News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Installing Metal Fuel Fittings

Started by EvilBetty, February 20, 2009, 10:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matts23

I remembered EvilBetty saying he found a variety pack at O'reilly auto in the help packages.  I bought a pack there to get going but I am going to order a pack online from McMaster-Carr.  Then I will have 100 of them for about $8.00.  I love that place, you can buy anything from them.
----------------------------------------------------------

2002 Tiger (Roulette Green)
1996 Honda XR400R Supermoto St. Legal

geotiger

Hey all,

Just wanted to let you know my experience.  I have a 2005 tiger that had the plastic fuel fittings so I replaced with the Team Triumph metal kit.  Good thing I did because I no sooner put the socket over the old ones and barely started turning and both plastic females snapped.  So I tried digging out the remaining and only succeeded in buggering up the threads.  A new fuel plate, fuel filter and rubber gasket and I'm back in business.  Installed the metal fittings probably a bit tighter than recommended but they don't leak so far.

I just wanted to post this because I have read that only model years up to 2004 had the crappy plastic fittings.  But in my case I had a 2005 and the plastic fittings.
"The one thing we can learn from history is that we don\'t learn from history." - Shaw

EvilBetty

I had an early 2005 and it too had the old return fuel system with the plastic fittings.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

gilly527

You don't happen to know if the fittings for the 2001 Tiger are the same as the 04 or whatever the year was that has been talked about above?

I just had my tank off today, and put all the hoses back on my my tank female fitting on top is spraying fuel everywhere as soon as the pump goes when the key is turned.
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.

Chris Canning

Quote from: "gilly527"You don't happen to know if the fittings for the 2001 Tiger are the same as the 04 or whatever the year was that has been talked about above?

I just had my tank off today, and put all the hoses back on my my tank female fitting on top is spraying fuel everywhere as soon as the pump goes when the key is turned.

04 should be wire wheel,so the answer is yes,almost certainley you've bust it,could be worse try it while your actually riding the bike and on holiday a long way from home  :(

EvilBetty

Quote from: "gilly527"You don't happen to know if the fittings for the 2001 Tiger are the same as the 04 or whatever the year was that has been talked about above?

Yes, should be the same.

Easiest way to check is to go onto BikeBandit and source the part for your bike, write down their model number.

Then go look it up for the newer model.  See if the part number is the same.  If not, you've got something a bit different.

jrockrat

Still fighting a small leak after doing this! I guess it's the o-ring even though I've tried two different o-rings. It only leaks when the lines are under pressure, and it's leaking at the connection between the male and female fittings. I'm going to try to find some o-rings tomorrow. I sure hope this fixes the problem. For something that seems really straight forward and easy this has been a real pain!

Putts255

I just got mine from the place that Evil Betty recommended.

I confirmed before they arrived that they did not have Viton o-rings and that they will need to be replaced with the Viton type as they will be used for gas.  I am hoping my local auto-shop will have a set for me when I go looking this weekend.

If I get them I will try and post manufacturer and part number, but no guarantee's.
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

EvilBetty

You can only replace the one set on the male fittings.  The valves in each fitting will still be using BUNA rings.

jrockrat

This is crazy!!! I determined something was wrong with one of my female fittings so I ordered another one and installed it. Now it's leaking at the threads!! I keep tightening but it's still leaking. I installed it with threebond 1194 so I'm really starting to get frustrated. The plastic ones weren't leaking but I thought I'd try this due to what I've heard and it's been nothing but problems. I'm thinking of pulling the fitting out AGAIN and putting more threebond on it and try again.
Has anyone actually stripped put the threads with the metal fitting? I'd really like to try tightening it more but don't want and expensive repair. What's crazy is the top fitting worked perfect first time and I don't think it's as tight as I've got the bottom one. I just want to ride!!!! :)

gilly527

I don't know exactly what threebond is... but you should wrap a bunch of teflon tape around the fitting. Make sure that you wrap it the correct direction so that when you screw the fitting in, it doesn't try and unwrap the tape. Also, when I replaced mine, I was surprised how far the fittings actually can screw in. I wouldn't be too worried about it. If you wrap a bunch of teflon tape on there though, you shouldn't have a problem if you get them 'tight'.
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i.

matts23

I used teflon tape and it worked just fine the first time.  Go get the teflon tape in the yellow package though, it is rated for gasoline.  You can find it at home depot where the natural gas pipe and fittings are sold.
----------------------------------------------------------

2002 Tiger (Roulette Green)
1996 Honda XR400R Supermoto St. Legal

jrockrat

Thanks for the input. I'll give the tape a try. At least with that I can tell quicker if it works since I don't have to wait for it to cure like the threebond.

Mustang

Quote from: "jrockrat"Thanks for the input. I'll give the tape a try. At least with that I can tell quicker if it works since I don't have to wait for it to cure like the threebond.
I'm thinking you didn't get the threebond slathered on thick enough and or not fully cured before adding gas to the tank .
the tape will do the trick

EvilBetty

Even I resorted to Teflon tape.   :oops: