Author Topic: Installing Metal Fuel Fittings  (Read 41381 times)

February 21, 2011, 08:58:09 AMReply #60 on

Offline EvilBetty (OP)

• Cool Cats
  • Bengal Tiger
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
I almost edited my response on the other thread to suggest you check the male fitting o rings.  One of my leaks was attributed to a knackered o-ring.

I found some in the HELP! brand section of the auto parts store.  I pack of various sizes of brown Vitton o-rings.  Was about $5 I think.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

February 21, 2011, 11:08:52 AMReply #61 on

Offline iansoady

• Bengal Tiger
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
Quote from: "jwray76"
Now I need to see where I can get some of the right sized o-rings from.

Your local friendly dealer. But take plenty of cash......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

February 22, 2011, 03:20:29 AMReply #62 on

Offline jwray76

• Puma
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
So I found some o-rings today and that seemed to fix the major part of my problem. Still not happy with how the fittings work though, even with the o-rings oiled up it is very difficult to get them installed without pinching an o-ring. For future reference the o-ring appears to be 5/16" ID by 7/16" OD with 1/16" thickness.

Unfortunately thought that wasn't the entire problem. Apparently it is leaking at the threads too. I think it is a combination of not tightening enough and not letting the thread sealent cure.

So it looks like I need to siphon the tank and go at it again  :twisted:

Oh well at least the weather isn't too good yet.

February 22, 2011, 11:08:46 AMReply #63 on

Offline iansoady

• Bengal Tiger
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
Remember you need Viton O rings or they'll just swell up and disintegrate.

When you put the two parts of the coupling together, push the spring clip so it doesn't catch the O ring.

Lubricate the ring with a smear of Vaseline or similar.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

March 02, 2011, 02:43:06 AMReply #64 on

Offline oradbaforpsoft

• Felis Domesticus
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
Add me to the list of grateful owners for this write-up.
I just replaced my fittings - on the tank side. Thank's to this post I was able to not break anything or lose anything.
At the same time I replaced the fuel filter with a BMW equivalent, as well as the tank plate rubber gasket.
I used teflon tape and tested for leaks by making extension hoses - as per another article in here - an starting up with the tank on a table next to the bike.
The only thing I would have done differently, is empty the tank using one of those extension hoses prior to removal - siphoning using a hose sucks and gasoline tastes really bad.
I am now learning to use the mustang valve shim tool, replacing brake pads, looking to flush the cooling system, etc. etc.. not bad for a noob.
Thanks EB - you rock!
Dave in KCMO: 2003 Tiger 955i - Lucifer Orange, 2010 Rocket III Roadster - Phantom Black, 2004 Speed Four Yellow - Resurrected

March 02, 2011, 03:39:33 AMReply #65 on

Offline jwray76

• Puma
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
glad it worked for you the first time! I did get a chance to work on mine again this weekend and it appears that I am good to go now. I used a thread tape for gas lines this time (PTFE) and tightened down the fittings quite far. Also I just got some of the Viton O-rings in from the coupling vendor today so I will swap those out soon. I will keep my fingers crossed that I have no more leaks.

March 02, 2011, 06:06:44 AMReply #66 on

Offline EvilBetty (OP)

• Cool Cats
  • Bengal Tiger
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
Awesome guys.  Glad you're getting them sorted.

This bike rejuvenated my withering mechanical skills as well.  Last car I changed oil on before getting this bike had a carburetor!
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

March 15, 2011, 10:58:17 AMReply #67 on

Offline jrockrat

• Tiger Cub
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
Does anyone know for sure if the 1999 Girly would need the 3/8 or 1/4 size for the fuel line side? I know in the original post I saw EB used one of each, but in a later post someone said the 1/4 was too small so they sent for another 3/8.
Thanks for the help!

March 15, 2011, 11:10:13 AMReply #68 on

Offline jwray76

• Puma
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
Quote from: "jrockrat"
Does anyone know for sure if the 1999 Girly would need the 3/8 or 1/4 size for the fuel line side? I know in the original post I saw EB used one of each, but in a later post someone said the 1/4 was too small so they sent for another 3/8.
Thanks for the help!

I used one of each on my 2002 and just used a screw type clamp to make sure the 1/4" was nice and tight.

March 22, 2011, 11:24:26 PMReply #69 on

Offline jrockrat

• Tiger Cub
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
FYI
On my 1999 Tiger (2) 3/8 hose barb fittings would have been the way to go. The 1/4 is really small and I don't know if I want to risk trying to clamp the hose down on it and then hope it doesn't leak.
It looks like both hoses have the same ID, just a different OD. I should have torn into it before ordering but hey live and learn.
I'm trying to see if I can exchange, but don't know if they'll go for that...we'll see.

March 25, 2011, 01:13:16 PMReply #70 on

Offline jrockrat

• Tiger Cub
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
Well QuickCouplings.com is going to do me an even swap. That's a good company. I'd recommend them if anyone is looking to do this upgrage.

March 30, 2011, 03:57:35 AMReply #71 on

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Got any pics of your Tiger out and about in Anchorage Fishbone? I always wondered about Anchorage since the song by Michelle Shocked made it famous....

Hey Bixxer Bob, sorry for the delayed responsemust have missed your post. I don't have any pics of Anchorage but I have a lot around the state. Had trouble attaching pics. When I figure it out I'll PM a few.

April 04, 2011, 06:17:35 PMReply #72 on

Offline Totos Tiger

• Tiger Cub
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
Thanks for the write-up.  Just bought my 2003 recently and it has aluminum fittings on the hoses plugged into the plastic fittings I believe.  The plastic ones are screwed into the tank.  Should I replace all 4 or just the plastic ones.  I am not sure if these are interchangable with the metal fittings.

April 05, 2011, 12:51:42 AMReply #73 on

Offline matts23

• Felis Domesticus
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
I just replaced my tank side fittings last weekend.  My 2002 has red anodized aluminum hose side fittings.  I put new metal female tank side fittings on.  I had no problems except for, like others on here, the o-ring on the male side was not very good after removing the fitting from the tank.  The existing aluminum fittings will work with the new females, but I would get a couple new viton o-rings size 5/16" ID 7/16" OD to make sure you have a good seal.  Mine leaked when I first put it back together, so I replaced the o-rings on the male sides and sealed up perfectly with the old hose side fittings.  I am going to order a pack of the right size o-rings and every time i remove the tank, I will just replace them for piece of mind.  Cheap insurance if you ask me.
----------------------------------------------------------

2002 Tiger (Roulette Green)
1996 Honda XR400R Supermoto St. Legal

April 05, 2011, 01:24:57 AMReply #74 on

Offline Totos Tiger

• Tiger Cub
  • Activity Meter:
    0%
Thanks for the quick response.  Where did you find the viton o-rings?