News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Friday run to Wales

Started by Robbie, April 05, 2004, 05:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robbie

Here is my first ride report hope you like it not quite up to the white rim ride of Tiger Jay’s.

I took the Tiger to the Elan valley on Friday to visit some places I knew and to explore some new places. The Elan valley is situated in mid Wales, the valley has four reservoirs and dams that feed water to the UK’s second city Birmingham. I have not been there for a few years and last went there on my 1200 Daytona. I had taken a photograph of the bike and liked it so much that I had it enlarged and hung over my mantle piece. With a free day and needing to clear my head I thought of taking some good photos of the Tiger in the same place so I packed the SLR and digy cameras and headed off. The weather forecast was for cool temperatures and showers ideal for testing my new Gerbling’s and the duel controller.

At the eastern end of the valley there is a visitors centre with caf» and displays of how the dams were built.
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

Robbie

Normally the dams have the overspill running down but today they where dry, may be we have had a dry winter! Look out Birmingham hosepipe bans in summer.

The road forks to the left over a bridge to the Claerwen reservoir, which is a dead end and has very little traffic. I had never been there so off I went for an explore.

At the base of the dam I met these idiots or hero’s on an off road day. They gesticulated and called to me to follow them across the river, I gesticulated back showing that I was capable of firing an English long bow and they went on there way.

Robbie

Along side the lake there is a works road to a small quarry about 6 miles of crushed rock and gravel. It looked like a perfect tiger road. About half a mile in I met a work gang who were filling in the winter potholes with stones, unfortunately they where just piling them into the holes leaving small pyramids of oil cooler killer size stones to be levelled off by the heavy plant. After a few loud dings of the bash plate I was having second thoughts about doing the total length of the road so pulled up by a small bridge and had lunch.

Robbie

A guy in a massive dump truck came along the road and stopped for a chat. He had a Suzuki bandit and loved the Tiger. After chatting about the GPS and the boxes he told me that the road improved after a rough climb around the next bend, when he left I looked at the large black clouds and decided that may be I would come back and do the whole road some other time.

Back on the tarmac I was very surprised at the lightness of the traffic, there wasn’t any at all. This lead to a very enjoyable thrash all the way to Devils Bridge I was having so much fun that I didn’t stop to take any pictures and the black clouds stayed away.

After a Welsh cream tea at the caf» in Devils Bridge I asked, should I go home along the A roads or go back the way I came and take the photos of the tiger that I came all this way for? The ride back down the valley was just as good. But when I arrived at the disused quarry the light was fading and a few drops of rain could be felt. So we will have to wait for the prints to see the results, the digy ones are not too bad.

Anyway I had a successful day. Visited old places and found new ones. I will be back to explore more. Why has it taken me so long to re visit? I can recommend the Elan valley for a day out, take the Tiger, some friends and a packed lunch and don’t forget the camera.

BigDave

Are you kidding?  Thats a great report & pics.  Nice job.  You sure have a unique looking tigger for sure...

You wern't in the mood for that water crossing huh?  Don't blame you on that one.  :wink:

GatorTiger

Nice report!!! What brand GPS is that on your dash?
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

Robbie

Quote from: "GatorTiger"Nice report!!! What brand GPS is that on your dash?

Garmin SPIII / Touratech locking mount and home made bracket

TigerTim

Nice report and piccies Robbie.

Elans's about 70 miles from me, and I ride out that way at least once a month, every month.

It's always interesting to see the number of people who take pictures of their bike with the Devils horse (me included). Even helped one guy pick up his Ducati after he caught a snap of it falling over  :cry:  

Maybe catch up with you in the Elan Valley some day.

Regards

Tim
I\'m not a complete idiot, some parts are missing

tommy

Hi!

I like your bracket! Well done!

I`m searching for a possibility to fix also a touratech holder with my 2610

think i will follow your idea  :wink:

greets from germany

tommy (with bad english  :roll:  )