News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Installing Metal Fuel Fittings

Started by EvilBetty, February 20, 2009, 10:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Canning

Still got the original males on mine it's only the females that caused the trouble fuel connectors that is  :icon_biggrin:

benebob

Just to get this straight as I didn't realize that the later Tigers do not have these fittings right?  Took my tank of the 06 today for the first time to replace my regulator with a series style and was planning to order some metal fittings.  Seems  don't need to unless I'm missing something.  That said, is there a replacment for the fragile looking fitting on the tank side of an 06.
99 Tiger 885i (Killed 12/23/12 9:52am EST by a drunk driver) 06 Tiger 955i (traded 12/23/16  12:52pm)
13 Tiger 800

iansoady

I think your bike only has one but AFAIK it's still the feeble plastic version which should be replaced by a metal one. But others will know better.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

dino1

I have the metal fittings on my tank but my o rings are shot. Where to go for replacement o rings??

John Stenhouse

Search for Viton O rings on here they were listed in someones post
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

klingklang

It is my turn, mine broke while removing the tank.  just to share if needed, enter the parts number here
freshwatersystems.com

10-14$

Jonsharron

Hey KlingKlang, now my tank just started leaking gas!...I have plastic fuel fittings going into the tank.  I checked freshwatersystems.com and my postage to toronto was $51 usd.  Was it the same for you?  Seems crazy.  Cheers, Jon :5moped

Dyn Blin

may be worth checking the o-rings.  Any nick or brittleness from age with cause them to leak.  However, I'm surprised any of the old nylon fittings have lasted to this point, & a good idea to swap them out even if a bit costly.  Any plumbing outfit that carries "Colder" brand fittings can source them.  The cost seems a bit high.
This is why we can't have nice things.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: benebob on April 03, 2015, 06:31:15 PM
Just to get this straight as I didn't realize that the later Tigers do not have these fittings right?  Took my tank of the 06 today for the first time to replace my regulator with a series style and was planning to order some metal fittings.  Seems  don't need to unless I'm missing something.  That said, is there a replacment for the fragile looking fitting on the tank side of an 06.

The cast wheel tigers have only one metal male fitting.  The female fitting is plastic but doesn't give any trouble except the viton O ring sometimes leaks.

Funnily enough, Triumph are now recommending changing the fuel hose every four years across the whole range of bikes.  I presume to counter increasingly high % ethanol in the fuel  :icon_rolleyes:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Just another update for people mainly for UK though if your looking for suppliers;

Ive just ordered the whole kit and kaboodle to replace the plastic females in the tank with metal and also a set of plastic ones to make up an extension hose set.

From these people   http://uk.rs-online.com/web/

RS P/No: 387-2511    Colder Products P/No: LCD10004BSPT  (Metal Females for Tank)

RS P/No: 138-278      Colder Products P/No: PLCD17006  ( Plastic Barbed Valved Females for Extensions, To Fuel lines)

RS P/No: 138-385      Colder Products P/No: PLC22006 ( Plastic Barbed Non-Valved Males for extensions, To Tank)

Free next working day delivery, or even collection from some branches, the whole lot was around £57 delivered, the metal ones account for £37 so the complete extension hose set up will cost around £25, Triumph wanted £100 or so last time I checked

Oh, Ive also ordered a pack of 10 O rings for the males as one of mine has a slight nick in it, so If anybody needs 1 in a hurry give me a shout and I'll stick one in an envelope
2016 Tiger Sport

tk1ng

I got my Tiger (an 03) last spring, rode the heck out of it all summer: http://tkmotorcyclediaries.blogspot.ca/2016/07/around-huron.html
... and then put it away for a long Canadian winter.  When I took the tank off last year it didn't cut the fuel flow when I removed the pipes so I stuck a pencil in it.  When it did it again this time I discovered this thread and just ordered the metal fittings you suggested.  Thanks for this.

Funny how even years later this thread is keeping Tigers going.

Commuting through ice fog on one of my last days on 2 wheels in 2016
@tk1ng

Sin_Tiger

Not so  :rfl that there are still some out there with plastic fittings holding on for dear life, glad you got them before they  :grnb got you.

Crackin photo  :thumbsup
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Quote from: tk1ng on January 04, 2017, 10:53:25 PM
I got my Tiger (an 03) last spring, rode the heck out of it all summer: http://tkmotorcyclediaries.blogspot.ca/2016/07/around-huron.html
... and then put it away for a long Canadian winter.  When I took the tank off last year it didn't cut the fuel flow when I removed the pipes so I stuck a pencil in it.  When it did it again this time I discovered this thread and just ordered the metal fittings you suggested.  Thanks for this.

Funny how even years later this thread is keeping Tigers going.

The thing is, as many here know, Triumphs recall all them years ago only ever covered the male fittings for the hoses, they somehow got away with the females in the tank plate, so yes its very possible that there are still many out there with potential time bombs.
2016 Tiger Sport

t4tiger

Million thank yous for the write up.  Just done this with no problems.  The bit about not screwing the tapered threads in too far was a life saver.

born to be mild

Same here, fitted the Stainless ones from RS as per Tombox's post, they went in a treat. Fourteen years of the plastic ones sitting over the heat of the engine as they age and being exposed to petrol doesn't bode well.