News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Winter Tire?

Started by armadillo76, November 25, 2008, 01:38:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armadillo76

I am looking at TKC80s for my 96 Tiger. My plan is for these to be my winter tires (unless my plan is thwarted, which could still happen). Pat likes the 130 rear for better use off road but the 150 has bigger knobs. Is one or the other better for winter, on road (hopefully!)  riding?
Wouldn't it be nice if someone made a purpose built motorcycle snow tire? Granted it would only be for the 6 nuts who still ride in the winter but I know Nokian (car tires mainly) made studdable snow tires for bicycles.
Thanks, AndyB, NH, 96 Tiger.

REGULATOR

I don't get snow here in the south,  
    I have seen that tire stud  weasal machine advertised for sale in the Aerostich catalog I get in th email....

call me crazy, but are you talking riding in the SNOW or on the streets?

cause on the streets will the snow be cleared off and it will be slick icy?  cause knobbies on cold pavement is no fun on a dirt bike, I can image it woudl be worse on a Tiger ( no experience)

Knobbies in powder snow was always fun on the dirt bikes as a kid on the farm....

armadillo76

Quote from: "REGULATOR"I don't get snow here in the south,  
    I have seen that tire stud  weasal machine advertised for sale in the Aerostich catalog I get in th email....

call me crazy, but are you talking riding in the SNOW or on the streets?

cause on the streets will the snow be cleared off and it will be slick icy?  cause knobbies on cold pavement is no fun on a dirt bike, I can image it woudl be worse on a Tiger ( no experience)

Knobbies in powder snow was always fun on the dirt bikes as a kid on the farm....

Umm, the snow is (will be) on the streets. I'd stud them up too, been talking with a guy at aerostich who is doing the same on his GS. Not the studs with the tool but the other ones that screw in (should be locktited/glued to be sure).
And no, around here the snow is not all cleared off the streets, maybe it would be in Boston or something but I'll have to deal with both. I'm sure I won't ride every day. Heck, there are times when my Ranger in 4WD was nerve wracking. But I won't be waiting for a 60F sunny day either.
Ideally this winter will be like the one before last. That one I could have been riding nearly all winter, standard tires, no problem. As it was the Tiger was in deep storage until the end of March. Three days after taking it out of storage it snowed a foot.
AndyB, NH, 96 Tiger.

Kiwi Tiger

Hey Buddy  -  sounds like you need one of those Snow bikes, now that looks like fun.
Silver 2006 955i Tiger

armadillo76

Quote from: "Kiwi Tiger"Hey Buddy  -  sounds like you need one of those Snow bikes, now that looks like fun.

Not that much fun. It was supposed to be mostly rain tonight. Wrong! By the time I realized it was getting worser it was too late to turn around. Went down at a slow speed on my left side. Those Givi bags do a good job keeping the bike from going all the way down! Luckily a mother driving her son from UNH stopped and the car behind me (didn't see the driver or anything) stopped so traffic would go around me. No damage I could see but daylight will be another matter. They drove me the 2 miles to my house (so close! Yet so far :x ) and a flatbed is picking the bike up :oops:
Well, not only do I feel like an idiot, look like an idiot, I apparently AM an idiot. Now I wonder, would the TKCs have given me better traction? Studs would have helped. What happened? I didn't hit the brake or gas I think it started to slide and maybe then I did get on or off the gas. Took about 2 seconds, probably less. I wonder if I could have done something to save it?
On the bright side I am alive, uninjured so far except my right side is starting to hurt but breathing doesn't make it worse. My Aerostich suit, Triumph boots and Schuberth helmet did their job protecting me (actually I don't think my head hit the ground, maybe it did, no marks) and my Tiger did restart. I just knew there was no way I was getting home without crashing every few feet.
I'll post pictures when I have them so everyone can point and laugh. I guess I just push things too far and don't listen to the little voices in my head  :cry:
AndyB, NH, 96 Snow Tiger needs claws.

REGULATOR

yeah...thats a little too hard core for me,  I think Id have to put a licensce plate on an Quad for winter....

armadillo76

Quote from: "REGULATOR"yeah...thats a little too hard core for me,  I think Id have to put a licensce plate on an Quad for winter....

Well, I'm not into them but that would be a pretty cool way to get around town! I've heard some places have let them be plated but that could be a rumor. I've seen some street going Euro only specials that look pretty cool too (often BMW powered).
Then again there was a time when I started riding that I wouldn't ride in the rain. Got good gear and learned I like it! I'm looking at the snow as a problem that needs to be solved. Just not sure how.
Funny thing is it was almost 40F out. Live and learn.
AndyB, NH, 96 no-snow Tiger.

Kiwi Tiger

There are a few plated here. Contractors use them for roadside spraying and that sot of stuff.  Also its not uncommon to see the local farmers riding them on the sides of the highways, going to another farm I spose.
Silver 2006 955i Tiger

John Stenhouse

Lots of quads plated in England, farmers use them for all sorts over here.

Heavy Tiger and snow don't seem to mix, hope you recover soon.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Mustang

Quote from: "armadillo76"I am looking at TKC80s for my 96 Tiger. My plan is for these to be my winter tires (unless my plan is thwarted, which could still happen). Pat likes the 130 rear for better use off road but the 150 has bigger knobs. Is one or the other better for winter, on road (hopefully!)  riding?
Wouldn't it be nice if someone made a purpose built motorcycle snow tire? Granted it would only be for the 6 nuts who still ride in the winter but I know Nokian (car tires mainly) made studdable snow tires for bicycles.
Thanks, AndyB, NH, 96 Tiger.
Unless you live in Labrador where the pavement is not seen for six months cuz it is under sno pack ............studded tires on pavement work about as good as your metzlers did the other day on a slick icy road ..........you need 3 wheels to ride all winter  :wings