News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Girly Headlight Bulb Replacement

Started by Stretch, May 14, 2008, 12:55:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

Yeah I know, it's really not a big deal, but we're trying build a Hall of Wisdom.

Tools required:
    Flat screwdriver (for your windscreen)
    5mm hex key  
    6mm hex key
    H4 60/55w bulb
    dielectric grease

First, disconnect the battery.  But I didn't, because the headlights only come on when the ignition is switched on, and I'm unsafe.  :mrgreen:

Remove the windscreen to expose the upper fairing bolts.

Remove the turn signal housing screws (two of them, 5mm hex)

And the same on the other side of the bike.

I don't have a short 5mm hex key for the inboard turn signal housing screws, so I use a T-30 bit and a 1/4" combination wrench...

... to remove this screw.  Same for the other side.

Lower the turn signal housings out of the way.

Remove the upper fairing bolts (6mm hex)...

...and the lower fairing bolts (same for the other side).

Topless Tiger.

Remove the headlight housing screws (5 mm hex.  Also one on the other side)...

... and one underneath.

Squeeze the sides of the connector to release the locks...

... and unplug.

Gently pull on the bottom edge of the rubber donut...

... and remove.

Unclip the ends of the wire bale...

... and swing it out of the way.

Phillips H4  12342  12v  50/55w

I replaced both bulbs with Sylvania SilverStar Ultra 9003's, 55/60w (a bit brighter than the old ones) H4, about fifty bucks for the pair at Autozone...

Don't forget to put a dab of grease on each connection to keep voltage-robbing oxidation at bay.

Do not touch the glass part of halogen bulbs.  They get so blasted hot, that the oil from your fingers will cause the glass to crack.

Reverse these steps for reassembly.

I'll be damned.  They work!

rainycoastguy

A bit off topic, but where did you get your pillion backrest?  Or did you make it?  Thanks.

fano

Stretch

Quote from: "rainycoastguy"A bit off topic, but where did you get your pillion backrest?  Or did you make it?  Thanks.

I made it myself...  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,4172

rainycoastguy

Thanks.  do you mind if I copy?  It's a lovely bit of fabricating.

Stretch

Please, be my guest and improve on it.

Then post pics.   8)

ThreePutt

Thanks!  It looks like even I can do it.

I think you should "sticky" the repair stuff or make a wrenchin' section and put them all in one spot.
Tom

2006 Tiger
2009 BMW R1200 RT

HockleyBoy

Nice work Stretch, good write up and clear pics. I could have done with this before I tackled the job for the first time a few weeks ago.

+1 on the sticky idea.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

Stretch

Quote from: "ThreePutt"I think you should "sticky" the repair stuff or make a wrenchin' section and put them all in one spot.

Yep, we're working on that.

klingklang

I change those often to tried different bulb. Once, a friend asked me to change the ones on his V-strom. I really wished to be able to do it like his.  A 5 sec jobs,  plenty of access space without having nothing to dismentle.  A dream....  But still preffer my bike.  By the way, the best Bulb I Tried got was the Wagner Brite Light.

eldiii

Hey Strech, how about a "how to" on tank removal...and then maybe valve adjustment?

They are the last two major disassemblies I have not done and  your "how to"s greatly advance our Tiger knowledge base.

Your insite to Tiger maintance is great, thanks and keep'm coming.

btw, are you coming to the East Coast Tiger Ride-In?

S/F

Ed

eldiii

eldiii

Stretch

Thanks for the kind words.

My Tiger has 22,500 miles on it, which means I'm due for a major service and valve adjustment very shortly.  I will be taking pics and post a write-up sometime thereafter.

I won't be at the Ride-In, I'm afraid... we have a family reunion, followed by our traditional week at da beach.

Y'all have fun.   8)

Tigger_rider

Hi All   Thought I would throw in a little mod I did the last time I changed bulbs. I was tired of trying to adjust headlights with the plastic off so I removed the 2 adjusting screws from each light assembly and silver soldered a 7 inch section of a heavy duty drain snake flex from home depot onto the bolts and a 1/4" screwdriver bit onto the other end. A trip to the hardware store got me new quick nuts? (the push on washers you have to break to remove the bolts from the light assemblies). Now to adjust the lights when I load all the touring junk on back I just have to take a screwdriver to the ends of the cables that are just under the triple clamp. I put clear plastic tube over the flex so nothing would chafe. Works great and ends the adjusting hassle.   OLY

Stretch