourances.Also he said the Anakees are no better than the Tourances in the wet.??? :twisted:

Quote from: "madmax"8) had a quote today for a pair of Tourances they priced them at 210 pound

WHAT!!!!!!!

You shop in the wrong places. Try Watling tyres or "Sherlocks" independant BMW dealer. They shouldn't be much over £155 a pair.

Brock

MadMax...problem with people in shops is they don't always know what they're talking about. That's why there's sites like this, with people like us (owners of the bike) asking one another questions. I too had some negative responses from people to the tune of "Tourances are good tyres...last millions of miles...why shop around?" Then I spoke to the Michelin man (OK he's biased!) and a couple of owners who'd tried the Anakees so I decided to give 'em a try.

It's true...the Anakees won't last quite as long, but as I said...that's the trade-off with stickier tyres. They ARE better in the wet...believe me...I've just finished a winter of using them. At the end of the day (hate that phrase) it's up to you...play safe with the same old thing or try summat different. Phew.

Oh, and by the way the price you've been quoted is outrageous...I paid about £170 the pair, fitted/balanced. OK...I did remove the wheels.
Chris

madmax

8) O.K Brock you've sold me.  I'm going to get a pair of Anakees. In July I'm doing Portsmouth, Cherbourg, La Rochelle over the Pyrenees into Andorra.  Should give the tyres a good test.  Will let you know about it.

Brock

Obviously with long distances like you're contemplating (with a great deal of mileage upright, at speed) then the decision is a little more difficult. The Anakees (being stickier) may well square off a bit sooner with this kind of use. Common sense really...for what you're contemplating maybe the good old Tourances (being harder compound, more touring-biased tyres) would be the best option. Only thing is...you'll be stuck with 'em for ages! Tricky one, I know...I'm just being honest with you!

Good Luck
Chris

madmax

:twisted: brock to late mate gettin my annakees on thursday from m and p front one 71 pound rear 90 pound.(my pound sign on my keyboard doesnt work).Dont get chance to use the tiger as much as i would like to because i work away from home most of the year.So i think these tyres will do me for a year.Cheers!

Brock

That's a good price, mate. They'll be fine...just get plenty of twisties lined up on your trip to balance the wear. Enjoy.
Chris

I can't disagree with you about the Anakees because I haven't tried them, but I question the need to change from the Tourances. If I can scrape my pegs frequently with the Tourances, why would I need more grip and less mileage?