News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Scottish National Rally 2008.

Started by Anonymous, September 20, 2008, 01:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blacktiger

Having done the "Welsh National Rally" with my mate Phil Barnard earlier in the year, I decided to book up (£9) for the "Scottish" this year as well, on  September 13th. The way my rest days at work fell I only had to book two days annual leave to get a whole week off, Wednesday 10th to Tuesday 16th. Perfick.
      So, at 07:00 on Wednesday morning, I set off up the M11 and A1 to SCOTCH CORNER. Jean Michel Jarre's "Equinox" randomly selected on the music player as the sun rose over the horizon, set the tone for the ride. Perfect. From SCOTCH CORNER my route went up the east side of the PENNINES from BARNARD CASTLE to HEXHAM and then across KIELDER FOREST to my first night at the FOX & HOUNDS in DENHOLM. Just north east of HAWICK. Arrived at 15:30, earlier than expected and had to phone the pub in order to gain entry. The Wylam, Gold Tankard was very good.
      Denholm was Steve Hislop's home town. His mother still lives there. It was from here, after visiting his mother that he took off on his fateful journey. The Fox & Hounds was his "local" and has a nice picture on the wall of Hizzy riding the #19 Norton on "The Island".
      Next morning,Thursday,  after a nice fry-up I set off past GALLASHIELS and north up the A7 towards EDINBURGH. As I was enjoying the bends on the A7, I thought that this could be where Hizzy cut his teeth on the roads. Through the FORTH ESTUARY conurbation I took the A720 & M9 to take me towards the TROSSACHS. The A84 and A85 take me to where the rally was to finish, the SUIES LODGE near CRIANLARICH. 10 miles before the lodge, the heavens opened and I got absolutely drowned. So I called in to the lodge for a coffee and to see if they had any rooms left. Dripping nicely over the floor, I was informed that they'd had a cancellation due to someone being called to jury service. So, I had an en-suite room at the finish. At this point the decision was made to do the "Distance" award all in one hit because now, it didn't matter what time I finished, I had a nice double bed to fall into.
      Onwards and upwards with a bit of sightseeing in GLEN COE and the east side of LOCH NESS, the A9 took me to BRORA where I had pre-booked two nights in the CAMRA GOOD BEER GUIDE listed SUTHERLAND ARMS HOTEL. One hand pump and NO BEER on it! "We had a party in and sold out" I was told. HELL! Keg or Guinness. HELL! Tomorrow I was told, there would be CAIRNGORM, TRADE WINDS. Hmmm.
      Friday dawned bright(ish) and a day trip to the north coast is planned. This was to be a trial run to see how fast these roads could be ridden. Most of the "A" roads up here are single track with passing places. So I reset the Zumo trip meters and set off at pace. A9, A839, A837, A838 all the way to TONGUE and I was averaging over 50mph. A836 to DUNNET HEAD, the northern most point on mainland Britain. Nothing there really but I had to have something to aim for. Retrace to the A897, B871, B873, A836 & A9 take me back to the hotel. A moving average of 51mph and overall average of 45mph means that I should be able to complete the rally in around 13&1/2 hours with stops at the "receipt" points.
       That evening the beer was on and a steak was called for. So, with good banter in the bar with people I'd never met and all there doing different things we enjoyed far too much beer and food. One bloke had recently retired and was nearing the end of a LANDS END to JOHN O'GRAOTS ride......on a push bike. Always wanted to do it, he says. Power to yer elbow mate.

So, the SCOTTISH NATIONAL RALLY.
About two months before the start you're sent the details and your route planning can begin. The rally consists of several awards involving going to "receipt points" dotted all over Scotland where you have to buy something and get a receipt to prove you were there. These points are drawn on a guide map, linked with lines with distances marked. You have to ride the lines and do a route that adds up to your required distance, not going through the same point twice. Each point visited also counts as 5 miles towards the total. I chose to do the "Distance" award which meant that I had to ride a nominal 650 miles.  And you're not allowed to start before 10:00. Clear? Thought not!

After a sleepless night and another fry-up. Well, you've got to have it eh? At 10:00 I start at the SUTHERLAND ARMS GARAGE  in BRORA by filling my fuel tank. 10:04 and I'm off. 30mph through BRORA seems far too slow. Onto the A9 and I nail it. Taking no prisoners. The route I took is posted in the route section. It all goes in a blur really but the expected arse ache never materialises because you have to stop at the receipt points, on average, every 40 minutes.  The Highland roads are mostly clear of traffic and dry. Later, south of the Forth some roads were damp but I managed to miss the rain and my Avon tyres were superb. The last wiggly road was the A70 from J12 on the M74 to Auchinleck and was damp and it was getting dark and half light. Fortunately, the sky over the sea was clear and bright which reflected on the damp road lighting it up like it was daylight.  My final receipt point was at HELENSBOROUGH but it didn't exist! It was supposed to be the "CONSORT  FILLING STATION".  I asked in an ESSO on the same road and they confirmed that it was that derelict site across the road. Oh well, I fill up at the ESSO instead and get my final receipt at 21:40. So now it's 41 miles in the dark on wet roads to the SUIES LODGE finish.  It had really chucked it down earlier and the roads were sopping wet and the trees still dripping so I took it relatively easy. I arrived at the lodge at 22:25 with 626 miles on the Zumo trip. A moving average speed of 60.6mph and an overall average speed of 51.0mph. Mission accomplished.  A few well earned  beers and I collapsed into bed to have the best nights kip for days.

My route home took me along the B6355 across the LAMMERMUIR HILLS 9really nice road) to the  south bound A1 north of BERWICK-UPON-TWEED which is the most northern road in England. Another tick. Then to stay overnight with some CAMRA friends near DUNS.
        From there I head SW across to Buxton to ride the infamous CAT & FIDDLE pass. Don't know what all the fuss is about really. Yes, it's twisty but the tarmac is patchy and bumpy. A bit like those A roads in north Scotland. Then down to LUDLOW and cross country following the reverse of a good route that Phil & I took to Wales. Home at 17:00 on Tuesday.

Would I do it again? Never say never but I would have to see if the receipt points change year to year. If so it may be worth it. If not, it would be a case of "been there done that".
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.