News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Any more peg scrapers out there?

Started by Brock, May 03, 2004, 10:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brock

A well respected user of this site reckons he's scraped his pegs on Metzeler Tourances. IN THE WET, TOO.

Anyone else out there who can achieve this kind of barking mad lean angle? I don't mind admitting I haven't (not on a Tiger anyway).

I'd be very interested to know...
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

Isn't shell grip wonderful stuff!

tigerowner_ut

Never have come close on my tiger and do not plan to.
Cheers,

David

99 Yellow Tiger: Triumph Exhaust, Heated Grips, Cee Bailey +6 Windscreen, Rick Mayer Saddle, Metzler Tourance Tires, Happy-Trail Panniers.

03 WR450 (lots of mods)

86 TT350 (the tank....Gone)

NortonCharlie

I finally bumped my lean indicators last fall on our leaf ride on Wisconsin twisties.  I never bumped them hard enough to feel it but I could feel the scuff marks on them when I stopped.  Roads were dry and clear.  I was going pretty fast but don't think I was on the edge.  The only times I have noticably slid the TOurance tires was when hitting something loose or getting a little walk out of the rear powering out of a corner.  I am probably overly cautious in the wet and havn't tested the limits.  

I'd really like to find the edge on my tires and Tiger but I don't want to take a big step over it.  That gets painfull and expensive.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Howlin

I have never scraped the pegs,but have rode the rear tire to the very edge.I don't think I want to find out the fine line between scraping
the pegs,and past the line of being in the weeds! That is on roads of good surface and warm temps.
I ride with caution on wet roads,not as fast,but with caution.
Once put a ZX11 into the weeds after lifting the bike off the right peg.....not fun.

Brock

I've been casting my good eye down the length of my Tiger from behind, guessing at the kind of angle necessary to scrape the pegs on the ground.

With or without Shellgrip and/or a lowered bike it's still a frightening prospect. Like the rest of you I've got no virgin rubber at the edge of my back tyre.

I think my flippin' elbow would be on the deck before the peg...

Come on...anyone else done it?
Chris

Robbie

Scraping the pegs is possible and I have done it several times solo. It always happens when you are loaded up and the back end is lower. I tend to ride duck footed and feel the road with my toes and it always surprises me just how much lean angle is left after your toes touch before the pegs start to rise. There is a local roundabout with that grippey surface that I touch nearly every time on the right but only managed to get the left to ground once on the exit. ( I must try harder) I managed to touch the rear passenger peg down once on the Sifflejock (spelling?) in Italy but the bike was going backwards at the time and I had to pick it up off the floor after!! So it is not big and it is not clever but can be fun.
Robbie and Mohan the original silver Tiger

Brock

Respect...definitely respect!
Chris

Quote from: "Robbie"I managed to touch the rear passenger peg down once on the Sifflejock (spelling?) in Italy

Otherwise known as the "Stevio". Has 26 hairpins or some equally stupendous number. When I rode it about 22 years ago, the road surface was not conducive to scrapping the pegs. Some of the bends were cobbled!! Is that why you lost it Robbie?

Robbie

No it was one of them very stupid things. Coming up to turn 15 on the north east side (RH) there was a group of cars coming down, I started my turn just as the first car in the line pulled up and stopped, (to let me turn) the second car pulled out to pass blocking the road, (little old lady driving did not see me!) so I had to stop with the front wheel high on a really bad camber, to get my foot down I had to slide myself off the bike which accidentally knocked it into neutral. This left me balancing on my right foot with the front end locked and sliding backwards with no way of adding power or applying the rear brake, after several hops gravity took over and she went down in 'slow mo' backwards. Susie tumbled off and I placed the bike down as genital as I could but this took out the rear peg. No other damage, not even a scuff, I didn't even notice the rear peg had broken until Susie climbed on and told me

I think that there are over 30 numbered hairpins on the steeper northeast side and 20 odd on the southwest. The southwest is the photo that has been in MCN the past few weeks advertising their ferry deals. The road has improved a lot, only one cobbled turn low on the north side but still a lot of gravel and debris from the thaw if you go early.

A cracking road that everybody on a bike must do in their life, but a bit to popular in the height of summer.

Quote from: "Robbie"I placed the bike down as genital as I could .

I hope you mean "gentle". Or did you land on your bollocks?

Robbie

Quote from: "Blacktiger"
Quote from: "Robbie"I placed the bike down as genital as I could .

I hope you mean "gentle". Or did you land on your bollocks?

I think that was a Freudian slip!

Must have had something else on my mind.

after holding the dam thing up on one leg it felt like it might well have landed there