News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

White Rim Trail in Moab Utah!!!!!

Started by Sasquatch, March 22, 2004, 07:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

The first serious dual sport ride is now under our belts and we came through mostly undamaged.  Traveling through Moab on the way home from NM, what else is there to do but park the motorhomes, unload the Tigers, and go ride.

We had heard that if you only ride one trail in Moab, it must be the "White Rim Trail".  On a Moab dual sport website it is listed as "very difficult" and at 130 miles, quite long.  4x4's take 2 full days to transverse the trail.  What the heck, we can always turn around if it gets too tough.... :lol3

The trail is everything it was described as.  Very rough, remote and grueling.  But, the rewards were some of the most breathtaking scenery my father and I had ever seen.  I am just going to insert a bucnh of photos, and only comment on a few, I have a lot and not a lot of time right now.  For all the photos, see:  http://sasquatch.smugmug.com/gallery/86187/1/3004944

Enjoy...

No guardrails, no safety nets, don't slip.

Colorado River

Yours truly..

My father.  Excellent rider.  I hope I am still this good in my early 60's.

Not zoomed.  These big horn sheep let us get this close.

Nicnamed the "Sherpa" after this trip.

Endless, 360 degree beauty.

The tigers still do not like deep loose sand, and there was plenty of it on this trail.  Dad had the Continental knobbies, and I had Tourances, all deflated to about 25 front and 30 rear.

Ok, this is the "Hogback".  See the trail up there at the top?  This was an ugly climb.  The Tigers actually did a very respectable job at it, never complaining or getting hot.  We both had to abuse our clutches to make it over the top.  Definatly need to drop the gearing a tad.

View down from the top.  This is alot steeper and rougher than it looks in the photos.  Photos just do not do it justice.

Jumped off one too many ledges and the left footpeg gave way.  Luckily, the rider and passenger pegs are exactly the same, less the hero "curb feelers".  So 5 minutes later we are on our way again.

Green River

Yes, there is a road up this, very steep and switchbacks.  There is a few cars littering the rock face who did not make it.  I doubt they survived if they rode the car down.

A closer shot.

In summary, some things were learned:

*Tigers make excellent rough terrain bikes.

*If you think 1/2 gallon of water in your camelback is enough, bring more, lots more.

*If you consider a trail like this, make sure every vital organ of that bike is protected.  The stock Triumph skid plates would have left us stranded with mashed pipes and split oil lines.

*Take a good map.

*Here is a suprising fact.  Dad had the Continental knobbies on his bike, and I had the stock Metzler Tourances on mine.  We noticed NO DIFFERENCE in traction once I let a bunch of air out of mine (down to 25psi).  I am an avid dirtbiker and had no problems navigating anything this trail had to throw at me.  Deep sand gave us both fits, but niether of us had an advantage because of tires.  This really suprised both of us, thinking I would have trouble with the very steep, loose, rocky, sandy climbs we had to make.

And finally, if you are a dual sporter, make the journey to Moab, you will not be dissapointed.

BykBoy

You guys ROCK! Great pics!

I did Porcupine Rim on a mountain bike and it was amazing. I can only imagine going out there on the big cat.  

I'm happy to see that your home made under guards held up. Now it's time to start mass producing them for the rest of us!
2001 Black 955i Tiger

Save $5 when you open a SmugMug account. Use the following coupon: 4l1hicJzWvYNE

TbA

Great Pics !

Looks lovely. Feel a lot better looking at those pictures than looking at the snow outside my window.  :(

But soon I•ll be out there. Riding my Tiger  :D
MCK Wheelers

Falun

Sweden

madmax

stunning pics.

your so lucky haveing that on your doorstep.sitting here in england watching it piss down again.bring on the summer. :P

Dick Boyer

You talked me into going, but I think I'll do it on my Honda XR650L. Saw the Tiger for another ride. Wonderful pics.

REDCAT