News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

First Timer Chain Replacement

Started by ericgfx, December 23, 2008, 02:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArchRider

Did I read this correctly?  It sounds as though Darmah has gone 105k on 2 or 3 chains.  That would be 35-52k per chain!  :shock: I thought you were supposed to replace the chain every time you replace the sprockets and those are typically shot around 20k.

I'm all for keeping my Tigger in working order but I don't want to be spending money on some part when I could be spending it on some other part. :D

Mustang

Quote from: "ArchRider"Did I read this correctly?  It sounds as though Darmah has gone 105k on 2 or 3 chains.  That would be 35-52k per chain!  :shock: I thought you were supposed to replace the chain every time you replace the sprockets and those are typically shot around 20k.

I'm all for keeping my Tigger in working order but I don't want to be spending money on some part when I could be spending it on some other part. :D
if you use a chain oiler they last for a very long time ........if you are not very anal about oiling the chain properly all the time you will be lucky to see 20 k out of a chain . chains do not like heat and friction , oilers solve both problems

ArchRider

Ahh... that makes sense.  After this round of routine maintenance, I might have to invest in an oiler.

cdubya

Quote from: "cdubya"Thanks Mustang.
Anyone know the counter shaft sprocket nut size for an '05 Girly? I expect a socket that large is going to be spendy.  :shock:

Counter shaft sprocket is 36mm.
06 Girly

Marc

Quote from: Tom Herold on December 23, 2008, 03:00:20 PM
- Put the bike in gear, then loosen the locking tabs on the drive sprocket nut, and with a helper holding down the rear brake lever firmly, break the sprocket nut loose. This thing is torqued on tightly, I use a breaker bar, socket, and a lot of ass to do this...

Bought a 19T sprocket, but can't manage to break the sprocket nut loose  :icon_evil:
According to the manual, this nut has a torque of 132Nm  :icon_eek:  and with the bike in gear, I'm afraid to do some damage.
I assume the nut is a normal thread (not a left one)?
Any other methods than a lot of ass to do this? (have no compressor gun)
Tiger Explorer Graphite 2013
Bonneville SE 2010 (missus)
previous bikes:
   Tiger 955i Orange  2003
   BMW K1  1989
   Ducati 750S '72
   Matchless G80 '57
   Matchless G3L '39

Mustang

Quote from: Marc on June 06, 2013, 12:20:34 PM
Quote from: Tom Herold on December 23, 2008, 03:00:20 PM
- Put the bike in gear, then loosen the locking tabs on the drive sprocket nut, and with a helper holding down the rear brake lever firmly, break the sprocket nut loose. This thing is torqued on tightly, I use a breaker bar, socket, and a lot of ass to do this...

Bought a 19T sprocket, but can't manage to break the sprocket nut loose  :icon_evil:
According to the manual, this nut has a torque of 132Nm  :icon_eek:  and with the bike in gear, I'm afraid to do some damage.
I assume the nut is a normal thread (not a left one)?
Any other methods than a lot of ass to do this? (have no compressor gun)
slip a 3 ft piece of pipe over the ratchet handle or breaker bar and with someone holding down your rear brake ...............if you have already removed chain and wheel you need to put them back on to accomplish this

Dutch

Otherwise drill a couple of holes on the inside of the nut. This relieves tension and the nut comes off easier. Obviously you need a new nut but they don't cost the world.

Re the post of ArchRider last year: the front sprocket wears out the quickest and is relatively inexpensive. So some replace this about halfway the expected life of chain and rear sprocket.

tigergotcha

Final info on chain and sprockets (955 girlies, spoke and cast wheels)

Chain: 114 links DID X-Ring Chain 530 (50VX)  - for both spoke and cast wheels

Sprockets specs: