News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Tiger Faults and Weaknesses

Started by Stretch, September 14, 2008, 06:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stretch

1999-2006 TIGER FAULTS AND WEAKNESSES

Unlike the kool-aid drinkers of other brands, I am fully willing to post the problems inherent to my favorite bike.  Every single model of motorcycle ever made has had its idiosyncrasies.  To deny that is foolishness.  I am not a salesman trying to get a sales commission by talking people into buying a Tiger, nor am I suffering from low self-esteem, wanting others to stroke my ego by buying the same bike I did.

'99-'06 Tigers (Girlies) are as popular now as when they were still in production, and many people come to these forums to learn about these bikes, as they hash out the Goods-and-Bads of various bikes on their wish list.  I believe in being honest and forthright with folks, so when somebody breezes in here wanting to know 'What can go wrong with a Girly Tiger?', they will be able to rationally weigh these points against the points of other bikes and make an educated decision once they're ready to buy.

The fact that hardly any of these possible problems are actually encountered by the typical Tiger owner speaks volumes about the sound design and inherent reliability of the bike...

Fuel gauges may be inaccurate and have been known to malfunction altogether, due to quirky sending units.  The newer replacement sending units are better than the older ones.

1999-2003 Tigers came from the factory with all-plastic fuel line fittings at the tank, and are known to split, causing gasoline leaks.  This was the subject of a factory recall in 2003.  2004 models have improved (partially metal) fittings.  All-metal fittings can be had from TeamTriumph... http://www.triumph1.com/tiger.htm .  These items are not needed for (and will not fit) 2005-06 models, as they have a slightly different fuel system.

Gauge illumination is poor in twilight conditions due to white gauge faces and green illumination.  Full daylight or full darkness is just fine.

Speedometer sending units can sometimes fail due to lack of maintenance (cleaning and lubrication).  If you clean and lubricate the unit when the front wheel is off for tire changes etc., chances are slim you'll ever have trouble with it.

The factory centerstands can bend, and the bolts are subject to loosening.  SW-Motech makes a better one (large-diameter pins instead of pivot bolts), and it's cheaper.

The plastic tanks don't fare well in a fall.  Crash bars are a must with this bike.

Wind buffeting can be bad at high speeds, depending on the windshield used, and the height of the rider.  There is no magic windshield for all people.

The suspension is kind of soft for serious sport riding.  But it's great for rough roads.  If you want taut suspension, the parts are available.

The charging systems can be kind of weak in older models.  Improvements can be made using larger wires and fuses...  http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,26488

Factory radiator caps can weaken over time, allowing the bike to puke coolant even at normal operating temperatures.  For about 7 dollars, a part-store replacement for a '88-'91 Honda Civic is a direct fit.

Some models came from the factory with the coolant overflow hoses reversed.  Most bikes have had this repaired by now.  Also, the small plastic elbows these tubes fit onto have been known to crack, allowing the bike to lose coolant.  Brass elbows can be substituted, available at hardware and home-improvement stores for a couple dollars each.

2005 - 2006 models experience a 'clonking' sound in the forks when hitting bumps.  It's merely annoying and doesn't hurt anything, and Triumph has told folks it's merely a type of valve used in forks of those model years.  

Some factory front brake rotors were not heat-treated correctly and are susceptable to warping.  It's a warranty item if your bike's new enough.  EBC replacement rotors are available if you don't want the Triumph parts.

1999 and 2000 models (885 engine) must never be allowed to run with the bike laying on its side.  Doing so pumps oil into the airbox.  Once the bike is upright and is started, that oil is drawn into the cylinders, cracking pistons and bending connecting rods if too much builds up.  If the bike is run for a few seconds on its side, the spark plugs should be removed and the starter spun for several seconds to pump the oil out of the cylinders.

Some owners have experienced charging system failures due to the alternator stator or regulator / rectifier burning out.  Replacement Triumph parts are available, however equivalent stators can be found in the Honda VFR-750 and Kawasaki ZX12R.  Aftermarket stators and regulator / rectifiers are available from ElectroSport and Rick's Motorsport Electrics.

There have been a few cases of defective head gaskets, allowing coolant to leak to the exterior of the engine case.  This usually occurs in cold weather, when the cases and head contract, allowing coolant to seep out.  When the engine warms up, and in warmer weather, the gasket seals well enough to stop the seeping.  It's mostly just a cosmetic issue, as the coolant doesn't enter the cylinders, but many owners wind up getting it replaced because it isn't right.

In 27,000 miles, my Tiger experienced a warped front rotor (replaced under warranty) and a charging system failure.  

If my Tiger were destroyed or stolen tomorrow, I would go right out and buy another.

Flyguy

Thanks for this info.  I do not own a Tiger yet.  I am looking at either a Girly or a BMW 1150 GS.  I would be interested in knowing just how often these problems occur.  After spending time on this site as well as on some BMW sites, I am tempted to go by a Honda!  So, what are the odds with a low mileage, clean bike?

Thanks

2004Tiger

You should expect to have all of the above faults, as they are built in to the design but easy to remedy. Except the last two (charging system and head gasket) and the brake rotors, these come with the luck of the draw.

Edit: I agree with NKL, below. I sold my 1150GS because of the constant repairs required. In contrast, my Tiger requires next to nothing.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

NKL

Don't be fooled into thinking a Honda will be better, they have their fair share of camchain tensioner, reg/rec problems headlight bulb holders that melt. All bikes will generally have a problem in their lifetime the bike to avoid is the one that has lots of problems built in, and the Tiger isn't one of those. There are plenty of high mileage tigers on here that have had nothing but servicing and worn out parts replaced as you would expect.
My 2005 has now done 22k miles without fault.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

HockleyBoy

Just check it has been serviced and you should be alright, my 05 is used daily and has 35k miles on it. I have had no major problems and my only spends have been tyres, brake pads, the occasional service and a new chain and sprocket set. Overall it has been a very reliable bike so far.
05 Tiger Lucifer Orange (resting) 07 GSX-R1000TT K7 71 Triumph T25T 17 Tiger 1050 Sport

BigMark

2005 model somewhere about 35k.
no problems other than wear and tear.

Advwannabe

The charging and brake system problems described by Stretch are real. However, take a look at the thread devoted to these problems and you can see that they are rectifiable and should not detract from an otherwise great bike.

Of more concern in my view is the poor aerodynamics and the fundamental top heaviness built into every Girly. Some riders don't notice them, some enjoy the other great features of the bike and ride around them, some find acceptable solutions and some find ownership a miserable experience ( a very small minority).

Just make sure you have a really good try before you buy. I'd have another one tomorrow
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Flyguy

Thanks for all the help.

fret

I've had 2 955i's now.

The first was a 2004 spoked wheel model. Problems listed as below in 11000 miles

Incompatible disc and pads. First in the UK and was like a warped disc. Basically the discs would warm up, the pads would overheat and fail, then work, fail etc which felt like a pulsing effect. Personally I reckon the discs warped.

TRIUMPH badge fell off one pannier.

That's it. I was even on the original Tourance tyres and never adjusted the chain either.

Current is a 2007

Only done 200 miles so far in the last week (total is 9700) and there is only one niggle. The suspension is lower so the bike stands more upright than the older versions, meaning it can fall off the sidestand if not careful.

Apart from that I can only agree with the original post about wind protection/noise and add that changing headlight lamps is a right pain in the arse.

Fit OSRAM NIGHTRACERS to the headlights, they really do work far better.

Spud

I've lost a badge on a pannier as well and that's about all that has gone wrong in four years, fingers crossed. Thought about fitting nightracers. cheers Spud  :wink:

Chris Canning

My first 885i(after 6 weeks) blew a head gasket and so did I !! and got rid of it and had another new one,that had discs/shocks replaced and just leaked from the head gasket,my 955 broke a female fuel connector in the worsed possible synario,but apart from that it's been fantastic,i've had it 9 years next may.

moose

2000 model with 46,000 miles on the clock.  Apart from service items I have replaced a warped disc (rotor) and replaced fuel connections in tank.

Thats it......apart from stuff I trid and failed with  :oops:

brittour95

I've a 2005 Tiger that's just rolled over 56,500 miles and the only real 'problem' mine's had is the wonky fuel guage.  That's not super critical if you watch the trip meter.  I need to make the voltage fix, but really, I couldn't be happier with this machine.

Sasquatch

2001 955i Tiger.  49,200 miles (hope to hit 50k this weekend)

Problems encountered:

-Fuel fitting failed, one week before recall, 900 miles from home in the middle of the Mojave desert in 100+ temps.  Triumph bent over backwards to make it good though, so I appreciate that.

-Low charge voltage.  I came up with the "Sasquatch Mod" that fixed it.

-Radiator caps last about 2 years, irregardless on miles.

-Rear brake pads wear quick (rider issue, not bike)

-Very constant, but insanely twisted fuel gauge issue that NO ONE has ever seen before.  I deal with it because it always comes around.

-Soft intake valves.  Some 2001s had this issue.  Finally ran out of adjustment and installed a new, low mileage used head (8,000 on head).

-Soft suspension, but I have a guy that fixed that for me. :wink:

-Goes through tires faster than fast.  7k is about all I can get out of a rear.

-PITA filter cleaning procedure.

But I love her.  No intentions on anything new any time in the near future.  Swallows miles with ease.  Goes off pavement without a fuss.  Carries a metric boat load of gear and has only failed on the road once. (fuel fitting).

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Sasquatch"-Fuel fitting failed, one week before recall, 900 miles from home in the middle of the Mojave desert in 100+ temps.  Triumph bent over backwards to make it good though, so I appreciate that.

Out of interst what as the recall,i know Triumph recalled the plastic males,but's it's the females that went belly up on mine like so many other's.