News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Clutch Lifter Arm Modification

Started by walker, February 03, 2009, 05:12:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walker

OK - so here is part II (the first part was just using a cable with less bends in it). Do that, and then this, and WOW! The best thing is - it's OEM parts interchange, nothing custom.

THE IDEA

In 2006 - there was a blurb about "modified" or "reduced clutch effort" for that model year in many of the reviews online. That got me thinking - what DID They change, if anything? Looking at the parts - most of it was the same - but 2 things had new part numbers! The "Clutch Lifter Arm" and the "Clutch Cable Holder". Another indicator that this was the right path - there are several kits and replacement parts - listed as a "clutch span kit" or a "long throw clutch lever" type kits on the internet with triumph part numbers... There is even one on the Jack Lilley website.

Based on this - I figured - well, someone must have complained long enough about the excessive effort for the clutch, and there appears to be a fix on the 2006 model from the factory. Good news! OEM parts! That might fit with no modification.

Now - a longer lifter arm will create a longer effective lever, reducing effort at the expense of a slightly longer clutch release. So what! I think the friction zone is too narrow anyway, and there is a lot of free play at the lever.

The biggest question - would a lifter arm from a 955i motor work with my 885i motor? The part numbers for my lifter arm (1999-2000 885i) are the same as the 955i up till the 2006 model - so why not?

PARTS NEEDED
You will need 4 things for the 955. For the 885, you'll need 3.... (because the last one won't fit the 885 motor)

LIFTER ARM
SPIROL PIN
CLUTCH COVER GASKET
CLUTCH CABLE HOLDER (955 only)

I ordered the lifter arm from bike bandit...

LIFTER ARM,CLUTCH
ENG NO 232539 AND HIGHER
5565862-001    $67.04

There is also a small pin listed - triumph does not stock it, even though bikebandit pretends you can still order one.... luckily, it's just a little rolled metal pin you can get at hardware stores. This will hold the return spring in place.... you reuse the small flat washer that goes under the spring between the spring and the housing.

SPIROL PIN, 3 X 18 MM
5575738-001  $0.98

You may need a gasket - mine was fine, but I have a few spares lying around - they run $14 or so from bikebandit...

885 motor gasket
GASKET, CRANK/CLUTCH COVER
5567286-001    $13.67

955 motor gasket
GASKET,CLUTCH COVER
5567315-001    $8.82

Final part - if you have a 955 motor, you can get the modified clutch cable holder... if you have an 885 motor, you have to bend the one you have. No big deal.

HOLDER,CLUTCH CABLE
ENG NO 232539 AND HIGHER
5565867-001     $5.17

INSTRUCTIONS

1. detach the clutch cable at the lifter, and remove the side clutch cover.
2. NOTE: I drained the oil - don't forget that!.
3. remove the clutch cover
4. rotate and remove the clutch lifter arm (nothing holds it in place once the cover is off)
5. take the spring, and washer off the old lifter arm
6. after you put a spirol pin in the new lifter (and bend as necessary)... replace the NEW one in the clutch cover
7. DON'T forget the washer and spring!
8. put the cover back on. (replacing the gasket if you think it needs it).
9. attach the clutch cable mount, and the clutch cable
10. adjust clutch for free play...
11. put oil back in engine

ILLUSTRATIONS

here is the lifter along with the old one. The one on the LEFT is the new one. It is sent, from the factory, with a flat top part - I used a pair of pliers to bend the tip up just a bit for clearance (more on that in a bit). For the 955 - this should not be necessary (I can't confirm - I don't have one)

Here is a top view of the top part of the clutch lifter - seems to be the only difference. Note the slight bend I put in the one at the back in the picture (the shorter with the sharp bends is the stock version). Not much of a length difference - it's 10mm as measured. HUGE difference in effort!

This shows a close up of the Spirol Pin. I just got a roll pin or whatever it was called from Lowe's. Compressed one end a bit - then tapped it on in with a hammer. It's only job is to hold pressure on the little wound spring, so it doesn't get much pressure when in use anyway. A small sawed off nail would probably work as well.

This picture shows why, on the 885 you bend the tip.... the clearance is REALLY tight if you have the stock straight part.... it cleared by about 1mm. Or less. It's longer and reaches over a different area of the clutch housing... it's close! The other problem - since the angle is different with the 885 clutch cable holder and the stock lifter arm, the cable was rubbing on the cable housing as it operated.... the cable needs to be aligned to be even with the linear direction of the cable movement... so, a slight bend centered it vertically.... but not horizontally... (using a 955, just buy the different bracket and call it a day)

885i bracket - needs to be modified slightly.... so - we take a screwdriver - NOTE: this is easier when it's mounted on the bike (you could use a vise, but the metal is soft and bends easy). Using slight pressure - pull the handle of the screwdriver towards you - think of using the screwdriver to twist the round part of the bracket. It's not brittle metal, and it bends easily. HINT: use a large diameter screwdriver, it's easier and won't deform the round loop part of the bracket where the cable housing goes through.

Here is a top angle - when it's mounted, you can use the screwdriver to line up a centerline through the bracket to the end of the clutch lifter (sorry I don't have a pic of that - this will have to do).

The pull is so much lighter and smooth. Those of you who have a 2006 don't know what you are not missing! (haha!).

Stretch

Kickin'!  With the longer lever throw, the feel and control of the clutch must be improved as well...  a good thing on rough terrain.

Thanks for the tip.

I've linked this thread to Girly Wisdom.

cavi

Anyone have pictures for this mod as the current links are dead?

Bixxer Bob

A lot of links where lost when the forum migrated a few years back.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

If you look on here the Belgian guy who had the red 955(bought a 1200 I think)bought his arm from a shop.

cavi

sorry but I do not see a post from the belgian guy?

Chris Canning

No I can't find it either or any of his posts for that matter his photo on the side of his has him with a pudding basin helmet.

Chris Canning

No idea how to copy and paste on my iPad search 'clutch cable modification'OP is Marc with photos te boot :icon_biggrin:

edit: admin
http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,12512.0/topicseen.html

Mustang

Quote from: Chris Canning on May 04, 2016, 06:58:51 AM
No idea how to copy and paste on my iPad .........................................
hold your finger on it for a few seconds ,you'll figure it out