News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Installing Metal Fuel Fittings

Started by EvilBetty, February 20, 2009, 10:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilBetty

I almost edited my response on the other thread to suggest you check the male fitting o rings.  One of my leaks was attributed to a knackered o-ring.

I found some in the HELP! brand section of the auto parts store.  I pack of various sizes of brown Vitton o-rings.  Was about $5 I think.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

iansoady

Quote from: "jwray76"Now I need to see where I can get some of the right sized o-rings from.

Your local friendly dealer. But take plenty of cash......
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

jwray76

So I found some o-rings today and that seemed to fix the major part of my problem. Still not happy with how the fittings work though, even with the o-rings oiled up it is very difficult to get them installed without pinching an o-ring. For future reference the o-ring appears to be 5/16" ID by 7/16" OD with 1/16" thickness.

Unfortunately thought that wasn't the entire problem. Apparently it is leaking at the threads too. I think it is a combination of not tightening enough and not letting the thread sealent cure.

So it looks like I need to siphon the tank and go at it again  :twisted:

Oh well at least the weather isn't too good yet.

iansoady

Remember you need Viton O rings or they'll just swell up and disintegrate.

When you put the two parts of the coupling together, push the spring clip so it doesn't catch the O ring.

Lubricate the ring with a smear of Vaseline or similar.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

oradbaforpsoft

Add me to the list of grateful owners for this write-up.
I just replaced my fittings - on the tank side. Thank's to this post I was able to not break anything or lose anything.
At the same time I replaced the fuel filter with a BMW equivalent, as well as the tank plate rubber gasket.
I used teflon tape and tested for leaks by making extension hoses - as per another article in here - an starting up with the tank on a table next to the bike.
The only thing I would have done differently, is empty the tank using one of those extension hoses prior to removal - siphoning using a hose sucks and gasoline tastes really bad.
I am now learning to use the mustang valve shim tool, replacing brake pads, looking to flush the cooling system, etc. etc.. not bad for a noob.
Thanks EB - you rock!
Dave in KCMO: 2003 Tiger 955i - Lucifer Orange

jwray76

glad it worked for you the first time! I did get a chance to work on mine again this weekend and it appears that I am good to go now. I used a thread tape for gas lines this time (PTFE) and tightened down the fittings quite far. Also I just got some of the Viton O-rings in from the coupling vendor today so I will swap those out soon. I will keep my fingers crossed that I have no more leaks.

EvilBetty

Awesome guys.  Glad you're getting them sorted.

This bike rejuvenated my withering mechanical skills as well.  Last car I changed oil on before getting this bike had a carburetor!
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

jrockrat

Does anyone know for sure if the 1999 Girly would need the 3/8 or 1/4 size for the fuel line side? I know in the original post I saw EB used one of each, but in a later post someone said the 1/4 was too small so they sent for another 3/8.
Thanks for the help!

jwray76

Quote from: "jrockrat"Does anyone know for sure if the 1999 Girly would need the 3/8 or 1/4 size for the fuel line side? I know in the original post I saw EB used one of each, but in a later post someone said the 1/4 was too small so they sent for another 3/8.
Thanks for the help!

I used one of each on my 2002 and just used a screw type clamp to make sure the 1/4" was nice and tight.

jrockrat

On my 1999 Tiger (2) 3/8 hose barb fittings would have been the way to go. The 1/4 is really small and I don't know if I want to risk trying to clamp the hose down on it and then hope it doesn't leak.
It looks like both hoses have the same ID, just a different OD. I should have torn into it before ordering but hey live and learn.
I'm trying to see if I can exchange, but don't know if they'll go for that...we'll see.

jrockrat

Well QuickCouplings.com is going to do me an even swap. That's a good company. I'd recommend them if anyone is looking to do this upgrage.

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"Got any pics of your Tiger out and about in Anchorage Fishbone? I always wondered about Anchorage since the song by Michelle Shocked made it famous....

Hey Bixxer Bob, sorry for the delayed responsemust have missed your post. I don't have any pics of Anchorage but I have a lot around the state. Had trouble attaching pics. When I figure it out I'll PM a few.

Totos Tiger

Thanks for the write-up.  Just bought my 2003 recently and it has aluminum fittings on the hoses plugged into the plastic fittings I believe.  The plastic ones are screwed into the tank.  Should I replace all 4 or just the plastic ones.  I am not sure if these are interchangable with the metal fittings.

matts23

I just replaced my tank side fittings last weekend.  My 2002 has red anodized aluminum hose side fittings.  I put new metal female tank side fittings on.  I had no problems except for, like others on here, the o-ring on the male side was not very good after removing the fitting from the tank.  The existing aluminum fittings will work with the new females, but I would get a couple new viton o-rings size 5/16" ID 7/16" OD to make sure you have a good seal.  Mine leaked when I first put it back together, so I replaced the o-rings on the male sides and sealed up perfectly with the old hose side fittings.  I am going to order a pack of the right size o-rings and every time i remove the tank, I will just replace them for piece of mind.  Cheap insurance if you ask me.
----------------------------------------------------------

2002 Tiger (Roulette Green)
1996 Honda XR400R Supermoto St. Legal

Totos Tiger

Thanks for the quick response.  Where did you find the viton o-rings?