News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Man & Tiger Limits Exceeded: Dual-Sporting in Bandelier

Started by ridin gaijin, July 06, 2008, 07:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ridin gaijin

I'm sorry, but I find advrider's cp easier to post and format pics to. So here's the report on a ride gone bad! With cheap cell phone pics too!

Link

The Tiger is really a trooper. I'm not suggesting people go out and do what I did; but if you're not going off the pavements at least some, then you're not using the thing right.
2005 Tiger in Lucifurry Orange. Always something new it seems...

Mustang

Quote from: "ridin gaijin"I'm sorry, but I find advrider's cp easier to post and format pics to. So here's the report on a ride gone bad! With cheap cell phone pics too!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359820Link

The Tiger is really a trooper. I'm not suggesting people go out and do what I did; but if you're not going off the pavements at least some, then you're not using the thing right.
dude pm me  your address and I will send you an old olympus digital cam that will take better photos than your cell phone , I'll even throw in the cord and software .
you'll have to tape the battery door shut but WTF it's FREE

wvmike

Your linky wasn't pulling up,so here it is

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359820

What a real adventure !!! Luckly one with a good out come. I often ride the back country solo,and must admit it is not the smartest thing to do.Sounds like your in shape and was more of a frustration than an emergency situation  :shock: One question. Did ya air down when you saw the road deteriorating? I'm usually so far in and not wanting to stop that I cause my own problems  :BangHead
Glad all turned out well.Definately a true adventure  :headbang
You can\'t shake hands with a fist
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S
what could possibly go wrong?

HockleyBoy

Good report, glad to hear you and the Tiger came away ok.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

ridin gaijin

Mustang, thanks so much! I do have a clunky little digital cam that I just didn't bring for reasons of space/weight on the hike. I really appreciate it, though.

wvmike--I didn't. I guess I could've though. It's about 1.5 hrs of high-speed road travel to get to the off-road parts. But I could've aired back up at a gas station in Los Alamos. However, there are a few miles of twisties and hairpins to get there. Hmmm. Food for thought.

--Also, thanks, I found my typo and fixed the link.

The cool thing is how well the Tiger DID do. And I went over it just now while washing it up...

The Ma's crash bars are deeply scratched and will want priming before I paint. And somehow the wires to the horn got severed (?!?). Other than that--and the new scratches right on the stripes as well as the hard cases--it looks just fine.

Those hard cases offer pretty good protection to the rider.

ridin gaijin

Update. About half an hour after I wrote that last post, some shithead hauled into the parking lot, smashed the Tiger to the ground and then took off.

An alert lady sitting outside got the license plate number and the cops are on it right now.

And another fuel spill too. I better check that coupling.

Mirror mount is busted, crash bar really messed up now, hand grip and guard chewed up, mirror broken, clear fairing badly scraped up, footpeg mount wrenched loose. {sigh}

wvmike

Damn  :shock: When it rains it pours. Well,hopefully the asshat has insurance and ALL will be fixed now
You can\'t shake hands with a fist
01 tiger 955i
05 klr
08 KTM 990 S
what could possibly go wrong?

Mustang

what a low life , everyone screws up now and then , but  when you can't man up and face the music well that's just pathetic . I hope they charge him for leaving the scene etc etc .

paulie

yikes! gaijin, i'm sending good vibes your way my man. i'm glad your body and well being survived all this.

i agree with mike, in that hopefully insurance is involved so then everything from the offroading tipovers gets fixed too, and that the guy is a total asshat! :evil:   :evil:  :evil:

no matter how bad it gets, just remember that there are good people in the world, as shown by the lady who snagged the plate # :)

all the best from WI!

btw, i'm sad to say though, that all this is a testament to the Ma's bars.. Seems like they held up quite nicely despite the rash.
Current Bike: 2005 Tiger in Silver.
Former Bike (also my first): 1980 KZ650

aeronca

WOW, great report. i ride alone alot, but have been lucky so far. it's nice to know there's some good people left out there willing to help(the rv camper's). shame about the bike - did they find the driver yet?
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

HappyMan

Gajin!!  Will you ever get a break?  That totally sucks.  Lets hope all the bad luck is used up and it's coasting down hill from here.  I'm so sorry to hear about all of this.
Life is hard.  It\'s even harder if you\'re stupid. - John Wayne

Life\'s too short......Let\'s ride! - HappyMan

http://ridedualsport.com

Mudhen

Awesome ride report man!  Loved it and glad you made it out ok.  I want to ride with you man...other than all that crazy walking stuff it sounded perfect.

Not sure which guy pisses me off more...the one that hit your bike or the dickhead on advrider that said you should have been on a DR...(actually it sort of looks like he was just ribbing you, so I won't release the hounds just yet).  :wink:
\'96 Steamer

HappyMan

There's no challenge in riding the DR through that.  When I take my Tigger through the stuff that raises the pucker factor it feels great.  When I ride my DR through it I feel like I should tie one hand behind my back or something to make it more exciting.  :D

ridin gaijin

The cops did trace the plate and the vehicle matches the witness's description, so that's good! I need to call them later today and try to find out if they got him/her. The officer who took the report said they'd definitely charge the driver with leaving the scene, so Yay!

A good friend here knows a Native American priestess and has offered to hook me up with an exorcism before I leave for VA. I say...awesome! At this point, what can it hurt? Native American medicine men/women believe that some kinds of illness and bad luck are caused by specific spirits, and these can be found and banished or appeased.

paulie--right on! Out there, you really do find more good folks than bad. It's one of the things people like about living in small communities rather than big cities, and I can't say I disagree.

And you're dead on about the Ma's. At this point I'd totally recommend them. Price, function and durability.

Mudhen...yeah, of course I should've been on a DR. I mean, duh, right? But then the 1.5 hour ride to the forest wouldn't have been quite so smooth...I really should've done a better job of checking the trail up 142 before I went up. Lesson learned.

Soon we'll be on the same coast. Then maybe we have a chance of having an adventure together!--One that we could, like, plan or think about before just setting off into the bomb threats.

HappyMan

Keep us posted Gajin.