News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger is definitely the one i'm going for...

Started by BP_LONDON, March 29, 2004, 12:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BP_LONDON

I'm currently riding a Piaggio X9 maxi here in London and have passed my DAS course (full licence) a few weeks ago. I've been looking around for a good touring machine and have discovered the Tiger.

At first I thought I'd definitely go for a second hand GS but seeing and sitting on a 01 955I Tiger my mind was instantly made up. The whole thing speaks of attitide, individuality, quality and uniqueness.

I'll probably go for a 2000 - 2001 955I model (approx 5000-10000 on the clock as that is the maximum I can afford). Anything I should look out for/or avoid?

What are the general running costs and reliability compared to the GS? (I guess I already know the answer to that one). :D

Apologies if these newbie questions have been asked before a thousand times...

Regards.

BP.

Mutley

BP, call Carl Rosner in Croydon, he had a few 2000-2001 models seemed to be a good price, not sure on the colours as I was in a few weeks ago, they are a Solus dealer and won top Service ward again.

Seem Like a good bunch to, a bit old fashioned but hey I like that as I am sick of the Honda Yam look, all polished and no where to go :twisted:

You will find the number on the Triumph.co.uk web site under dealers.

I get mine some time in April :roll: just waiting for the Factory to ship it, so close know I can nearly touch it 8)

Mutley an 05 in 04 :twisted:

BP_LONDON

Thanks for the tip Mutley  (Carl Rosner was recommended by a person at my company as he purchased a Triumph from CR a few years ago and was very happy with the service etc).

PS: I can totally agree with the old fashion thing.

Good luck with your 05 Tiger :shock: Must be wonderful to know you're getting the awesome Tiger brand new.

oldbanker2003

Hi BP

Strange but I changed from an X9 to 855 Tig last year and ride into Southwark from Essex daily.

Good choice just take it very easy, she's going to feel realy top heavy at the stand.

I would try and get clear of the heavy traffic for a while (a weekend) and get comfortable with the bike first.

Enjoy.

Steve

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "oldbanker2003"Hi BP

Strange but I changed from an X9 to 855 Tig last year and ride into Southwark from Essex daily.

Good choice just take it very easy, she's going to feel realy top heavy at the stand.

I would try and get clear of the heavy traffic for a while (a weekend) and get comfortable with the bike first.

Enjoy.

Steve

Thanks Steve, Sounds like an excellent tip! I've only sat on one at a dealership and the bike did not feel too heavy. Guess it will be a totally diff story when riding it.

Brock

BP...good man...you're making the right choice. Couple of things;

1/ These engines aren't really loosened up till about 5-8,000 miles anyway, so in buying one a couple of years old with about that mileage, someone else has done all the work for you. Don't envy anyone buying new...OK...they're getting a spanky new thing, but they've got a lot of miles to do before she's giving her best.

2/ Corrosion is your main indicator when buying used. If the powder coating on the bottom of the engine is flaking and some of the fasteners and spoke ends are rusty it's a sign she's been run through a winter (or two).

3/ Steve's right...they can feel a bit top heavy 'till you're used to 'em. The old trick of using plenty of back brake against the engine to stabilise the bike at walking pace is worth remembering. The same technique you use when you're doing "U" turns. On the other hand, the high viewpoint is a big advantage in traffic!

4/ They also tend to use a bit of oil 'till they're loosened up. It's normal.

5/ Check and double check for the slightest oil or coolant leaks. Anything like that will be sorted under warranty, so make sure it's done before the warranty expires.

6/ Talking of which...make sure she's got a full service history. A dealer can get awkward about a warranty claim if the service record is anything but spot-on.

7/ Choose black...they're sooooo cool and much faster than the others.

Good luck...you should get a corker at the moment for good money. Everyone's snapping-up GS's and the new model Tigger (for some reason) so the world is your oyster as they say. Try "On Yer Triumph"...they've usually got some nice used ones in, with extras like H/grips, panniers etc.

Post us a piccy when you've done the business!
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Brock"BP...good man...you're making the right choice. Couple of things;

1/ These engines aren't really loosened up till about 5-8,000 miles anyway, so in buying one a couple of years old with about that mileage, someone else has done all the work for you. Don't envy anyone buying new...OK...they're getting a spanky new thing, but they've got a lot of miles to do before she's giving her best.

2/ Corrosion is your main indicator when buying used. If the powder coating on the bottom of the engine is flaking and some of the fasteners and spoke ends are rusty it's a sign she's been run through a winter (or two).

3/ Steve's right...they can feel a bit top heavy 'till you're used to 'em. The old trick of using plenty of back brake against the engine to stabilise the bike at walking pace is worth remembering. The same technique you use when you're doing "U" turns. On the other hand, the high viewpoint is a big advantage in traffic!

4/ They also tend to use a bit of oil 'till they're loosened up. It's normal.

5/ Check and double check for the slightest oil or coolant leaks. Anything like that will be sorted under warranty, so make sure it's done before the warranty expires.

6/ Talking of which...make sure she's got a full service history. A dealer can get awkward about a warranty claim if the service record is anything but spot-on.

7/ Choose black...they're sooooo cool and much faster than the others.

Good luck...you should get a corker at the moment for good money. Everyone's snapping-up GS's and the new model Tigger (for some reason) so the world is your oyster as they say. Try "On Yer Triumph"...they've usually got some nice used ones in, with extras like H/grips, panniers etc.

Post us a piccy when you've done the business!

Thanks for the excellent tips! I'll definitely keep those in mind when looking around.

Chris Canning

Pardon for pointing out the obvious!!!

If your looking at a 2000 then it'll be a 900i the 955 didn't start till May 2001.

Chris

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Pardon for pointing out the obvious!!!

If your looking at a 2000 then it'll be a 900i the 955 didn't start till May 2001.

Chris

Thanks for spotting that detail. Let me say I'm looking for a 2000 - 2001 model then, regardless of engine spec.

ratpackleader

Hi BP

If you want a black 2001 955i serviced @ Carl Rosner, then I can help out big time. Mine is up for grabs, and i can asure you it will be all you ever dreamed of.
Keep those knees in the breeze

Mutley

Ratpack, why is it for sale, just interested?

Mutley

BP_LONDON

Quote from: "ratpackleader"Hi BP

If you want a black 2001 955i serviced @ Carl Rosner, then I can help out big time. Mine is up for grabs, and i can asure you it will be all you ever dreamed of.

Price range?

Mutley

BP, you may notice the button on the bottom of everyone who posts called a PM, click that and it should allow you to email Ratpack directly through this site at least you dont have to way for a reply to your post.

Mutley

ratpackleader

Its a case of cast wheels and no more inner tubes from now on.

Its still a Tiger and I would'nt part with the 2001 model if the new model was not out soon.

Trust you understand. :lol:
Keep those knees in the breeze

Chris Canning

If your looking for a secondhand 2001 there's a black one in Windy Corner with 800 miles on the clock.

I too had been waiting to see if the new Tiger was worth changeing!!(it wasn't) although at sometime i'd be tempted with an old Silver one,my problem i've got that many Goodies on it,it'd take a week to get every thing of.

What does throw me is this anti inner tube thing!! i also run a BM1100s without innertubes!!! so what!! whats the difference?????

Chris (who's just off to the Le-Mans 24 hour!!!!)