News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How far off road?

Started by mikethewelder, May 21, 2004, 03:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikethewelder

Just how far off road does everybody go on their Tiger? My bike has Torrance tires-am I limited to dirt roads with them?

Sasquatch

You are not just limited to dirt roads by the tires.  Drop them to 25psi and have a ball.

http://www.triumph-tiger.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=256

Of course, I would not ride anything like this without a proper skid plate.  You should see the battle scars in mine.

Jay

Tigermoto

TigerJay,

Triumphant pics!  Got my Tiger in snow this spring on a trip to a business meeting near Sturgis, SD.  Some minor off-road time in the Black Hills but didn't get anywhere near your experience.  The snow is not a good thing, but got pics - "SnowCat"?............Mark.
Mark O. Jensen

\'01 Triumph Tiger \"Tigermoto\"

former: 119th Fighter Wing, NDANG, Flt Surg

BigDave

Quote from: "mikethewelder"Just how far off road does everybody go on their Tiger? My bike has Torrance tires-am I limited to dirt roads with them?

The Tourances are horrible off-road.  Load your Tiger up with Continental TKC 80's!

The more protection you can afford the better.  Be sure wo watch big rocks and big stumps.  You dont want to smash the oil cooler lines...

Sasquatch

Quote from: "BigDaveThe Tourances are horrible off-road.  Load your Tiger up with Continental TKC 80's!

Not that bad actually.  If you drop the pressures to around 25psi front and rear on the Tourances, they are not bad at all off road.  My fathers Tiger has the TKC 80's and mine the Tourances.  On our last ride on hardpack, but rough forest roads, we swapped back and forth to really see the difference between the tires.  Minimal at best.

In deep sand on the White Rim Trail in Moab, we found the same result.  The Tourances gave nothing up to the TKCs.  

In mud, now that is a different story.  The TKCs are the only tiger if there is any chance of mud.

These findings really suprised us.  I was not looking forward to putting TKCs on my bike because I do thousands of miles on pavement and I would just shread them.  Now, I know, for a fact, that the Tourances are not bad at all as long as you lower the pressures.