News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How many miles is too many?

Started by daddystarr, May 01, 2004, 07:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daddystarr

As I look at used Tigers, at what point should I begin to discount them based on milage.

If I were buying a BMW R bike, I'd place that number around 60K or so. How about the Triumph triple?

I understand that there are a host of factors to used bikes, but I am just trying to gauge the longetivity of the tigers.
http://elegantcode.com

01 Tigger

77 XT500

94 GSPD (Sold)

Chris Canning

Hmmm well as you've already said your question really is open ended,i also own an R1100s BM and i certainley wouldn't go 60K, that is for certain,i've know of plenty of guys with nowhere near that mileage that have loads trouble,particularly with drive shafts etc.

Just to complicate things further,without doubt the 955 is the best engine so far,and yet you will find on another forum a guy who's big ends have gone with 19,000 on the clock.

Personally i'd never buy a second hand bike with more than 10,000 miles,sure someone can ruin one in less time than that,but once your into the 20-30000 i'd be more interested in seeing the owners garage and his technical know how ,more than anything else.

When i bought my 955 new in May 2001 the dealer was very busy,so i did the 600 mile oil change,i had it serviced at 6000 and it's booked in for a 12000 next month although it's nearly done 15000 ,but between these service intervals,I must have changed the oil at least 4 times,but i can't prove it,and that whats makes buying a secondhand high mileage bike so difficult.

Chris

Brock

Chris is spot on...it's not the mileage that matters but the way the bike's been maintained. Most modern engines will do the kind of mileage you mention with very few problems, but throw in some shoddy maintenance and crap oil and you're looking at a potential nightmare. My ideal Tiger to buy would be a recent one...2001 onwards. Mileage no more than 5-10,000, owned by a fastidious perfectionist with a more than basic engineering knowledge (someone who can at least change the oil and filter). Also preferably someone who doesn't ride much in the winter. Avoid big mileages and bikes with more than 1 or 2 (max) owners. Having just got back from a "brisk", "spirited" ride with a mate on a Fazer 1000 I can honestly say (once again) there is NO finer real world bike than the Tiger. Get one now.
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

I have to disagree with the above.

The most important things are service history and condition. If a bike has a high mileage and has been dealer serviced according to the schedule and still looks good there should be no reason not to buy it.

I think too many people are worried needlessly about mileages over 10000 miles. For gods sake, I don't buy a car unless it's done 60K. Just run in and all the niggles sorted.

Also remember ; quick miles are good miles.

Sometimes it's better to buy a year old bike with 15000 miles than to buy a year old bike with 1500 miles on it. The 1500 mile bike has either been sitting around covered in condensation or has been used for short runs during which it never warmed up properly.

Thinking cars again. Which would you rather have :- a OAPs car that comes out once a month and never gets above 30mph OR a reps car that sits on a motorway at 80mph and does 150 miles a day and is fully serviced regardless of costs.

Whatever, the price should reflect the age, the mileage, the condition and the service history.

I think the Triumph engine is as good as any out there and you shouldn't worry too much so long as you think you're getting a good deal.

trotts

:D  The first Tiger I bought was that smashing yellow 885, a 99 on a 'T' plate.  It was advertised in the Midlands with a then well known trumpet dealer.  It was two months old and had done 6K miles.  The price reflected this, but it looked  pristine.  I did the necessary checks and rang Triumph who confirmed it was a 'fleet' bike that had been used by the media all over europe, but all parts had been replaced, such as chain sprockets etc.  Chopped in my old sprint.  Was I chuffed with that bike.  It had a really sweet engine and the hard miles put on perhaps helped.

Only thing was a few weeks later I saw MY bike in a road test report while standing in WH Smiths !    Where was it ?  Being ridden in the sea at Newquay !  Sea water and metal ??? :(    After seeing that it was never the same for me So it went and traded it in for another Tiger, actually got £200 more than I paid for it !! :D
Dave T

daddystarr

OK, now THAT was funny.

What are the odds?  :P
http://elegantcode.com

01 Tigger

77 XT500

94 GSPD (Sold)

Brock

I believe we have opened what they call a can of worms.
Chris

BR

Interesting discussion.  Bought my '98 BRG tiger last summer here in the SF Bay area.  Had looked at a few other tigers here locally some some had modest (15K) miles on them for reasonable asking price and some had very little miles (<2k) but out of my price range.  The Tiger I bought had almost 30K miles on it but it had been exclusively maintained at the local dealer and was in excellent condition.  Orig owner was upfront and honest about everything and had the receipts to back it up.  A test ride clinched the deal and I've got no complaints!  The engine does not consume or leak any oil and I don't expect that to change for many more miles.

Brendan

San Jose, CA

Brock

Here in blighty there are some "dodgy" dealers that we've probably all come across. I'd still be suspicious of a bike with several previous owners and a "service record" from one of those dealers. But then that's just me...
Chris