News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Engine Rebuild

Started by Lucifertiger, May 26, 2004, 09:06:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucifertiger

I own a 2003 Luifer orange Tiger. I noticed that after about 5,000kms it had a bit of a drinking problem (like me!) I had used a litre in 4,000kms. At 10,000 it was the same, but between 10 to 14 it used 1.5 litres, than 14 to 17 two litres! Finally Triumph have bitten the bullet and have decided to pull it down to put some new rings in. It was strange how sometimes it used to blow a bit of smoke and then stop, it was never predictable. Now I am waiting for the parts to come from Hinkley to OZ. Has anyoneone else had similar problems?

Gazza

I like the picture. I've always wondered how far I'm leaning when I scrape the pegs.

Chris Canning

I bought a new 900i in 99,after 6 weeks and 1800 miles it started to weep very badly from the head gasket,the shop offered to strip it,and replace it,i turned the offer down flat,after handbags at ten paces!!! with both the shop nad the factoryi paid the shop some more money(not a lot and i had done 1800 miles) and i had a brand new bike.

Chris

shags

An engine re -build at only 17,000km? That is terrible. I would be jumping up and down big time. I bought a new Tiger in 2002 and the motor was a stonker - BUT - it rattled a lot sometimes and developed a bad oil leak from the crankcase.  It was eventually fixed (after much hassle) but then the oil consumption increased and I sensed I was about to get major grief.  I traded on a new GS Adventure and have not looked back.

I liked my Tiger, but was dissappointed with the quality and support. Good luck with the re-build! :evil:  :twisted:

Chris Canning

It's just a matter of pot luck when buying a bike,as i've said before i also own a BM1100s,there are plenty of BM horror stories i can tell you,after my first Tiger being a dud,used my second 900i to travel all over Europe without any problems,just a few warranty things,i've had my 955 for over three years now and it's been a gem.

Chris