News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Started by Stretch, May 19, 2008, 05:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

Balancing with Dynabeads...

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/

I like this product so much I bought a big bag and put them in my truck tires.

But for motorcycles, one ounce in the front, and two ounces in the rear is sufficient for our tire sizes.

The only hitch with these in Tigers is that they will not flow through 90˚-angled valve stems... you'll need to pour the Dynabeads into the tire before the tire is inflated and the beads are sealed.

For those skeptical of Dynabeads, there is a wealth of informative debate on ADVrider...  http://www.advrider.com/forums/search.p ... id=5739762

FullMonte

+1 on Dynabeads.  I've been using them on the DR650 with great results.  Like Stretch said, they won't "flow" into the Tiger valve stems. :x
I forgot to bring them to the last tire changing party and had to use weights again.

blacktiger

Quote from: "FullMonte"+1 on Dynabeads.  I've been using them on the DR650

So they work with tubes then?
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

Stretch

Yes, they work with innertubes.

sanjoh

Great timing on the thread.

Stretch are you sure on the one ounce in the front?

Innovative says 2 front 2 rear.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/char ... cycleChart
01 Tiger
00 XR650R
84 VF1K
05 R6

Stretch

Quote80 - 120 mm tire width  ---  1 oz

Tigers run 110's.

littlefield

Snake oil. I've never seen a decent explanation on how the right amount of beads migrates to the light side of the tire.

paulie

Quote from: "littlefield"Snake oil. I've never seen a decent explanation on how the right amount of beads migrates to the light side of the tire.

it's physics :)

check it out: http://www.innovativebalancing.com/news.htm

At the bottom there's a "How it Works" link
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

Jomama

I used them this weekend on my front tire change out.  

I had some odd oscillations on the old tire that came with it.  While driving at highway speeds, it tended to oscillate back an forth ever so slightly.
Don't know if it was from the cupping along each side, or a poor balance.  New tire could certainly be the solution.  

However the dynabeads where incredibly easy, an I love the DIY nature of it, nice not having to hassle with a shop ...   The ride today is infinitely more smooth..
1996 Tiger
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Dbl Cab Longbed SR5
**sold** /cry...  1993 FZJ80 Toyota Land Cruiser

littlefield

Quoted from the Dynabead technical explanation:

So we have our whole wheel and tire rotating around a spot that is slightly off the axle centre, and the part that is farthest away from the new axis of rotation  is on the opposite side from the overweight sector.  But this is precisely where the beads will roll...  to the spot farthest from the axis of rotation.

Anything sound funny about that? Like the farthest away from the axis of rotation is the lightest? Actually this is true if the wheel/spring system has passed through it's first natural frequency. At a frequency lower than that the heavy spot is farthest from the axis of rotation, as is intuitive. As it turns out, for a 30 lb wheel and  2 x .85 kg/mm springs this frequency corresponds to about 30 mph. So the physics makes sense.

Still think I'll stick to the static balancer.

FullMonte

I'm not a physicist.  All I know is the Dynabeads work.  Bumble bees should not be able to fly given their weight and the size of their wings... but they can fly.  Sometimes events take place which can't be explained in a textbook.

Tigercat

Yup, the beads won't go through the 90 degree valve stem on my '06, even using a vibrating engraving tool didn't help.  I pulled the rear wheel off and broke the bead on one side.  Then used the plastic bottle and hose supplied with the motorcycle kit to squirt the beads in at the top while squeezing the tire bead away from the wheel.  Worked great and didn't have to lever the tire off the wheel.  The ride is noticable smoother - I'm sold on this method of balaning tires.

Cheers, 8)

Sasquatch

As a gearhead, and an engineer, they work.

I have one wheel on the front of my Porsche that is slightly out of round from a pothole incident.  It vibrates pretty bad at anything above 60mph.  No amount of balancing has ever corrected it.  For giggles, I dumped in some of the beads.

Vibration dropped by a good 70%.  It was such a dramatic change I became a believer.  I never noticed it much in my motorcycle tires because I am so anal about getting my balance perfect, but in the cars, wow, big difference.

Stretch

Stolen from a similar thread on ADVrider...

Here's how they work:

Stretch

Those who are still not convinced should also watch this one...