News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Removing Your Airbox

Started by Stretch, October 13, 2008, 03:28:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

Temporary removal of the airbox is necessary for engine valve check / adjustment and throttle body synchronizing.

First, remove the tank, described in detail here:  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5142

Remove the two T-30 attaching bolts from the bracket near the fuel rail.

Unplug the Barometric Pressure Sensor's hose...

Squeeze the wire bale on the Inlet Air Temperature Sensor connector, then unplug the connector.

Squeeze thusly...

Note that the brown connector with the short wire is not the wire for the Inlet Air Temperature Sensor.  Rumor Control has it as being a connector for Euro and California emissions controls.

Lift up on the airbox to disconnect it from the throttle bodies.  The rubber connectors are a spring-loaded slip-fit over the throttle bodies.

Slip the hose clamp down from the breather tube connection, and disconnect the breather tube.

Lift the airbox the rest of the way off, gently wresting it out from between the frame spars.

Nekkid.

I covered the intakes with plastic bags (secured with rubber bands) to prevent the entry of dirt and other nasties.

For reassembly, take care that the hooks under the front of the airbox are securely under the rubber-coated bracket mounted on the cam cover.

NortonCharlie

That clip on the connector in the 3rd photo doesn't need to be removed.  You simply push the wire all way toward the plug and it releases it.
01 Dew Green 955i Tiger

02 Sprint RS

74 Norton 850 Commando

Stretch

Too funny.  For years, I've been pulling the bales off similar plugs.

Always looking for the hard way, I guess. :roll:

:mrgreen:

I fixed it, thanks.

Bruincounselor

Quote from: "Stretch"Temporary removal of the airbox is necessary for engine valve check / adjustment and throttle body synchronizing.

First, remove the tank, described in detail here:  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,5142

Remove the two T-30 attaching bolts from the bracket near the fuel rail.

For reassembly, ...

Also make damn sure you don't lose the rubber gasket between the air box and idle motor. I know of a bike that lost that part and the engine was toast a few thousand miles later due to lack of filtered intake....

The guy who bought it put in new sleeves and rings and he's still riding it.
Bruin\'

Chris Canning

While your at it, dremmel the blanking plate out thats in the airbox combined with a K+N and open pipe makes a nice difference.

Stretch

You really don't want to get me started on my 'K&N air filters' tirade.  I believe I already subjected everyone to that in the 'How To Change Your Air Filter' thread.

Suffice to say, I take my Tiger offroad, so I use factory paper air filters for maximum filtration.