News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

test rides

Started by bandit, April 04, 2004, 02:14:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit

i signed up to test ride the new 1200gs at the bmw open house in two weeks intending to consider the 1150 vs. the 1200 ....but wandered into a triumph dealer today and was impressed by the tiger.  I was wondering what you think would be a good test ride to highlight the differences in these three bikes for me, given that most of my riding is street with just a little fire road mixed in.  

Also, will the tiger handle differently on street riding with the frame lowered at the triple cranks up front and that four holed gizmo in the rear?

thanks, hope to purchase a new or used second bike very soon and i appreciate your advice.

Brock

Repeat after me..."I will buy a Tigger. I will buy a Tigger..."

We've all been there mate. Tried it, came away unimpressed, tried a Tigger, bought one. If you really think the new beemer is worth the £3,000 extra (UK pounds of course...dunno what the difference is in the 'States) then buy one. It's a personal choice.

For a limey...what's a fire road? some kind of forestry track?
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

bandit

yes, the new 1200gs will be about five grand US dollars more than the tiger .... i'm looking at a black one with white stripes from a reputable dealer.  Fire roads are basically packed dirt roads that wind up to hills, etc..

what do you think about lowering the tiger for those of us under 5'11" who don't look forward to the inevitable first drop of the bike?  Has anyone done this and has it affected street handling?

Thanks

Brock

Ah...Black...now you're my personal friend.

I don't think the new model is available in black so you'll be looking at one of the later spoked ones...nice. Just like mine.

I'm only 5'10" and can get the front pads of both feet on the deck, easy.

Repeat after me. "I will not drop my Tigger...I will not drop my Tigger..."

If you're really worried, you can of course lower the back by rotating the rear axle bearing cams to give you an extra inch or so. S'pose you can drop the front by sliding the yokes down the tubes. Good luck.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Quote from: "bandit"what do you think about lowering the tiger for those of us under 5'11" who don't look forward to the inevitable first drop of the bike?  Has anyone done this and has it affected street handling?

Thanks

A friend of mine has done it. The pegs hit the deck a bit earlier but apart from that, no dfference at all.

You will have to cut the side stand.

bandit

I had an opportunity to test drive the 1150-gs and the 1200-gs today ....as a prelude to trying the black tiger next week.  I found the 1200 to be vastly more civil than the 1150 ...better riding position (more upright), much more usable power and effortless to accelerate to speed and to take into the corners (remember though i'm a newbie and cautios at that).  The wind screen on the 1200 was very effective (i'm 5'10").

I am very much looking forward to the tiger next weekend.  I believe it has a greater presence than the bmw and at two thirds the price including bags it is clearly a relative bargain.  i hope it's great fun!!

Bandit

tigerfan

Hi Bandit, I am in a very similar position.  Have been looking at the BMW's (rt, gs adv adn the new gs12) and then I wandered into a Truimph shop yesterday and road the Tiger.  Ended up putting a deposit down.  Of course, today I am trying to find out if this bike is as good as it seemed.  What have you found out, how did you test ride go?