News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Installing Metal Fuel Fittings

Started by EvilBetty, February 20, 2009, 10:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"I loved Anchorage! Got a t shirt from the triumph dealer, and some rear pads  8)

Sulk.... :cry:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

wingnut111

So I have a 2003 Girly that was leaking gas (damn plastic connects) and ordered and got the metal ones that I read about here on the site. Rode the bike pissing gas to the local bike shop and asked him to put 'em in. I gave them the instructions taking care to write "Be careful to loosen 1/4 turn gently as these (plastic ones) are known to break. Later HOURS they tell me they're both broken and my fuel pump is damaged. Did they overtighten?
Here's my question. If the fuel pump were damaged how would I have ridden there, how would the bike be able to idle and how would I've been able to do 120mph home from work the other night???
If the pump were faulty wouldn't the bike run rough if at all???
I think he broke it and doesn't want to own up to it!

Any thoughts/comments?
Thanx Van
If it has 2 or 3 wheels I\'ll ride it, race it or wreck it... possibly all three

EvilBetty

Sounds suspicious... I'd ask for a better explanation of what occurred during the attempted repair.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

jphish

Geez - plastic fittings were really a poor idea - what were they thinking ?! Am I correct in assuming the 06 model has metal fittings & thus eliminated the problem ?? It's what I was told by previous owner - but not sure of his 'source'. Don't want to take it on 'faith' - only to be unplesently surprised later. TTFN all.

Timbox2

Quote from: "jphish"Geez - plastic fittings were really a poor idea - what were they thinking ?! Am I correct in assuming the 06 model has metal fittings & thus eliminated the problem ?? It's what I was told by previous owner - but not sure of his 'source'. Don't want to take it on 'faith' - only to be unplesently surprised later. TTFN all.

The 05 model( Some 04's) onwards has the later setup, only 1 pipe and on the tank its just a right angle metal tube which the fuel pipe pushes over and locks on, Ive had mine off loads of times, never an issue
2016 Tiger Sport

jphish

Thanks Timbox - I'll rest / ride easy knowing there is one less "inconvenience" awaiting. It takes awhile to sort out all the various "beasts" quirks / idiosynchrosies & weak points. After 2 years - finally got my Uly sorted. 06' Tiger seems a bit less 'error prone' in its construction / design. Guess by the end of the Girly run - they got it figured out...then of course you discontinue that model, and move to another.

Biglad

Hi All, changed my female plastic fittings for the metal ones this evening. Unfortunately the top one snapped on me and left the plastic threads in the tank plate. It was an absolute horrible job to get this plastic sh*t out. It was stuck fast with some pink stuff and I could not prevent some bits from falling in to whatever is behind the connections. They are only small bits but can they do any harm? The tank is not back on the bike and I don't want to run her before I know everything is OK. Not looking to f-up my fuel pump or something.
2001 955i Roulette Green

walker

Biglad - I did the exact same thing. Just remove the plate - on the back is the fuel pump and the fuel filter... you can disconnect the hoses and flush out any plastic bits.

You should be able to reuse the gasket on the metal plate. Mine was in sad shape, but seals just fine.

You'll want to get them out to prevent them from washing down into the fuel rail and causing problems.

Biglad

Quote from: "walker"Biglad - I did the exact same thing. Just remove the plate - on the back is the fuel pump and the fuel filter... you can disconnect the hoses and flush out any plastic bits.

You should be able to reuse the gasket on the metal plate. Mine was in sad shape, but seals just fine.

You'll want to get them out to prevent them from washing down into the fuel rail and causing problems.

Thanks you for the reply. I was tempted not to touch it as the bits fell in to the return line. I do however not know if this means they will end up in the filter or could they end up in the fuel rack because returned fuel does not pass through the filter again...

The haynes tells me the gasket behind the plate needs replaced which to me means ordering more bits from far away which is a bit of a pain. If it has to como off I might chance reusing it.

It would be great if somebody knew if the return is passing through the filter again or not, i.e. where do the bits end up?
2001 955i Roulette Green

iansoady

The return doesn't go through the filter. It does go through the pressure regulator (which is how the pressure is regulated oddly enough).

I took the plate off when I replaced the fittings purely becuase the tank is such an awkward object to handle, but I was lucky and the female plastic parts came out without any drama, and the gasket was in good shape so no problems there either. I must say it's nice to work with substantial rubber gaskets instead of silly paper things like on my Beeza.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

I actually had my tank lieing on side with a blanket under the filler cap bit to prop it up and one of the other side to stop it sliding,like all the others have said,it's easy peasy taking it out,and incase you missed the how to bit,buy a filter from a BMW dealer their cheaper.

Biglad

That's the way I went at it as well. Tank on an old sleepingbag on it's side supported all around. I suspect there's only a liter or two of petrol in the tank which was helpfull.

I've bought a few clear sorting boxes in my local LIDL at 1.99 each. They have a lot of little compartments to keep screws you remove, fittings and springs etc.

I have decided not to take the plate of the tank at this stage, unless these little bits come back to haunt me.

I would like to get her out on the road for a few miles as that's the only thing I haven't done yet!! I'm sure I'll find one or two more things to do after. I'd like to get that chain and sprockets fitted as well...
2001 955i Roulette Green

jwray76

Replaced mine today and everything wend really smoothly. Unfortunately when I took it out for a short test ride later they started to leak some when under pressure. Pretty sure it is not leaking at the threads on the tank. Hopefully it is just the one hose that was a little loose with the stock clamp. I will take a look at it tomorrow and see.

EvilBetty

Mine did that too... it was the threads.  They have the be tightened more than you would think.

A member here suggested hosing the dry fittings and hose connections with deodorant spray. They kind that leaves a white powdery film behind.

Right away showed my upper was leaking from the threads.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

jwray76

Quote from: "EvilBetty"Mine did that too... it was the threads.  They have the be tightened more than you would think.

A member here suggested hosing the dry fittings and hose connections with deodorant spray. They kind that leaves a white powdery film behind.

Right away showed my upper was leaking from the threads.

Messed with it for a whilie this afternoon and pretty certain that it isn't the threads. With the fittings disconnected and turning the battery on to pressurize the fuel there is no leak. Looks like the o-rings on the male fittings got buggered up and aren't sealing properly. Now I need to see where I can get some of the right sized o-rings from.